Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice on flash photography

Default Re: Advice on flash photography

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    are you using sanyos? if so, this is a known problem with certain batches. search the forums, there was some sort of exchange programme going on.
    Hi, I'm using GP batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by enyu
    tks pai for yr explanation... reason why i used f1.8 is that i wanted a shallow depth of field. thot TTL will do the rest for me. take note of what u said. by the way can i do what i mentioned in Q2 if I wanted both bkgnd & subject to be... errrr... at least as close to correct exposure as possible using spot metering to lock bkgnd exposure and use flash on subject (but use a bigger f-stop this time to match 1/60 flash speed) ??? or should i just use 3D-metering and let the camera do the rest of calculation ???

this is where a neutral density filter comes in useful. to allow wide aperture or slow shutter on a bright day.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    this is where a neutral density filter comes in useful. to allow wide aperture or slow shutter on a bright day.
    roger, i have a B+W UV right now, placed order for a nikon NC filter.

thks

Quote Originally Posted by enyu
    roger, i have a B+W UV right now, placed order for a nikon NC filter.

thks

no no. a Neutral Density filter. it cuts out light while retaining colour fidelity, like an untinted sunglasses. They come in several "powers" in terms of how much light they block out.

I see mpenza have mentioned ND filters already. You must pay attention to all his good advises and ask if any terms are unfamiliar. Don't assume else you will not learn.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 27th June 2006 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Try shooting rear-sync flash at shutter speeds lower than 1/30 if you want to see it. People have varying response/sensitivity to preflash, some can see it even at higher shutter speeds.

the camera also makes a difference. the pre/main flash used to be quite distinct when I used the 550EX on a G5. on the 20D it is cannot be distinguished. I suppose the G5 takes much longer to calculate the correct setting.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    Hi, I'm using GP batteries.
    sorry, then i can't help. maybe it's the way you charge your batteries... there's no reason why the discharge rate should be so high.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    sorry, then i can't help. maybe it's the way you charge your batteries... there's no reason why the discharge rate should be so high.
    my charger is quite old, bought at the time where probably not even the 2000mA batteries are out. dunno if that's the problem.

anyway thanks.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    hand holding flash also need to perform that role if needed. but usually, once you're in the right position, there's no need to zoom much.
    Ok thnks for advise..will try tis once i get my setup ready..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    my charger is quite old, bought at the time where probably not even the 2000mA batteries are out. dunno if that's the problem.

anyway thanks.
    Charger may be the cause of problem with fast discharging batteries..just want to let u noe my case..

I use to have a sony quick charger, it charges batteries real fast..4 2100mAH AA batteries around 4-5 hours..but it only lasted me like 50 shots on my Canon A95..2 months later the charger "died"...led light no light emission..so buy a new one from SimLim..since low on budget, i got a slow charger abt 8-9 hours for 4 AA cells...but surprizingly, i can shoot up to 200+ shots now..i'm totally amazed..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234