Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infinity Focus

Default Infinity Focus

Why is it necessary to even focus again once focus has been set to infinity? Shouldn't everything just be sharp?

Default Re: Infinity Focus

Quote Originally Posted by megascriler
    Why is it necessary to even focus again once focus has been set to infinity? Shouldn't everything just be sharp?
    things that are near are not sharp, aka those before the infinity.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Do a search for the following:

hyperfocal distance.

Let there be light

oh no, not again... :P (not the question, but the different possible interpretations)

hi megascriler, when you say "infinity focus" do you mean "focus at infinity", ie very far away objects, or hyperfocal distance, which is about how to get a lot of the image in focus, from foreground to background?
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

i think he meant hyperfocal distance... where subjects from distance X metres to infinity is focused. subjects before distance X will not be sharp if hyperfocusing is used.

btw pai, i love ur sig hahaha.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein
    i think he meant hyperfocal distance... where subjects from distance X metres to infinity is focused. subjects before distance X will not be sharp if hyperfocusing is used.

btw pai, i love ur sig hahaha.
    Allow me to do correction.

Please read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance

Regards,
    Arto.

I read about the hyperfocal distance thingy....but how to apply? If say for example I calculated and know that at a particular setting of my camera, my hyperfocal distance is 16m, then by theory I should set my focus to 16m. then can I say that I can be sure that the objects from 8m to infinity will be sharp?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut
    I read about the hyperfocal distance thingy....but how to apply? If say for example I calculated and know that at a particular setting of my camera, my hyperfocal distance is 16m, then by theory I should set my focus to 16m. then can I say that I can be sure that the objects from 8m to infinity will be sharp?

thanks.
    Where you get 8m? Is it from the calculation for Near Distance? If yes, it should be correct.

For easy to calculate DoF and hyperfocal, you can use this program:
    http://www.davideubank.com/

pCAM, I wrote that program, but only for PalmOS device. Not the PC. If you can download palmOS emulator, you can run it on PC.

Regards,
    Arto.

Hey Artosoft! You are great! I am a palm user too, so I can use your pCAM!! Freeware huh?

Thanks for the info!!

By the way, I type wrongly, since hyperfocal distance is 16m, then I should focus to 16m and then expect objects from 8m-infinity to be sharp....right?

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Where you get 8m? Is it from the calculation for Near Distance? If yes, it should be correct.

For easy to calculate DoF and hyperfocal, you can use this program:
    http://www.davideubank.com/

pCAM, I wrote that program, but only for PalmOS device. Not the PC. If you can download palmOS emulator, you can run it on PC.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by lastboltnut; 28th June 2006 at 10:35 AM.

Hey Artosoft! You are great! I am a palm user too, so I can use your pCAM!! Freeware huh?

Thanks for the info!!
    Is not freeware . Shareware. But, it is only give you nag screen every time you run it. It is not a crippled software even if you are not registered.

Hope it is usefull for you .

Regards,
    Arto.

Oic...I have just downloaded it, will try later...Thanks again!

Hi Artosoft,

I tried your software, it is very good! Very fast and I dun have to use Excel to do the calculation on the move anymore!!

By the way, I got info from a website saying Canon S3 IS has COC of 0.005mm (5 micron), is it possible?? Is it too fine?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    oh no, not again... :P (not the question, but the different possible interpretations)

hi megascriler, when you say "infinity focus" do you mean "focus at infinity", ie very far away objects, or hyperfocal distance, which is about how to get a lot of the image in focus, from foreground to background?
    Not to fret... both infinity focus and hyper focal distance are inter-related although they refer to different things.

You can't explain the concept of hyper focal dist without first understanding what infinity focus is, so by reading up, its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone

Anyway it takes some time to decrypt newbie codes.... if they knew how to describe it precisely, they'll probably know whats going on and won't have to ask in the first place!
    Last edited by solarii; 28th June 2006 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pai

relax and be tolerant to newbies.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Hi Artosoft,

I tried your software, it is very good! Very fast and I dun have to use Excel to do the calculation on the move anymore!!

By the way, I got info from a website saying Canon S3 IS has COC of 0.005mm (5 micron), is it possible?? Is it too fine?

Thanks.
    Since I believe Canon S3 IS have a small sensor compare to film or APS-C size or DX size sensor, it is possible. Do you know exactly the size of S3 sensor? Probably I can calculate it.

For Nikon DX, my calculation for CoC is 18micron. Canon APS-C will be smaller (I guest it is 16micron).

If anyone have better or exact calculation for digital size sensor, please let us know. Thx.

Actually, now I am using PocketPC. But I run pCAM through StyleTap:
    http://www.styletap.com

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Allow me to do correction.

Please read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance

Regards,
    Arto.
    ehh i read the link, but i cant figure out where i am wrong at?

this site is more user-friendly http://www.dofmaster.com/
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

yeah i have a webby that links to a calculator that works for digital cams too...
    http://photoinf.com/Tools/Don_Flemin...alculator.html

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Not to fret... both infinity focus and hyper focal distance are inter-related although they refer to different things.

You can't explain the concept of hyper focal dist without first understanding what infinity focus is, so by reading up, its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone

Anyway it takes some time to decrypt newbie codes.... if they knew how to describe it precisely, they'll probably know whats going on and won't have to ask in the first place!
    ooo very true!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein
    ehh i read the link, but i cant figure out where i am wrong at?
    Ok, let me try to explain in my Singlish :

DoF (Depth of Field) its something like this:
    CAMERA ..................................... Dnear...... Dfocus................Dfar.

Hyperfocal when set to Dfocus, anything from Dnear to Dfar (infinity) is in focus.

While your mention only from Dfocus to Dfar (infinity) is in focus .

I hope it is clarify everything.

Regards,
    Arto.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast