Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting caught for photography, by Police

Default Re: Getting caught for photography, by Police

It happened to me in ipoh also by plainclothes policeman who though i was shooting the house.
    When I showed him that I was just shooting the sunset, he just laughed and drove away in his motorbike.

So far no pranoid policemen here except some paranoid church ppl who thinks I'm trying to sell my pictures for BYG BUCKS

Big camera = potential terrorist?

Big camera = going to sell photos for money?

Then you say: "Eh, you've got a big walkie-talkie, you must be a great security guard"
    Last edited by redstone; 3rd July 2006 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PnS
    Incident 1
    I went to Potong Pasir during election period to shoot excited faces and crowd. When leaving, i saw this TP bike parked along the road that i thought looked quite athoritative and decided to shoot it. Two blue uniformed policemen nearby asked me why i am shooting it, whether I am from the press etc, and as usual took my particulars from my IC. Some time after election, i received a fine for illegal parking opposite potong pasir, no summon slip was placed on my windscreen during that night.
    ??? Police taking revenge?

Could there be any lawyer here who can shed some light on what are the rights of a photographer in SG? Or better still, with specific reference to laws contained in the law books?

Hope i'm not asking too much. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Imagine:

"I want Esplanade to be a world famous landmark. I want it to be showcased in movies, tourism promotion ads, magazines"

"I don't want people to take photos of my building"

Ironic eh?
    Then tell them to mask it out from Google Earth too yah?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th July 2006 at 03:20 PM.

So anyone wanna write in a long letter to the Straits Times??
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    So anyone wanna write in a long letter to the Straits Times??
    Dun need lah.. organize a CS outing to those places lah.. Let the security people get a shock to see so many people shooting their buildings.

you should try wisma atria. i was trying to snap the aquarium, stupid hero there came up behind and shouted "no photograph allowed" when i turn around to see who was it he continued to walk on his way and I shouted back "IS THAT SO?" and continued to shoot. He didn't even turn around or faced me when talking to me. Spoilt my mood to shoot totally.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    you should try wisma atria. i was trying to snap the aquarium, stupid hero there came up behind and shouted "no photograph allowed" when i turn around to see who was it he continued to walk on his way and I shouted back "IS THAT SO?" and continued to shoot. He didn't even turn around or faced me when talking to me. Spoilt my mood to shoot totally.
    becos the poor "fisherman" scare u terrorise his "precious fishes" with your BIG Camera....

Quote Originally Posted by neves_atk
    Criminal Setting - Trying to get some shots of Esplanade after the firework display.

Police: Hi Sir, i am sorry but u cant take pictures of the Esplanade unless you have written permission from the Esplanade's management.

Me: Hmm?? I thought the ruling only applies to the interior of the building?

Police: Erm..i am not sure about that but i am afraid no photography is allowed.

Me: But they are taking photos. *Pointing to the tourists behind him*

Police: They are using the normal cameras without tripod.

Me: ?? Okie. No prob. *Super black face*

*Packing up*

Police: Sir, maybe you can try shooting there.*Pointing to the Esplanade bridge*

Me: U mean i can take photos of the building from the bridge?

Police: No. I mean you can try taking photos of the sea.

Me: ?????????????????????????

Conclusions:

1. He probably think i am able to catch the building's reflection off the water surface.

2. Infrigement of building IP can only occur when you are using a DSLR. PnS is okie.

3. The probability of a person being a terrorist is higher when that person is a local.

4. Terrorist will only use high resolution images, and of couse without the handshakes and direct flash. An improvement from the "Blair Witch Project" styled Yishun MRT video footage.

5. Singapore policemen, in general, are very helpful.
    Hi,
    I think you are mistaken. That was probably the CISCO/AETOS Officer deployed at Esplande who approached you. The Police will not do such a thing.

I was approached by the Esplanade in-house security just a month ago, he was telling me about getting permission etc etc.... i was ready to challenge him to call the Police, but after he mumbled the stuff he wanted to say (probably some script), he walked away. And i continued shooting. If the security is unable to answer questions that we posed, then he is obviously not good enough or do not know his rights and powers well enough, we should not give in that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by bend geez
    My dear frens.. read tru some of ur post here. Jus wanna lets u guys noe that the cops out there have no rights to confiscate our cam, flim etc. They can only keep a record of our particulars. Neither do some security guards have the power to ask us to delete away the fotos, we can refuse if the security insist. call the Police if they wants. jus for ur Fyi.
    another FYI:
    yes,the normal man in blue dont have the right to confiscate anything but to take our particulars.but should u encounter the "special sighting task force" or SSTF(cant remember the exact name of the task force)dont b surprised they do take ur flim n replaced it with a brand new.photo taken not related to the incident will,of cos,b returned to u.

The fact about terrorism threats are real and pressing on the armed forces. It is comforting to know that security guards are alert at least.

But to think deeper, the bad fellas have much more sophisticated equipment than a normal zoom lens we carry. Spy shots can be taken in many ways (via satellite, spy cams, super long rang lens, etc) and even by the building own security guards just as a starter.

We are happy this is a safer place to be in. But of course people do make mistakes and thats where the jokes begin.

Cheers to a safer place at least.

Har.. Esplanade cannot take photos meh? I too a few photos inside the building and outside with the police and security around also no problem leh? Somemore I carry my full gear around (tripod + long lens + bag ) Maybe I look more like a photographer than a terorist.

Maybe one day I try to look like a terorist to see if this is true.

hmm...i shot outside esplanade in the early hours of morning. security came out but only to tell us dangerous to go into the water. never say photography not allowed

i so far haven encounter such things lah, but its so sian to hear some many of these stories... like the whole world is against photographers with their dslr/slr....

i support the idea, lets go for a mass outing! shock them to death!
    D70s-er Since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx
    later all tio caught for illegal gathering

Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx
    i so far haven encounter such things lah, but its so sian to hear some many of these stories... like the whole world is against photographers with their dslr/slr....

but more than 6 people, they will said it is illegal assembly..

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes
    but more than 6 people, they will said it is illegal assembly..
    organize in groups of 6 lor

vince123123
    Guests

Go in separate groups of 4 lor.

better get stormjackets or waterproof casing to protect your cam and lenses first.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast