Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyle - a dangerous vechicle?

Default Re: Motorcyle - a dangerous vechicle?

I am holding a car license and made my bike licenes here in Singapore, all the way from 2B to 2. I ride a few 100'000km on the bike over the last 8 years and was involved in 1 accident.

Riding a motorcycle involves a higher risk due to the fact that you do not sit in a steel cocoon like in the car. But that does not mean that motorcycles are dangerous, however a few simple rules need to be followed:

> Pilot in Charge! As a rider of a motorcylce you are in charge of every aspect! There is noone else to blame! You have to look out for yourself AND for everybody else around you. There is no such excuse as "i was doing right but the other idiot made the mistake". You did not spot his mistake, your fault!

> Dress for the fall and not for fashion or the heat! You spent a few thousand $$ on your bike, dont hesitate to spend a few hundred $$ on protective equipment.
    * Wear a full-face helmet! open helmets raze your face when you fall, and egg-shell helmets (popular with chopper riders) do not offer any protection.
    * wear gloves, leather, not those cotton gloves they give at the driving centre, they are useless.
    * wear a jacket with elbow, shoulder and back protection. Don't say its too hot in Singapore, there are now cheap airflow jackets that are cool
    * wear long pants not shorts, best proper riding pants
    * for heavens sake dont wear slippers on a bike, get yourself a good pair of boots. your shoes are usually the first thing that comes off in a fall!

> Stay in your lane and ride carefully! Most bike riders seem to forget where their proper space on the road is. Its not those white lines! Its in the centre of two of those lines! Or in other words in the centre of the lane. Not to the left, not to the right. Dont drive inbetween cars unless they are stationary! Use your indicator and headlight to make yourself visible and to show your intentions. Rearview mirrors are usefull and not a fashion accessory on your bike.

> dont drink and ride.

> maintain your bike and keep it ALLWAYS in top condition. Botak tires, broken headlights etc will increase the chances that you get yourself in an accident.

Why are there so many young people getting injured or die in motorcycles accidents? Because they flaut all the rules above!! On top of that nobody teaches them how to ride. The training courses in the local driving centres are a good laugh but they do not prepare you for the reality of riding a bike on the road!! They do not even teach you the basic physics of handling a bike. Unlike a car, a bike handles contrary to human instinct!! Which means that in a critical situation most riders will react WRONG and will get themselves into trouble.

So motorcyles are not dangerous, riding stupid and uneduacated however is!
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    if that is the case then walking under hdb flats also very dangerous

many thing fall down from above.
    maids/tv sets/flower pots/

in fact crossing the road also very dangerous
    taking the lift
    sitting at the roadside coffeeshop

better to stay at home
    Haha this I AGREE!!!

One of our bros here took his new camera out for a snap at some HDB block. Someone threw a packet of curry which landed on him and his camera. (C****y: No Pun Intended)

So we should all sell our camera, to prevent it from getting "hurt".

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo
    Yup, agree that motorcycles are not dangerous, unless you ride like those stupid brainless feallas. Then also, it becomes real dangerous with the number of lousy drivers here on the road ... take a look around ... tons of them.
    then technically, any other driver other then u & me are bad drivers... haha...

i think everybody is flawed... sometimes i find that the way i think is definitely different from wat others think... thats makes me dangerous to him/her... and from their actions, i also think that they are a threat to me on the road...

classic example...

[Joker] on [DCA]'s blindspot...
    [DCA] on [Joker]'s Front Right...
    [Joker] dunno that he is in [DCA]'s blindspot... (technically every car's blindspot is different, so u may not know who in who's blindspot)
    [DCA] do a blindspot check and notice that [Joker] remain in blindspot...

so ... 1...

[DCA] hit left signal, increase speed want to overtake...
    [Joker] thought its a threat, so try to ride faster to prevent him from overtaking...
    ... bang.. who wrong?

From [DCA]'s POV, he can say he is not giving way to ppl...
    From [Joker]'s POV, he can say he never check blind spot...

but...

it could be...

[Joker] can't see that signal light, (blocked by mirror?) and he was just thinking that other cars are moving faster, and he might be road hogging...

there is also other effects that can link to this...

so each of us can be liable for accidents even for the most careful drivers... i dunno wat u think, u dunno wat i think... thats the problem... and of course, those inherent mindset by ppl... those are condemned lah... ppl who think they own the roads... never keep to centre of lanes... haha...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Hmm... can I say,

For Driver/Rider; Control your vehicle, not vehicle control you.
    For PROphotographer; Control your camera for the photo you want, not AUTO mode

Well, I ride and drive. Can only say when driving I am extra careful towards motorcyclist.

Same for most drivers who are also motorcyclist...I believe they will be more careful too being a road user of both.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    i also waiting for my chance to ride like the wind again
    now driving a car, I miss riding
    ask superman to give u 1... but den again.. u not Lois... paiseh...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    ask superman to give u 1... but den again.. u not Lois... paiseh...
    oi! you veri notti

i think everybody is flawed... sometimes i find that the way i think is definitely different from wat others think... thats makes me dangerous to him/her... and from their actions, i also think that they are a threat to me on the road...

classic example...

[Joker] dunno that he is in [DCA]'s blindspot... (technically every car's blindspot is different, so u may not know who in who's blindspot)

so ... 1...

[Joker] thought its a threat, so try to ride faster to prevent him from overtaking...
    ... bang.. who wrong?

but...

it could be...

[Joker] can't see that signal light, (blocked by mirror?) and he was just thinking that other cars are moving faster, and he might be road hogging...

so each of us can be liable for accidents even for the most careful drivers... i dunno wat u think, u dunno wat i think... thats the problem... and of course, those inherent mindset by ppl... those are condemned lah... ppl who think they own the roads... never keep to centre of lanes... haha...
    no lah not that serious, tons of good drivers too.

