Thread: Good walkaround lens for Canon 350d

Smile Good walkaround lens for Canon 350d

Hi noob here this is my first post.

im looking around for a good walkaround lens for the canon 350d. the kit lenses that came with it are 18-55 and 70-300, but i dont fancy carrying two lenses and having to change them when travelling.

ive been looking at the sigma 18-200 and 28-300. the 28-300 has macro AND is cheaper. but is 28mm wide enough? i would still like to use it indoors in restaurants etc and i would like to be able caputure wide shots as well.

thanks a lot

Default Re: Good walkaround lens for Canon 350d

well....you've said it...18-200 since you want wide.

but it'll help make ur decision easier if you go down to the shops and try both out side by side.
    cuz my ''wide'' and ur ''wide'' might be different to a certain degree.

thanks for the reply. i just went out i bought the sigma 18-200, am very happy

Quote Originally Posted by dandruff
    thanks for the reply. i just went out i bought the sigma 18-200, am very happy
    good choice.
    u need to factor in the 1.6x crop factor..
    18mm act becomes 29mm...
    not to mention 28mm becoming 45mm, even less wide than normal Pn S

hmmm... personally, i got a power zoom 28-200 for my D70s also.

i believe that power zoom suffers in quality. but good for walk about and travel lah...

but if i carry my big bag, i bring everything... haa haa... dont mind changing
    D70s-er Since 2005

If you don't mind shorter reach, I can recommend the Tamron SP 24-135. Very good sharpness, colors and contrast at a very affordable price of $500+.

If I were to bring 1 lens, I will bring my Sigma 18-50 F2.8. Fast lenses are important for indoor and low light work. Think I can afford to sacrifice some reach. 18mm is decently wide for me. But this lens is $820 for a brand new piece

If you are using the 18-200, maybe you might want to consider getting the cheap 50mm f1.8 prime for some indoor/lowlight work

Of course, if you have the dough, the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS would be a very good lens
    Last edited by midicity; 2nd July 2006 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midicity
    Of course, if you have the dough, the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS would be a very good lens
    argh!! shhh!! dont put these ideas into my head im already $560 poorer and whats more im a super noob!

Quote Originally Posted by dandruff
    im looking around for a good walkaround lens for the canon 350d. the kit lenses that came with it are 18-55 and 70-300
    Just noticed this.. your 350D came with these 2 kit lenses? At the standard pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by fireframe
    Just noticed this.. your 350D came with these 2 kit lenses? At the standard pricing?
    nope not really standard price, it was a packaged deal. got a good price for the whole lot, but in retrospect im not sure whether it was a smart buy. i dont know what to do with the 18-55mm kit lens anymore, may have been better off just getting the body.
    Last edited by dandruff; 3rd July 2006 at 06:09 PM.

i tried using my fren's 20D with the 18-55mm..... dont like it....

be careful of power zoom. quality really not so good...

i thinking of getting a 28-70mm f2.8.... haa haa...
    Last edited by zcwnfx; 4th July 2006 at 11:25 PM.
    D70s-er Since 2005

When i first got the kit lens n 350d i thought its the lens thats the weak link. Now after changing so many lens i know the weakest link is not the lens. When something goes wrong always look at your technique first. Experiment with high iso, high shutter speed, support, flash etc. No equipment is perfect. There is always some compromise.
    http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com