Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grey card

Default Re: grey card

hmm..but for grey cards how do i go about using them ah?

Quote Originally Posted by diggitydang
    hmm..but for grey cards how do i go about using them ah?
    The place/source where you learned of the existence of this thing called grey cards should also tell you how to use it.

Cos if it didn't, you wouldn't know what a grey card is and you won't be thinking of buying one now right?

Its like going to a car show room and asking the agent... I want to buy this car... can you teach me how to drive?
    Last edited by solarii; 1st July 2006 at 01:58 PM.

Anyone willing to tell me what is gray card

for what purpose ?

Need advice when using white/gray card:

1. Which "white balance" mode do you use while photographing a white sample? Does it make a diff? Why not "AUTO WB"?

2. Canon manual says set to "Manual Focusing" while taking the sample. Will it upset the outcome if the focusing was not really spot on while taking the sample white object?

Thank you.

1. Which "white balance" mode do you use while photographing a white sample? Does it make a diff? Why not "AUTO WB"?

-You use the Preset White Balance mode. Auto White Balance will usually yield a slightly blue or red cast depending on your camera make and shooting ambience.

2. Canon manual says set to "Manual Focusing" while taking the sample. Will it upset the outcome if the focusing was not really spot on while taking the sample white object?

- No. Your lens do not have to be in focus as long as your gray card covers full-frame. Usually you set your lens to infinity. Same goes for Zone System testing.
    Last edited by photobum; 3rd July 2006 at 08:29 AM.

Thank you. You said "..use the Preset White Balance mode". Do i just use ANY preset mode, or should I try to match the mode according to the lighting condition as close as possible?

I find it unusual that you mentioned "...Usually you set your lens to infinity". But i thought we normally hold the white card in one hand, the camera in the other so it is almost shooting in MACRO, shouldnt we turn the focusing ring closer to macro range instead?

Quote Originally Posted by photobum

-You use the Preset White Balance mode. Auto White Balance will usually yield a slightly blue or red cast depending on your camera make and shooting ambience.

- No. Your lens do not have to be in focus as long as your gray card covers full-frame. Usually you set your lens to infinity. Same goes for Zone System testing.
    Last edited by ianpaice; 3rd July 2006 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice
    Thank you. You said "..use the Preset White Balance mode". Do i just use ANY preset mode, or should I try to match the mode according to the lighting condition as close as possible?
    when you do custom White Balance with a gray card (or with whatever white balance tool or device), you are setting the white balance to the light which you are shoot, so you do a custome white balance with a gray card for the room light when you want to shoot in this room, and you do a custome white balance with a gray card for the lighting under a shade of a tree when you shooting there.

I find it unusual that you mentioned "...Usually you set your lens to infinity". But i thought we normally hold the white card in one hand, the camera in the other so it is almost shooting in MACRO, shouldnt we turn the focusing ring closer to macro range instead?
    you are measuring the SHADE of gray of the GRAYCARD, the card don't have to IN FOCUS.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Catchlights,

Think you may have misunderstood my post. My question is: which preset white balance mode to use while photographing the white card as a reference.

I think you are saying that you need to re-take your sample white card sample whenever lighting condition changes.- yes i definitely agree on this point.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    when you do custom White Balance with a gray card (or with whatever white balance tool or device), you are setting the white balance to the light which you are shoot, so you do a custome white balance with a gray card for the room light when you want to shoot in this room, and you do a custome white balance with a gray card for the lighting under a shade of a tree when you shooting there.

you are measuring the SHADE of gray of the GRAYCARD, the card don't have to IN FOCUS.
    Last edited by ianpaice; 3rd July 2006 at 09:43 AM.

sorry, think you still misinterpreted my point.

Let me type whats in the canon manual:

Photographing a white object

1. Set lens focus to manual and focus manually

2. Set any white balance setting

3. Shoot the white object

Now the question is in point no. 2. The manual says to set ANY white balance. Why "ANY"? Which one should one choose then? Does it makes diff to the outcome? Should one choose the mode closer to the lighting condition? However, the manual does not says to choose the mode according to the room condition.

Read your camera manual, "how to set custom white balance"

Cathlights,

Think you misunderstood my post. My question is: which preset white balance mode to use while photographing the white card as a reference.
    Read your camera manual, "how to set custom white balance" if you want to know about custom balance.

if you want to take a graycard as reference only, shoot it with one mode, whatever mode but not AUTO white balance mode, when the lighting condition change, shoot another graycard for reference. this is for what you want do the correction during post production.

sorry, think you still misinterpreted my point.

Let me type whats in the canon manual:

Photographing a white object

1. Set lens focus to manual and focus manually

2. Set any white balance setting

3. Shoot the white object

Now the question is in point no. 2. The manual says to set ANY white balance. Why "ANY"? Which one should one choose then? Does it makes diff to the outcome? Should one choose the mode closer to the lighting condition? However, the manual does not says to choose the mode according to the room condition.
    the canon way of doing custom white balance is ask photographer shoot a white object with the ANY white balance first, then from camera, select this as reference, and the camera will know this white is WHITE. so ANY white balance mode works.

Anyway, I don't use and never own any Canon before, so Canon users please correct me if I don't get it right.

HI,

I do not know if thet other brands are doing the same. I am just baffled by the "ANY" mode while photographing the white objects. Becos it is clear that using different mode will bring about different "white balance" grey card samples, and if thats the case, wouldnt that affect how the camera going to use it as a reference?

Any Canon users with the understanding care to share?

the canon way of doing custom white balance is ask photographer shoot a white object with the ANY white balance first, then from camera, select this as reference, and the camera will know this white is WHITE. so ANY white balance mode works.

Is just the same as you do it in photoshop, when you use a gray point dropper in color correction tool to piont and set at ANY COLOR, the color correction tool will change THIS COLOR WHICH YOU HAVE SELECTED as midtone gray, the all the rest of colors of whole image will change accordingly.

So, any white balance mode doesn't readly matter when you shooting white object as your reference. (for Canon)
    Last edited by catchlights; 3rd July 2006 at 10:29 AM.

Catchlights, thanks for helping out.

OK, I use a Canon EOS1Ds MkII at work so this is what I will normally do.
    • Set the camera to Manual Focus mode.
    • Allow the camera to set an automatic exposure using the “P”, “S” or “A”
      modes, or set the correct manual exposure in “M” mode.
    • Press and hold the white “WB” button while turning the thumb dial to select the
      custom WB icon in the control panel, then release the“WB” button.
    • Aim the camera in the direction of the gray card for the given lighting condition and
      press the shutter release button.
    • Press the menu button to access menu system.
    • Press and hold the ‘select’ button and rotate the thumb dial to access the
      ‘camera recording sub menu’ <camera icon>, then release the ‘select’ button.
    • Press and hold the ‘select’ button and scroll down to ‘custom WB’ then release
      the ‘select’ button.
    • Press and hold the ‘select’ button and rotate the thumb dial to select the last
      picture taken, then release the ‘select’ button.
    • Press and hold the ‘select’ button and rotate thumb dial to select ‘OK’ then
      release the ‘select’ button.
    • Press the menu button to exit menu system.
    In the case of Nikon DSLR, it is simpler. That's why I still prefer Nikon. Much more user friendly and its functions are straightforward.

Here is the Nikon way:
    • Allow the camera to set an automatic exposure using the “P”, “S” or “A” modes, or set the correct manual exposure in “M” mode.
    • Press and hold the ‘WB’ button with left thumb while turning right thumb wheel to select ‘Pre’ in the control panel, then release the ‘WB’ button.
    • Press and hold the ‘WB’ button again until ‘Pre’ begins to blink in the control panel.
    • While ‘Pre’ is blinking (10 seconds), aim the camera in the direction of the gray card for the given lighting condition and press the shutter release button.
    • ‘Good’ will replace ‘Pre’ in the control to indicate a successful white balance reading.
    Last edited by photobum; 3rd July 2006 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks, I'm not a Canon user, so might be wrong about some info regarding Canon camera.
    anyway,
    Now I know why some people don't like to do a custom white balance.....

....Now I know why some people don't like to do a custom white balance.....
    It is faster and more accurate to perform custom white balance in your camera compare to fixing your images in Photoshop or RAW converter later.
    Last edited by photobum; 3rd July 2006 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    It is faster and more accurate to perform custom white balance in your camera compare to fixing your images in Photoshop or RAW converter later.
    yes, I will prefer custom balance in camera than post production.

but I refering to the C camera and N camera, after reading the step 1 and step 2 and step 3......

The N way, you still have one hand free to hold the expodisc.

The N way, you still have one hand free to hold the expodisc.
    you don't hold the expodisc

yes, it suppose to fix on to the lens, but I usually just hold it infront of the lens, take a custom balance, done, keep it. very fast.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast