Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need Advise on DIY PC

Default Re: Need Advise on DIY PC

Anyway, back to topic...

How is This as a scratch disk?
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Look like no price cut last weekend (according to Fuwell price list).

But,

I am glad you all have asked me to wait.

I am going to get the new cpu!!!

The E6300/6400 look good also and within my budget. Dunno how much the MB going to cost! Sad thing is I can't get my PC these 2 weeks then.

Anyway, my boss suddenly line up few business trips for me. I have to go HK then Jia Xing in China another week. I have lot of preparation to do B4 I go, so no time for PC now until end of August.

So probably get it in September then. Hopefully supply is there by then. Thanks everyone for your advises and tips. Feel free to update here the pricing movement of the new Intel cpu and MB.

Thanks again!!!

Pricecut on 27th. Even if you want to buy a computer now, it's tough luck. AMD's distro just took back a lot of stock from most of the shops. Looks like they're gonna do a price-cut too. Intel... Erm... Almost no stock at all..
    Went to 4 trusted shops yesterday and all out-of-stock for most of the Intel processors except like.. Celeron.. No one dares to stock-up at the moment..
    Last edited by Firefox; 22nd July 2006 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang
    Anyway, back to topic...

How is This as a scratch disk?
    i-RAM? It works for a scratch disk... But then, there's no point. If you need that kind of performance, you'd likely be dealing with very large files and 4GB isn't enough for your scratch. If you're not dealing with such large files or large number of files, why do you want to pay for an i-RAM just for your scratch disk?

Better-off spending on a PCI-E 2 port SATA RAID controller and raiding a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.10's. Still have leftover $$$ for a nice & fast 50mm prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Pricecut on 27th. Even if you want to buy a computer now, it's tough luck. AMD's distro just took back a lot of stock from most of the shops. Looks like they're gonna do a price-cut too. Intel... Erm... Almost no stock at all..
    Went to 4 trusted shops yesterday and all out-of-stock for most of the Intel processors except like.. Celeron.. No one dares to stock-up at the moment..
    Thanks for the Info. Look like good to wait till Sep.

Keep the info. coming. Greatly appreciated!

Wink Re: Need Advise on DIY PC

i-RAM? It works for a scratch disk... But then, there's no point. If you need that kind of performance, you'd likely be dealing with very large files and 4GB isn't enough for your scratch. If you're not dealing with such large files or large number of files, why do you want to pay for an i-RAM just for your scratch disk?

Better-off spending on a PCI-E 2 port SATA RAID controller and raiding a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.10's. Still have leftover $$$ for a nice & fast 50mm prime.
    Nods, I think I will get that for my game instead.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Thanks for the Info. Look like good to wait till Sep.

Keep the info. coming. Greatly appreciated!
    BTW, the E6300/ 6400 are not Conroes. They're Allendales. They come with 2MB L2 cache rather than the 4MB that the Conroes have. However, the performance difference between a Conroe and Allendale with the same clockspeed is minimal. Note: You won't find them at the same clockspeed.
    It's just that the testing in reviews were done with Engineering Samples with unlocked multipliers.

BTW, the E6300/ 6400 are not Conroes. They're Allendales. They come with 2MB L2 cache rather than the 4MB that the Conroes have. However, the performance difference between a Conroe and Allendale with the same clockspeed is minimal. Note: You won't find them at the same clockspeed.
    It's just that the testing in reviews were done with Engineering Samples with unlocked multipliers.
    Thanks, aware of that. Since I am not getting a Performance PC so is OK with me.

But, read some review that show test results of E6300 better than 930 so thot might as well go foe it since it is within my budget and it take electricity and generate less heat. Do they clock the E6300 at higher clock speed to show a better performance than 930?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234