Thread: Contrast Masking

Default Contrast Masking

Man, that dpreview forum is REALLY useful.

Just got pointed to this VERY useful technique for those situations where the face is too dark. Fantastic - try it!

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/Ba...stMasking.html

No other PS work on this picture except contrast masking:

hmm...i think the effects would be better if you used duplicate layer and set the mode to "Screen". Then reduce the opactity using the slider to adjust to your tastes. It's the equivalent of adding 1 f stop to your picts....just my 2 c
    Believe it. And it will be so.

OK I get what you mean. Tried it out, too!

I find that it blows out the highlights. Contrast masking dims the brighter areas and brightens the darker areas.

In any case, both techniques are useful additions to my knowledge base. Thanks!

I haven't seen that link since I'm still Internet connection-less. But there are plenty of ways of achieving what you want to, and furthermore, not meaning to be off-putting or deprecating, but your corrected solution is somewhat lacking and could have been better executed.

the background building does look strangely familiar!!!
    its my church!! hahaha and he took it at marine parade eh

Originally posted by Jed
    I haven't seen that link since I'm still Internet connection-less. But there are plenty of ways of achieving what you want to, and furthermore, not meaning to be off-putting or deprecating, but your corrected solution is somewhat lacking and could have been better executed.
    Well, you have to understand I was trying it out on one of the rejects. The subjects were out of focus and it was a high ISO shot on a consumer digicam. And yes, the contrast was a bit flat after the converting.

I normally correct using other methods such as curves and selective masking. Just that I found this particular technique quick and easy.

Thanks for the comments.