Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: jpeg file saved as tiff

  1. #1

    Default jpeg file saved as tiff

    getting confused . what's the different when we shoot in
    - tiff format and
    - shoot in jpeg format then save it as tiff format in photoshop?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by coke x
    getting confused . what's the different when we shoot in
    - tiff format and
    - shoot in jpeg format then save it as tiff format in photoshop?
    tiff does not compress ur image thus resaving will not degrade the image quality but the file size is much much bigger than jpg. if you shoot in jpg, the image is already compressed, resaving back into tiff will not let the image go back to original before it was compressed to jpg in the camera.

    for me i think jpg is good enough for me as long as i don keep opening and then saving the image again and again

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Tiff to jpen is much better.

    YMMV

  4. #4

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by coke x
    getting confused . what's the different when we shoot in
    - tiff format
    and
    - shoot in jpeg format then save it as tiff format in photoshop?


    pardon my ignorance, i think we cannot shoot in tiff format

    pls correct me if i'm wrong

  5. #5
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Some cameras allow you to shoot in Tiff but this is not common anymore. My Nikon coolpix 885 can shoot in tiff format but it is a rather old camera by todays standards.

  6. #6

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    life is short. dont waste time on picture quality

    use jpeg

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by thobs
    pardon my ignorance, i think we cannot shoot in tiff format

    pls correct me if i'm wrong
    my fz5 could shoot in tiff, tho file size is 14MB compared to 2MB size by a 5MP jpeg

  8. #8
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    life is short. dont waste time on picture quality

    use jpeg
    depends on how u value your photos, it's application and how much pple are paying for it (if any).

    can't use one rule to cover all dude.

    anyway back on topic: tiff is rare now, most pple either shoot jpg, or raw.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    My nikon/canon still produce TIFF.

  10. #10

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by coke x
    getting confused . what's the different when we shoot in
    - tiff format and
    - shoot in jpeg format then save it as tiff format in photoshop?

    yup.. you question confuse me too...

    jpeg files type is a compressed format for images, thus it compromise file size for picture quality, tiff is convented from raw files you get from your dslr, thought the quality is better, the file size is apporx 10 times more then jpeg...

    if you shoot in jpeg, the quality is already compromised.., so imo it's no point conventing to tiff..

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lower Seletar Reservoir
    Posts
    1,048

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    actually, saving from jpeg to tiff prevents the image from deteriorating further.

    if you shoot in jpeg and wish to continue touching up on the image, save it as tiff. only when you are satisfy with the final result and want to send it for printing at a colour lab, save it as jpeg cos most labs dont accept files other than jpeg.

  12. #12
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    I'm just curious anyone out there saves jpeg2000. It's suppose to be an improvment on jpeg.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    I'm just curious anyone out there saves jpeg2000. It's suppose to be an improvment on jpeg.
    No camera out there today has implemented JPEG 2000. The compression is too resource-intesive

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Possible way I can think off is RAW --> TIFF --> JPEG(whatever version).

    YMMV

  15. #15

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    life is short. dont waste time on picture quality

    use jpeg
    LOL! might as well say "life is short..just use a handphone cam"

  16. #16
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    LOL! might as well say "life is short..just use a handphone cam"
    Sometimes it's just more convenient to shoot with your handphone.

  17. #17
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    just to clear things up a bit

    TIFF has compression as well, but it is lossless
    JPEG uses a lossy compression, that is why the file size is so small

    lossy = data is lost = detail is lost

    do a google on the file formats to find out more

  18. #18

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    tiff does not compress ur image thus resaving will not degrade the image quality but the file size is much much bigger than jpg. if you shoot in jpg, the image is already compressed, resaving back into tiff will not let the image go back to original before it was compressed to jpg in the camera.

    for me i think jpg is good enough for me as long as i don keep opening and then saving the image again and again
    Quote Originally Posted by DT_
    yup.. you question confuse me too...

    jpeg files type is a compressed format for images, thus it compromise file size for picture quality, tiff is convented from raw files you get from your dslr, thought the quality is better, the file size is apporx 10 times more then jpeg...

    if you shoot in jpeg, the quality is already compromised.., so imo it's no point conventing to tiff..
    thanks DT and ExplorerZ, you both have cleared my doubt. now i understanding what's the diff.

    Quote Originally Posted by thobs
    pardon my ignorance, i think we cannot shoot in tiff format

    pls correct me if i'm wrong
    i'm currently using fz20 and it allow me to shoot in tiff other than jpeg. i think most panasonic cam will have this.

  19. #19

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    the main advantage for tif is that you can save it in 16bit. This allows you to do more processing in photoshop.

    But I still think raw is the best, smaller and higher quality.

  20. #20

    Default Re: jpeg file saved as tiff

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman
    Possible way I can think off is RAW --> TIFF --> JPEG(whatever version).

    YMMV
    same procedures that i use nowadays ...TIFF for editing then final image is jpeg
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •