Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting caught for photography, by Police

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Getting caught for photography, by Police

I recall that even for "protected places" it is only illegal to take photographs when you are on that premises, and it is not prohibited to take photographs OF that place.

Then again, I could be wrong on this one but its hard to prove a negative. If someone has an authoritative source on this, I'd be interested to explore this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ping
    I noticed the caveat at the end, "However, buildings which are gazetted as Prohibited or Protected have restrictions on photography."

redstone, will it be possible for you to ask if a list of buildings gazetted as prohibited/protected is available? Or how may we identify such a building?

On a sidenote, it is NOT illegal to sell NDP tickets. Even if a police see you physically selling to someone. There's a lot that quite a lot of us don't know, but pretend to know.

It's good to know our legal rights. Hate to be stopped and questioned by over paranoid guards while doing cityscape or architectural shots.

Security yes.... but photography = terrorist is just...

The probelm with Singapore, is we all complained, discussed, get irritated but we did not do anything to protect our rights.

Just look at what happen in Melbourne, when photographers unite to protect their rights to shoot.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    The probelm with Singapore, is we all complained, discussed, get irritated but we did not do anything to protect our rights.

Just look at what happen in Melbourne, when photographers unite to protect their rights to shoot.
    Sadly I don't think we can do that here.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Sadly I don't think we can do that here.
    Why not?

This defeatist mentality is the root of the problem. If mass protest is not feasible, there are other ways.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Smile Re: Getting caught for photography, by Police

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Why not?

This defeatist mentality is the root of the problem. If mass protest is not feasible, there are other ways.
    well guys, ive read the good and the bad here about the cops.
    just want to try to explain.

i am a Police reservist with Ang mo kio police division.

before that i was with the traffic police full time NS.

one thing we have to get it right is that they are not the problem. Neither are the superiors.
    Its the human in us, the HUMAN SINGAPOREAN that is.

we complain, they have to act, just like censorship. 2 people complain the rest of the millions do nothing, the govt acts. GOOD?

the problem, "the defeatist mentality" as our friend pointed out is one of it.
    "NOT MY PROBLEM", "WHY CREATE TROUBLE ?", "TAKE IT EASY LAH!"..sound familiar?

we dont care. we are too afraid, we are KIASEE... perpetually concentrating what if, that we forget to live NOW.look at the insurance scene for answers. do this buy that if not you suffer...and all that jazz

it can go on, good news is these guys are the bottom of the rung, and seriously the sh** they go through both on the streets and back in their offices aint funny. i used to feel really pissed off at them and now i empathize with them. NOw with the police forces new people policy its more "customer" oriented, really im not kidding. I still hate their internal laws, their unwillingness to speak up for others but hey below their uniform they are the same as the rest of us, from the good and the bad. ALWAYS remember one thing though, THEY can MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT!....so help them and they will help you, if you can justify what you are doing the better. remember they are us, someone once said, "if you want to know the people, look at their police". for we are them and they are us.

my two cents
    Last edited by jobo; 3rd August 2006 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobo
    well guys, ive read the good and the bad here about the cops.
    just want to try to explain.

i am a Police reservist with Ang mo kio police division.

before that i was with the traffic police full time NS.

one thing we have to get it right is that they are not the problem. Neither are the superiors.
    Its the human in us, the HUMAN SINGAPOREAN that is.

we complain, they have to act, just like censorship. 2 people complain the rest of the millions do nothing, the govt acts. GOOD?

the problem, "the defeatist mentality" as our friend pointed out is one of it.
    "NOT MY PROBLEM", "WHY CREATE TROUBLE ?", "TAKE IT EASY LAH!"..sound familiar?

we dont care. we are too afraid, we are KIASEE... perpetually concentrating what if, that we forget to live NOW.look at the insurance scene for answers. do this buy that if not you suffer...and all that jazz

it can go on, good news is these guys are the bottom of the rung, and seriously the sh** they go through both on the streets and back in their offices aint funny. i used to feel really pissed off at them and now i empathize with them. NOw with the police forces new people policy its more "customer" oriented, really im not kidding. I still hate their internal laws, their unwillingness to speak up for others but hey below their uniform they are the same as the rest of us, from the good and the bad. ALWAYS remember one thing though, THEY can MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT!....so help them and they will help you, if you can justify what you are doing the better. remember they are us, someone once said, "if you want to know the people, look at their police". for we are them and they are us.

my two cents
    I can't understand what you're trying to say.

I do know that our Police here are mostly alright. At least there are not cases of bribery or brutality.

As for certain restrictions... the Leadership leads the way.
    Home Affairs Minister is...
    Only ruling party in Singapore is...

Anyway, this is kopitiam talk.

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    I can't understand what you're trying to say.

I do know that our Police here are mostly alright. At least there are not cases of bribery or brutality.

As for certain restrictions... the Leadership leads the way.
    Home Affairs Minister is...
    Only ruling party in Singapore is...

Anyway, this is kopitiam talk.
    well, ...what i meant was that, we are to blame....leadership leads...but we choose the leadership.. singaporeans in general are to bo chap. complain and complain and very few are willing to stand up for what we believe in. gotta fight. its a daily battle, if you dont like something stand up for it. it is tiring, but hey we only live once. so tomorrow has to be a better day....hahahah you are right there buddy, kopitiam talk..

its the truth fact davsmiths, what jobo was talking bout.

the true crude harsh facts

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    good idea...

er..redstone, can send us copies (with your personal info removed)?
    Maybe can print onto the T-shirt (front and back) and wear it during the photo trip so will be able to take photograph peacefully.

in this society, a simple word can describe la... NATO...

So anyone still caught by the police yet? I just caught this morning for shooting pics of the Jurong East mrt. The lighting was awesome and the clouds were pretty dramatic. I took out my camera phone and before I knew it, a 'security officer' and a police man stopped me. Wasted 15 mins of my time explaining to them that I was neither a member of any terrorist group or a drug addict. What a great way to start the morning. haha....

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    So anyone still caught by the police yet? I just caught this morning for shooting pics of the Jurong East mrt. The lighting was awesome and the clouds were pretty dramatic. I took out my camera phone and before I knew it, a 'security officer' and a police man stopped me. Wasted 15 mins of my time explaining to them that I was neither a member of any terrorist group or a drug addict. What a great way to start the morning. haha....
    wah... here cannot shoot, there cannot shoot, then might as well abolish camera phones in sg...

Quote Originally Posted by yokechye
    wah... here cannot shoot, there cannot shoot, then might as well abolish camera phones in sg...
    They may if the gahmen thinks it's a threat that's BIG ENUFF
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

vince123123
    Guests

I suggest that next time, when you encounter such a situation or if they take down your details, do request them to provide you their details as well, such as Rank, Name and their Serial Number. This gives them pause to do funny things as they now know that they will similarly be accountable for their actions.

This is not an unreasonable request and they have no reason not to provide these details.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I suggest that next time, when you encounter such a situation or if they take down your details, do request them to provide you their details as well, such as Rank, Name and their Serial Number. This gives them pause to do funny things as they now know that they will similarly be accountable for their actions.

This is not an unreasonable request and they have no reason not to provide these details.
    gd suggestion!

Taking photos of building outside it's premises is not illegal, unless officially gazatted as a 'protected building'.

Yes, as what Vince had said, get their details too.

In my opinion, we can take pictures of all infrastructures (exterior) but we may not be able to take pictures inside some buildings. If the infrastructure is not meant to be shot with a camera, then build it underground. Cos nobody will be able to see it then.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

i face police case two time...
    1)i shoot a pier,starting i shoot sunsut,after that i saw a bird very nice one,the i go close
    to shoot it(i use d70 + 18-70mm),but i over the protected area,so 3 mins later,police come
    2) i also want to take sunset at second link.so before i reach there,i see a company very
    nice(is very interesting me),so i stop and fine some angle to shoot,just 5 shoot
    only,police come and bring me to police station..ask and record and must find proof to
    identify me,after that go my home to check... total around 4 hours the process.
    (i am a good guy,dont lock-up me )

so,now i have sunset fear feel,then i better go shoot model...
    last time i go indonisia travel,i at there have a very nice sunset shoot.
    but,must remember,some sensitive place or building(especially gorv. building) is better to prevent to take photo...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5891011 LastLast