Thread: Guitar restoration?

Default Guitar restoration?

Hi,

Anyone know where I can buy original guitar parts for my Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar? A lot fo the metal parts have started tarnishing and some parts have eben looked like its starting to rust! I need parts such as the gold plated humbucker covers, and the square metal piece (also gold plated) where you jack in.

Opened the case and found a very thin layer of mildew or fungus just now! *faints*

Managed to polish off with a cloth and guitar polish.. but how do I prevent it from recurring? Unfortunately, I don't play my guitar all that much these days.. but its such a fine guitar, it'd be a shame to just let it deteriorate like this!

Else can someone recommend a good and reliaable shop that can do this service?

Thanks!

Default Re: Guitar restoration?

There is a guitar hospital at the basement of Parklane Shopping Mall at Selegie road, next to the comics shop.

Yup... The Sinamex Guitar Hospital is a good place to check out first...

Davis Guitars at the basement of Peninsula Shopping Centre also should sell such parts. U might like to check out...

If these two shops don't have, there's quite a few other guitar shops at the basement of Excelsior Hotel n Peninsula Sopiing Centre... it's a guitar freak's haven there...

And of course, there's Swee Lee who's an authorised dealer for Gibsons...

Hope this helps
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

My bro brought his Ibanez S-custom and RG to Davis for such restoration work. They ended up not doing much 'cos a lot of the parts they either didn't have or for some reason didn't replace. =^/ He also sent in his Marshall amp for servicing recently and it took 3 weeks just for them to check what was wrong with it.

In short, don't do repair work at Davis.. hurhur

OK, will check out Swee Lee first since they're the authorised distro.. thanks guys..

BTW, how do you keep gold plated metal parts from tarnishing in our climate? I keep the guitar (in the case) in my bedroom (A/C on at night), but still got problem with tarnishing and even the recent fungus... how ah?

Hi all

Do not mind if I hijack the thread and OT a bit, I am in the market for a les paul or stratocaster, for my son actually, looks like he has grown out of the Yamaha junior model I bought him a year ago.

Need to get acquainted with the price range or where is a good place to look, also how is the used market in Singapore. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

You could always leave it as it is and say that it was owned by Snowy White
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    BTW, how do you keep gold plated metal parts from tarnishing in our climate? I keep the guitar (in the case) in my bedroom (A/C on at night), but still got problem with tarnishing and even the recent fungus... how ah?
    I think if you clean/polish the metal bits with certain kinds of metal polish, they will leave some sorta coating that will supposedly protect the metal (at least Autosol does). If you have problems with the strings rusting, try FastFret. Preserves strings and makes them more slick to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip123
    Do not mind if I hijack the thread and OT a bit, I am in the market for a les paul or stratocaster, for my son actually, looks like he has grown out of the Yamaha junior model I bought him a year ago.
    Need to get acquainted with the price range or where is a good place to look, also how is the used market in Singapore. Your help is deeply appreciated.
    If you're looking for original Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Stratocasters, i think they are kinda expensive. Epiphone (which is actually Gibson) Les Pauls and Fender copies are much cheaper i think.

Swee Lee has quite a range but they tend to overprice their stuff (because you can't get them elsewhere)

If you're looking for 2nd hand stuff, you can try S.O.F.T.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip123
    Hi all

Thanks.
    Gibson Les Pauls tend to *appreciate* over time.. I think the same holds true for Fenders also. I bought mine for USD2.4k in 96 or 97.. not sure how much it'd be worth today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    You could always leave it as it is and say that it was owned by Snowy White
    Hehehe, no problem now.. after applying the Gibson polish on it, I've managed to wipe off the fungus/mildew off. Just thinking of how to keep it from recurring... but a LARGE dry cabinet?

Thanks Denosha and Gymrat76 for your advice.

Went down to Peninsula and have a look see, this Davis shop has some made in Japan Strats for S$700 and S$800, quite acceptable pricing I think, the $800 ones come with pickup from US hence recommended.

Was telling my son to sell his Yamaha and I will fund for the Strats. But he said he was drooling over a used telecaster at $1100

I told him that telecaster is a unique sounding guitar but may not be as versatile as Strats, worried that before long he will be looking again . What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Hi,

Anyone know where I can buy original guitar parts for my Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar? A lot fo the metal parts have started tarnishing and some parts have eben looked like its starting to rust! I need parts such as the gold plated humbucker covers, and the square metal piece (also gold plated) where you jack in.
    if you try to replace the hardware because they tarnish from previously gold finish, then my advice is DON'T!

Soon, the new gold finish will again tarnish. If you want to replace, might as well replace it with chrome. It last much longer.