Thread: Going to Japan... some help needed on itinery

Default Going to Japan... some help needed on itinery

Hey guys,
    i'm going to jpn with 3 other frens this coming jul. Was thinking whether to go to Tokyo Disney... some pple mentioned that the waiting times take forever... Worthwhile to go if i can only spare 1 day there?

Also, will be going to osaka,kyoto,Nagoya and of course tokyo... would appreciate if pple could put down some very nice places to visit... Any particular restaurants/types of food that's "must-try" or any places that are "must-go" ? thanks in advance.

Default Re: Going to Japan... some help needed on itinery

Quote Originally Posted by londonray
    Hey guys,
    i'm going to jpn with 3 other frens this coming jul. Was thinking whether to go to Tokyo Disney... some pple mentioned that the waiting times take forever... Worthwhile to go if i can only spare 1 day there?

Also, will be going to osaka,kyoto,Nagoya and of course tokyo... would appreciate if pple could put down some very nice places to visit... Any particular restaurants/types of food that's "must-try" or any places that are "must-go" ? thanks in advance.

It's the summer holidays now, the waiting at Disneyland is going to be impossible... =="
    In the kitchen of Japan(Osaka), of course must try takoyaki and okonomiyaki there. The
    Shinsaibashi stretch in Osaka is quite nice for shopping. Start from the Sony Tower near Umeda, then walk all the way pass th Glico Man to Namba Takashimaya.

Arrow Re: Going to Japan... some help needed on itinery

If you are in Osaka, there is a small takoyaki stall somewhere near the Glico man. The takoyaki is just marvellous.

At the Kyoto train station, you must try out the Kyoto hotel toilet, that toilet is state of the art.

Yodobashi in Umeda.
    Last edited by xtemujin; 3rd July 2006 at 09:27 PM.

1) remember buy the 7 days or more JR pass in sg before go tokyo. travel from tokyo to osaka will be expensive.
    2) there are disneyland and disney sea, each will occupy 1 day. go on weekday. avoid going on weekend. always take the fast pass and come back at the time mentioned. so u can aviod to wait.
    3) tokyo,
    -u can go harajuku, just beside the train station, hv youngsters wear very rock and in cloths on weekend. u can take photo with them too.
    -akihabara, place that sell a lot of electronic stuffs. but no point to buy at duty free shop. more expensive. you can buy at Big Camera. or some very small shop distance from station. sega building.
    -Asakusa, u can buy souvenir then take the special boat to Odaiba, u can c small size of statue of liberty and rainbow bridge.
    -suggest avoid Mt fuji, the moutain is 'botak' in summer.
    -shinjuku also gd place for shopping
    -ginza, sony building, kiddy land.
    -ghibli museum, if u like Hayao Miyazaki animation. weekend always full. ticket must buy advance at Lawson.

4)kyoto,
    place of temples. take 1 day bus pass. then plan those temples u would like to go.
    Kinkaguji and Ginkaguji are nice. prepare to wear short, umbrella, weather is getting hot in central japan now.

5)Himeiji, i think it only look nice in winter. i not manage to visit inside last time.

6)Osaka, dont miss the universal studio. will take u whole day. a lot of presentations too. but just like disney, all speak in japanses language.

what else.. cant remember much for others..
    Last edited by ztsen; 3rd July 2006 at 10:03 PM.

agree....tokyo disneyland go on weekdays, no problem. go early.

ueno, asakusa, harajuku.....basically just walk and walk in tokyo

kyoto, do not drive, take the public transport, lots of temples to take

if you want to climb fuji also can....dont bring too many gears, nothing to shoot up there

Tell me when you coming to Osaka. As long as you pay for my food and drinks, I will be the tourguide.

You know how to contact me

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    Tell me when you coming to Osaka. As long as you pay for my food and drinks, I will be the tourguide.

You know how to contact me
    shiok... i will definitely contact you... hehe... should be there roughly around 10th Jul give or take... my fren is planning the itinery... just came back from Krakow and Budapest....

Quote Originally Posted by ztsen
    1) remember buy the 7 days or more JR pass in sg before go tokyo. travel from tokyo to osaka will be expensive.
    2) there are disneyland and disney sea, each will occupy 1 day. go on weekday. avoid going on weekend. always take the fast pass and come back at the time mentioned. so u can aviod to wait.
    3) tokyo,
    -u can go harajuku, just beside the train station, hv youngsters wear very rock and in cloths on weekend. u can take photo with them too.
    -akihabara, place that sell a lot of electronic stuffs. but no point to buy at duty free shop. more expensive. you can buy at Big Camera. or some very small shop distance from station. sega building.
    -Asakusa, u can buy souvenir then take the special boat to Odaiba, u can c small size of statue of liberty and rainbow bridge.
    -suggest avoid Mt fuji, the moutain is 'botak' in summer.
    -shinjuku also gd place for shopping
    -ginza, sony building, kiddy land.
    -ghibli museum, if u like Hayao Miyazaki animation. weekend always full. ticket must buy advance at Lawson.

4)kyoto,
    place of temples. take 1 day bus pass. then plan those temples u would like to go.
    Kinkaguji and Ginkaguji are nice. prepare to wear short, umbrella, weather is getting hot in central japan now.

5)Himeiji, i think it only look nice in winter. i not manage to visit inside last time.

6)Osaka, dont miss the universal studio. will take u whole day. a lot of presentations too. but just like disney, all speak in japanses language.

what else.. cant remember much for others..

thanks dude for the detailed analysis... what's the fast pass about btw? Pay more for less waiting time? what's the drawback if any? Thanks in advance...

THanks to the rest of the guys for chipping in the little bits and pieces... pls keep them coming...

If you are thinking of getting the Rail Pass to travel to a few locations in Japan, do look out for airfare promotions tied with the rail pass. I had a good deal from JAL the last time. Especially if you need to take the Shinkasen.. the rail pass is a must.

10th is not a good time, try 24th and the 25th.

Sorry just some last min qn before i leave... heard from guys here that there's a Cosplay street on sundays? Any idea where that is? Are there similarly "interesting streets" in other parts of Jpn as well? care to share? Thanks...

Only on weekends. Get out at the harajuku station and walk right. The park is there. But sometimes they don't turn up in full force. You might also like

http://www.designfesta.com/02_en/00_...s_e/index.html

just nearby. If you're into that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake
    Only on weekends. Get out at the harajuku station and walk right. The park is there. But sometimes they don't turn up in full force. You might also like

http://www.designfesta.com/02_en/00_...s_e/index.html

just nearby. If you're into that kind of thing.
    thks man!