Just that i've seen many who like to drive real close to the back of other moving cars/bikes ... simply stupid!

Also those behind me who horn, when the traffic light turns green. I acclerate and see them still like 5 cars distance behind me ... no I don't speed ... it's the fool who kiasu and horned, accelerating slower than a turtle. Maybe he horned to warn me about his stupidity

I've personally witnessed a couple of bikers flying off their machine ... all because some fools suddenly cut out to the other lane without looking ...

The difference, car vs bike?

Car: The car's metal body protects your skin,
    Bike: Your skin protects the bike's metal body.

I have been riding and driving for over 20 years.

I must admit that there are some riders who are idiots and ride like morons but on the other hand there are also alot of idiot drivers that drive like morons. Not just the car drivers but also the truck drivers.

The motorcycle is not a dangerous vehicle it is either the idiot riding it or the other idiot behind the wheel. And trust me there are alot of them out there whether you want to admit it or not. Another thing is to know your limits as far as your riding experience and skill, do not try to emulate Freddie Spencer when you only have the skill of a beginner. Learn to crawl before you start trying to walk and then run. Same thing goes for drivers, you are not Michael Schumacher nor are you Sebastien Loeb, so don't try to be them, cos you aren't.

The key thing when driving and/or riding is always to be aware of other road users. Alot of times drivers either don't care or don't pay attention. And riders don't hang it someone's blind spot. I have seen it happen so often and it has happened to me on numerous times as a driver and a rider.

You cannot lay blame on all riders and every rider out there, granted sometimes they are at fault but drivers should also share some of the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo
    no lah not that serious, tons of good drivers too.

Just that i've seen many who like to drive real close to the back of other moving cars/bikes ... simply stupid!

Also those behind me who horn, when the traffic light turns green. I acclerate and see them still like 5 cars distance behind me ... no I don't speed ... it's the fool who kiasu and horned, accelerating slower than a turtle. Maybe he horned to warn me about his stupidity

I've personally witnessed a couple of bikers flying off their machine ... all because some fools suddenly cut out to the other lane without looking ...
    eh i also use the horns wor... but normally i flash 1st, then horn... just... just now... i flash a joker going less than 10km/hr on a single lane road white line in middle road, so i flash it, then it go slower, and i horn... then it go even slower (imagine depressing brakes driving auto... tat slow...), so i horn a few times... then my mom say... its typical of ppl... the more u horn, the slower they go... and i dun think he understand that its dangerous for me to overtake him if he is moving. i was like wat if i overtake, another car come from opp direction, he move faster, i die lor... he should just stop, then i not so beh song...

If you don't have the passion for bike, you'll never love biking even though you might have the bike license rode for xx year yada yada.. just like how my other friends cannot understand why I like to take photos so much...

If you think sg roads are bad, you should try indonesia, vietnam or china. Everyone cuts into everybody's lanes left/right/center. Horn's sounding everywhere but nobody loses their patience! The horn there means "I see you" but the horn in sg means "OEI! Get out of my way" Traffic conditions there are 10times worse and more complex than sg but it seems that nobody loses their temper while driving.

What about here?
    "Oh there's someone wanting to come into my lane.."
    Even though there's ample space for him to come in safely
    *kiasu syndrome kicks in and acclerates*
    first class transport, first class roads, budget class temper.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

eh i also use the horns wor... but normally i flash 1st, then horn... just... just now... i flash a joker going less than 10km/hr on a single lane road white line in middle road, so i flash it, then it go slower, and i horn... then i not so beh song...
    you always horny and always flashing if not you sure beh song..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Many moons ago, I

1. skidded 5 times
    2. ramed into 2 pedestrains( 1 had his jeans torn at the backside , the other head trauma, hospitalised for a few days )
    3. head collision with another bike (the guy broken ribs, go hospital )
    4. near accident, my head was 1 inch away from the tipper truck's back

dangerous? nah lah.....onli made a hole on my leg until can see the bone.

All not my fault ...kekeke
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

classic example...

so ... 1...

... bang.. who wrong?

but...

it could be...

wat if u slow down to overtake, any jokers see as a threat and slow down with u also?
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Motorcycle are not more dangerous.

Its the people behind it; the demographics of the riders.

If they can afford it, they will be just as dangerous behind the wheels of the Porsche or Camry.

Similarly, those who are riding those giant bikes like Harley, will be just as safe when riding the smaller cc bike or behind the wheels of a humble suzuki!!

Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r
    wat if u slow down to overtake, any jokers see as a threat and slow down with u also?
    if i slow down hor...i sure hear hornible sound 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere
    Motorcycle are not more dangerous.

Its the people behind it; the demographics of the riders.

If they can afford it, they will be just as dangerous behind the wheels of the Porsche or Camry.
    Camry? i dun think Camry is same line as Porsche, unless u not talking about Toyota Camry...

biking not only need experience but I feel the most important is maturity. a Lot of young riders super yaya, tt's why get into accident. Viewing from the TP records most are 25yr and below. They should raise the age limit for license again..
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    biking not only need experience but I feel the most important is maturity. a Lot of young riders super yaya, tt's why get into accident. Viewing from the TP records most are 25yr and below. They should raise the age limit for license again..
    its still 16 or now 18?

but i think that the older u are, the less likely u would wanna learn biking...

anyway, not that i am stereotyping... i find that most 'bikers' of age of below 25 are yaya bengs... then ride like there is really no tomorrow... but if they really no tomorrow, dun take my tomorrow away lah...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast