Thread: Grey Sets or Orginals?

Default Grey Sets or Orginals?

Hi,
    I reckon there would be such tread, but Tried searched for it but can't find.

1. For Lens, are you willing to buy grey sets or originals if the price difference is >$200?

2. Some ppl say grey sets are lousy. Made in China/Thailand, or even some are rejects after Quality checks from manufacturer. Is it true?

Anyone care to comment on S/N 1 & 2?

Default Re: Grey Sets or Orginals?

dunno about other makes, but that is not true for canon... grey, green or black, all made in japan..

materially there is no difference. you are just as likely to get a bad L lens from cathay, as you would a bad grey set from xyz.
    so yes i would buy one. . most come with international warranty (for canon) anyway.
    Last edited by jdredd; 27th June 2006 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    dunno about other makes, but that is not true for canon... grey, green or black, all made in japan..

materially there is no difference. you are just as likely to get a bad L lens from cathay, as you would a bad grey set from xyz.
    so yes i would buy one. . most come with international warranty (for canon) anyway.
    Thanks for your info. Ya, I'm a Canon user as well. So what I heard is just a myth only? Probably from those sour grapes ppl who thinks more expensive things is always better.

So for Canon grey sets, it comes with international warranty? Canon Singapore will accept to repair under warranty? I doubt so. Probably will repair, but they'll charge right?

firstly, buy from a reputable grey seller. theres no hard and fast rule as to whether they come with warranty or not.
    if they do, i believe it should be a 6mth itnernational warranty which canon singapore has to honour and i believe there is no service charge for that. but u will need to show the receipt as proof of purchase.

here's the description about grey set, it should be same applied in Singapore:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rketStatic.jsp

its a same quality la...only different distribution.
    ubans.com

gray set cost less

the idea of "warranty" for electroinics is just a mental handicap.

I prefer to buy original. Cos when you have complex or unusual problems with the equipment, you can explain to the local agent service technicians directly.

eg. You suspect your lens have focusing prob and you want it to be checked with your body togther so as to ensure that they work together well. If yours is a grey set (with no international warranty), you can only send the lens only to the retail shop (grey set seller) - but you wouldnt want to entrust them with your camera body. If your lens were local warrantied, you can bring your body directly to local service centre to be checked. Furthermore you get to know exactly what has been done or replaced.

For grey sets, you may not get to see the service report and wont know if the problems were properly related to the technician and that full appropriate repair work has been performed.

Another example, your new grey set lens was unfortunately found to have some unacceptable dust inside. You send the lens in to the retail shop and they promise to clean for you ....but would they send in the lens to the local agent or would they get 3rd party (cheaper) repair shop to correct minor faults for you? Whom would you prefer to handle your new lens that you saved so hard for? Just my 2 cents. Actually ..not really 2 cents but from my own personal experience with an incident ...
    Last edited by ianpaice; 28th June 2006 at 12:41 AM.

the B&H example is not exactly true for the signapore context.

you dont have to send it back to the shop.

lest there be any confusion, if you have an International warranty with your grey set, it will be serviced by canon singapore for free within the warranty period, but u will need to show warranty card & proof of purchase. this issue has been discussed a number of times re canon international warranty and people have sent their equipment in for servicing with no charge.

i believe nikon also recognises international warranty.
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/warranty.php

hehe... Even Wikipedia highlights warranty issues in Singapore and Canon L lenses in their explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

More of Wikipedia on Canon L Lenses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount#L-lens

In the link above, it says "Larger sized L-lenses, such as the 70-200mm and 100-400mm zooms and longer focal length primes (300mm+), usually have a light grey barrel to reduce heat absorption under the sun that may otherwise affect the performance of the lens, as well as to identify Canon's lenses, for example at sporting events. However, shorter focal length L-lenses can be black (such as the Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L and all L-lens primes under 300mm). Therefore L-lenses can be identified by either a lens barrel's off-white colour or, as on all L-lenses, the distinctive red ring on the lens barrel."

The heat absoption thing ... interesting ..last time time never thought about heat dissipation.
    Last edited by ianpaice; 28th June 2006 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice
    The heat absoption thing ... interesting ..last time time never thought about heat dissipation.
    haha next time, leave your metal camera (like the 1 series or 10D and up) with a metal barrel lens out in Singapore's sun for 3-4 hours... come back and hold it. just dont drop the setup due to shock...
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

i'm not sure whether the rule of international warranties apply to grey sets. As i understand it, an international warranty is only valid if it is stamped by an authorized dealer. The dealer may be from hk, malaysia, japan, usa, etc but he has to be a canon authorized dealer. Most grey sets are parallel imported from abroad and the seller is not an authorized dealer. It comes from a legitimate source, but the international warranty card that comes with it is useless as it is not stamped appropriately and the receipt you have is invalid for warranty claims as it is not from an authorized dealer. At least thats what was explained to me when i last emailed them to check.

Grey set is also original. Only the seller source it by other way than from authorized distributor. Maybe they bring in themself (no tax paid, so price is cheaper). Since grey set come not from authorized distributor, grey set have no warranty (some shop give shop warranty).

Non original is fake set, set that come not from the original/authorized factory.

Warranty set means the set have warranty (maybe 1 or 2 years or more, depends on manufacturer) for defect caused by factory fault.

Grey set usually cheaper. How much cheaper? Depends on lens. You can't expect $200 cheaper than warranty set for $600 lens.

If you never use warranty card, then grey set is ok. Word of caution: try to buy grey set from known and established shop.

Regards,
    Arto.

It is so tempting to buy a grey set lens when it's $200 to $300 cheaper! I wonder how come they can get so cheap and yet make a profit! Imagine a $1200 lens selling at $900. They might have got the lens only at $700 to $800!
    Wow, just imagine how much a manufacturer earns if they sell you at $1200! Easily cost of manufacture is only $200 to $300!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by genekwek
    It is so tempting to buy a grey set lens when it's $200 to $300 cheaper! I wonder how come they can get so cheap and yet make a profit! Imagine a $1200 lens selling at $900. They might have got the lens only at $700 to $800!
    Wow, just imagine how much a manufacturer earns if they sell you at $1200! Easily cost of manufacture is only $200 to $300!
    actually manufacturer profits are based on volume... There is a lot of markup along the way before it reaches you...

I not surprised if the lens cost $200-300 each...

Quote Originally Posted by genekwek
    It has been reported that manufacturers' markup for high end SLRs is in the region of 100%.(wholesale price!)
    Meaning to say their cost is probably around 40% of the retail prices that you pay.

Let's start listing the grey sets if you own one, and how it performs!

For me, I've only got Grey 430EX flash. New set, no warranty. But working excellant! Using for 6 mths liao....

Anyone care to add more?

Lets say one of the lens with warranty is $2500-$2550, while the grey set is $1900+, will u buy it??

i used my calculator and calculated that this is a 25% savings! so how?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    Lets say one of the lens with warranty is $2500-$2550, while the grey set is $1900+, will u buy it??

i used my calculator and calculated that this is a 25% savings! so how?
    I have more than a dozen Nikon items and yet to take advantage any of the warranty. Even the free cleaning of camera, I only found out after the offer have expired. I paid for the cleaning but I was told the dirt I'm complaining is inside the camera and since I only paid $30 for basic cleaning, they will not open my camera to clean it out so it is still there until now.

So for me I would go for the grey set if available and treat the $500+ difference as my insurance/repair budget which if not used for 1 year then its converted to savings. For Nikon, It seems durable enough to last for a year without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I have more than a dozen Nikon items and yet to take advantage any of the warranty. Even the free cleaning of camera, I only found out after the offer have expired. I paid for the cleaning but I was told the dirt I'm complaining is inside the camera and since I only paid $30 for basic cleaning, they will not open my camera to clean it out so it is still there until now.

So for me I would go for the grey set if available and treat the $500+ difference as my insurance/repair budget which if not used for 1 year then its converted to savings. For Nikon, It seems durable enough to last for a year without any problems.
    actually i 100% agree with what u said, and i also have high faith in nikon products. the only thing i m "worried" about is I get a lousy set..and they dun wan to acknowledge the fault and do a 1-1 exchange..

In this case, is bringing my notebook down there to test on the spot the best solution?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    actually i 100% agree with what u said, and i also have high faith in nikon products. the only thing i m "worried" about is I get a lousy set..and they dun wan to acknowledge the fault and do a 1-1 exchange..

In this case, is bringing my notebook down there to test on the spot the best solution?
    Up to you how you want to test it. Normally some seller also have x days or weeks warranty so you can still test it on your own.