Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shots from my improvised studio...

Default Shots from my improvised studio...

First time doing this... Comments welcome.... Used Fujifilm Finepix S5500...

Filled up with the "xiang shi dou", Introducing the "ABSOLUT LOVE"...

Over-flowing "ABSOLUT LOVE"...

The setup of "ABSOLUT LOVE"...

High-key shot of Jim Beam

Chivas
    Last edited by Youhong; 26th June 2006 at 06:26 PM.
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Default Re: Shots from my improvised studio...

are you able to point out what's not good in your shots?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    are you able to point out what's not good in your shots?
    Shadow can be seen at the background... Because I used A4 papers, there are lines in between... Colour and contrast looks weird too... Need some advice to improve... How about the concept of the "ABSOLUT LOVE" ?
    Last edited by Youhong; 26th June 2006 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong
    Shadow can be seen at the background... Because I used A4 papers, there are lines in between... Colour and contrast looks weird too... Need some advice to improve... How about the concept of the "ABSOLUT LOVE" ?
    since you have little experience in glass still-life, i personally would think that one reads up on magazines and study advertisement posters to get a sense of what constitute an appealing still-life shot of glass elements. try to mimick the shots you see. for a start experiment with 1 light source, observe how light gets reflected off glass surfaces, then start adding reflectors to see how you can fill shadows, add lines and shapes to the reflections. i don't know what kind of lighting setup you're working with, but you'll benefit from experimenting with external light sources that can be triggered at different position.

Some more attempts using Salted plum...

it's not working. i'll share with you a basic setup, for reference only. the important thing is to study good precedents, and try to mimick them with whatever equipment available and appropriate. you must study how light effects your subject, and not just keep shooting blindly. and you must understand that photoshop and photo-editing should not be used to correct bad images, they are used to enhance photos that are well-taken to begin with.

to begin, learn to work with a single flash lightsource and introduce reflectors as you move along.
    learn how light behaves. start with a smooth background by using a paper/cardboard
    bent upwards to remove any excessive joint lines.
    Last edited by eikin; 27th June 2006 at 08:17 PM.

eikin's pretty much covered all bases... follow the set-up he recommends and you'll get pretty good shots.

To add on:

1) Its usually better to diffuse the light for product shots such as these. Diffused lighting works well for basic product shots. Hard lighting requires more skill/experience to work, whereas soft lighting tends to be more forgiving to beginners.

2) For glassware shots such as yours, underlighting usually works. I'm not saying its the only or necessarily the best way... depends on what you want. But based on the style/composition of your shots, underlighting will probably work better than what you're using.

3) As a general guideline, don't use head-on flash. Guidelines are, of course, meant to be broken but only if you know what you're doing. Else just stick to it.

Also, try not to shoot glassware. Start with figurines, small ornaments etc. These are easier to handle for basic set-up. Glassware tends to require something more elaborate to stand out.
    Last edited by solarii; 27th June 2006 at 08:52 PM.

Did you draw this? Pretty good diagram

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Did you draw this? Pretty good diagram
    thanks solarii, just a rough sketch off the wacom tablet

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    eikin's pretty much covered all bases... follow the set-up he recommends and you'll get pretty good shots.

To add on:

1) Its usually better to diffuse the light for product shots such as these. Diffused lighting works well for basic product shots. Hard lighting requires more skill/experience to work, whereas soft lighting tends to be more forgiving to beginners.

2) For glassware shots such as yours, underlighting usually works. I'm not saying its the only or necessarily the best way... depends on what you want. But based on the style/composition of your shots, underlighting will probably work better than what you're using.

3) As a general guideline, don't use head-on flash. Guidelines are, of course, meant to be broken but only if you know what you're doing. Else just stick to it.

Also, try not to shoot glassware. Start with figurines, small ornaments etc. These are easier to handle for basic set-up. Glassware tends to require something more elaborate to stand out.
    Hi solarii, as a newbie, I am kinda confused with all the lighting terms. What is diffused lighting, soft lighting, hard lighting and underlighting? Is there any website that shows examples of the various lighting? Sorry if I asked anything wrongly hehehe

this website is quite useful.

http://www.ezcube.com/HowTo/

Quote Originally Posted by philipcs
    this website is quite useful.

http://www.ezcube.com/HowTo/
    Yes this is a gd site which will serve as a nice starting point... lots of ideas, although they've held back some trade secrets

Anyway with practice you'll learn them so no probs.
    Last edited by solarii; 28th June 2006 at 12:46 AM.

Actually, i'd like to make 2 suggestions.

1) Think about the concept. I believe you can come up with a better image once you understand the "feel" of the concept itself. What makes absolute love and how are you going to portray that in your image.

2) Instead of using a flash to shoot this, how about using a table lamp first? Not all shots are done with flash lighting (whether it's via flashgun or studio strobe), and with constant lighting you can concentrate on other aspects of the shot for starters.

Blog Entries

to add a little more

try using a bigger bg paper (majong paper?)

place your subject further away from the bg
    this is to make the bg less focused and out of the DOF

try directing the light at the background instead of your subject
    this should give you a good start for glass and water shots

once you do this then you can decide if you want to add more lights
    to the side to sculpt the subject so that it will not appear too flat.

a studio is a controlled enviroment... experiment
    if you see something that dose not look right, change it...

reshoot until you get exactly what you want.
    refer to ads and posters for a start

I just use natural sunlight. Put your subject on a big mahjong paper or any other paper or material. Put them beside a bright window and shoot, in RAW. And then you can do some magic in photoshop, such as mutiple exposure development/HDR, removing unwanted shadows, wrinkles, etc in backgroud, etc.

Here are my $0.02.

First things first, the cap on your absolute bottle was the wrong cap, it was not the right cap for that bottle. Next thing is the cap on the Jim Beam bottle was not seated properly.

Your subject, bottle/glass are too close to the back ground.

I think someone might have mentioned this but your light source needs to be more diffused, it is too direct, hence the harsh shadows. I think in this case a soft box would help alot.

And as far as a background, I would look for another material that you can reuse or clean easily since you are going to be shooting liquids. Mahjong paper works if you are shooting other objects that are not wet or messy. I believe Cathay sells a background that is made out of something more durable and can be cleaned.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for all the advices...

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    Here are my $0.02.

First things first, the cap on your absolute bottle was the wrong cap, it was not the right cap for that bottle. Next thing is the cap on the Jim Beam bottle was not seated properly.
    The cap of the ABSOLUT VOKDA is the original one....

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong
    Thanks for all the advices...

The cap of the ABSOLUT VOKDA is the original one....

Ooops my bad!!!

But it does look alittle bigger than what is meant for the bottle. I gues it must be the fact that you are using the miniature alcohol bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    Ooops my bad!!!

But it does look alittle bigger than what is meant for the bottle. I gues it must be the fact that you are using the miniature alcohol bottle.
    Yup... that's right... It's the miniature one... Can't tell meh??? from the "xiang si dou" and the bottle size....

But... I still got some questions... How to shoot flames??? The flames just appeared to be a very bright spot that's all with no details... What shutter speed should I use??? Here are some taken quite long ago...

it's not working. i'll share with you a basic setup, for reference only. the important thing is to study good precedents, and try to mimick them with whatever equipment available and appropriate. you must study how light effects your subject, and not just keep shooting blindly. and you must understand that photoshop and photo-editing should not be used to correct bad images, they are used to enhance photos that are well-taken to begin with.

to begin, learn to work with a single flash lightsource and introduce reflectors as you move along.
    learn how light behaves. start with a smooth background by using a paper/cardboard
    bent upwards to remove any excessive joint lines.
    Thanks...
    Here's what I found online... Do you think this is good???
    http://americanrecorder.com/catalog/...4d01b857b568cd

Last edited by Youhong; 3rd July 2006 at 05:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast