Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tekong Cough

Default Re: Tekong Cough

oh man...that's not good news, but thanks all the same for the replies guys! and the school 2 2 ic said, "oh, no la, the water here is very clean. PUB what, so the quality sure very good, same as mainland singapore." bollocks... back to the loving embrace of the army in 9 hrs

i think it is the tap water in tekong. for unknown reason, i never had that cough (pheww), but i do drink only tap water at home, and i drink quite a lot.

but i did have a fren who asked me how to cure it. i told him to try skipping tekong water totally. (he was att b for 1+ month there, he injured leg while doing stretching ) what he did was bring a lot of coins and drink can drinks lol. expensive, but he said he didnt cough any more.

but this is not possible if u have no status. anyway its not too good to drink only can drinks. no choice, gotta bear with it. part and parcel of NS. anyway, all the best to u!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

thanks zak haha..oddly enough my cough disappears during training and only reappears when i'm doing nothing like when we have to fall in and wait around...admin time or when i want to sleep

Deregistered

URTI, familiar term, anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URTI

explains my stuffy and sometimes runny nose too

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey
    thanks zak haha..oddly enough my cough disappears during training and only reappears when i'm doing nothing like when we have to fall in and wait around...admin time or when i want to sleep
    no problem! enjoy BMT! (no really im not being sarcastic) BMT is the best time of ur 2 yrs!
    u would say its sux now, no freedom, go toilet have to ask, smallest living thing in tekong blah blah blah... but when i look back, it was a damn good experience. albeit an experience ill never want to experience again lol
    Photo Album - Photo Album

when i was in tekong, they were in the process of building the long houses that was once camp 1 ( i think) the camp with the see beh zui ghost stories....

so anyway, then, tekong had no pipes, and the recruits were forced to drink from pails filled with water from irrigation trucks. But then again, our rations were also in small tins and my instructors were from israel.

ROD loh!!!!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey
    explains my stuffy and sometimes runny nose too
    Each time you report sick, I believe there's some documentation that the medics use that has the term, URTI being used. That's how I understood it better. In fact, later on when I had to RS for sore throat, I'd say URTI to the medic as I got assigned the "waiting game".

And oh yes. URTI is ok, wait till you get LRTI. Can even lose the voicebox.... scary!

I doubt it has anything to do with the water in Tekong. Even at Hendon Road Camp(1st Commando Battalion) the same thing happened.

It is all the shouting and training that is the probable cause of the so-called "tekong cough".

Ever been to a school camp and with all the running around and shouting, after coming back from the camp you have a cough????

Never ever heard of water causing a cough, dirty water, probably get a case of the runs(lao sai). And the MO on Tekong can confirm it is the water??? Just because is a doctor doesn't necessarily mean he is right.

And I think someone mentioned it here, it is your body getting conditioned. And if you smoke, it is your lungs getting rid of all the crap that you have subjected yourself to while smoking.

i coughed out blood and got 3 days ATT C.

LoL
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

back from the island of unending coughs... finally went to see a doctor after my book out today....one week tried to tahan...was good to go for the most part of it but almost threw up after my route march...got a fever after that....yes so for future enlistees, don't do your route march if you're sick..even if you think you're good to go...

sian man..on medication now, but no mc...wonder how i'm going to do my IPPT on monday

shouting is the main factor.

others including drinking cold drinks (the syrup from cookhouse, the ice water during PT etc.) and eating too much fried food.

avoid the above and you should be better off.

I dun think its the water....maybe just not used to the change in environment, the training and of cos the shouting......

hmm...okay..got to forgo the those now then..no more fried chicken from the mess hall..got to stop operation clandestine cup noodle supper too...wonder if the dust and dirt in the bunks contribute too...everytime we do area cleaning we get bucket loads of them..even though we cleaned the area the day before..

here's another question i'm curious about...would bathing almost immediately after PT cause you to fall sick?

I believe is the differences in air in Tekong and Singapore mainland.

The air in Tekong is cleaner while the air in mainland is not as clean as Tekong.

You either experience no cough or little cough in Tekong compare to singapore mainland. I have a friend who cough quite badly in mainland but when he went back to Tekong, no more cough.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion
    You either experience no cough or little cough in Tekong compare to singapore mainland.
    Everyone gets the tekong cough...it's a ritual of going thru tekong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12