Thread: Any multipurpose lens?

Default Any multipurpose lens?

Is there a lens that can be used for event photography which is considered a multipurpose lens where I can go wide enough to cover a group photo as well as close enough to get some decent telephoto shots?

What do you guys think of something like this EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ? Does 'L' make a big difference with the shots?

Default Re: Any multipurpose lens?

Unless you're using a Full Frame camera, or else the 28mm end might not be wide enough for a group shot.

If u're using a cropped sensor DSLR, the 18-200 range will be gd.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

For the wide end, consider something in the 14-18 range. If you happen to be on a full-frame DSLR, then maybe something in the 24-28 range. Tele end, guess it's up to you how far you want to go and your budget. Lenses with big focal length range usually compromise at some level (aperture range/distortion), or are very expensive. As to whether the 'L' makes a difference, it depends on how often you find yourself in situations that push the physics of photography to the limits. Hmm.. actually, you will kind of "know" when you need the extra the 'L' lens can give you.
    Last edited by fireframe; 3rd July 2006 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midicity
    Unless you're using a Full Frame camera, or else the 28mm end might not be wide enough for a group shot.
    hmm...I guess my Canon 350D is not a full frame camera coz I didnt really know the difference and when I looked it up there was no mention.

Quote Originally Posted by funkydonkey
    hmm...I guess my Canon 350D is not a full frame camera coz I didnt really know the difference and when I looked it up there was no mention.
    You can change to full frame, 5D. and use canon 28-135.
    one lens will fit all.
    save time on changing lenses.

no need to change to full frame lah ... just stand very far away from the subjects when taking group pictures...hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by funkydonkey
    I have the same camera. 350D is a 1.6x crop, like the 30D.

I suggest getting either the sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS USM, depending on your budget. Some might suggest the Canon 17-85 IS.

F2.8 is useful for DOF portraits and indoor shots. IS is real handy for situations when u can't setup a tripod.

I think for general use, 17 or 18 mm is wide enough for group shots. For the tele end, will depend on your needs

Talking Re: Any multipurpose lens?

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice
    no need to change to full frame lah ... just stand very far away from the subjects when taking group pictures...hehehe
    Hello Mr Ian Paice....how do u shoot the full band(deep purple) sitting behind ur drum kit without a wide lens ah?? hehee.think about it!