Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

Thread: Advice on flash photography

  1. #41

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Hi, is there any way to check if my SB600 is working fine? I seemed to find it giving me under-exposed shots when i took pics around my house which i suppose is relatively dim, especially in the wider 18-20+mm range. Even the subject I'm trying to shoot is not bright enough and there's not much difference from the shots taken with the in-built flash.

    I have checked that it's set to iTTL already but still can't figure out wat's the problem. Also, my 2500mA batteries seemed to run out after only about 20-30 shots! Thanks.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    Hi, is there any way to check if my SB600 is working fine? I seemed to find it giving me under-exposed shots when i took pics around my house which i suppose is relatively dim, especially in the wider 18-20+mm range. Even the subject I'm trying to shoot is not bright enough and there's not much difference from the shots taken with the in-built flash.

    I have checked that it's set to iTTL already but still can't figure out wat's the problem. Also, my 2500mA batteries seemed to run out after only about 20-30 shots! Thanks.
    What is your camera's aperture setting? And the distance from camera to subject?

    Regards,
    Arto.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice
    Bro artosoft, what equipment are you using?
    Nikon D70s.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Sorry i am still confused. When using my 20d with 580ex, I do not noticed any preflash being fired except for 1 single burst of flash. Is the preflash so fast such that it appears to be incorporated into the main burst flash or am I missing something here?

    Does that means I am not utilising ETTL? Or do I need to press the "FEL" button each time before I fire a shot?

    Thanks

  5. #45
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice
    Sorry i am still confused. When using my 20d with 580ex, I do not noticed any preflash being fired except for 1 single burst of flash. Is the preflash so fast such that it appears to be incorporated into the main burst flash or am I missing something here?

    Does that means I am not utilising ETTL? Or do I need to press the "FEL" button each time before I fire a shot?

    Thanks
    Just FYI, TTL preflash can't be seen by the naked eye..dun worry abt not seeing it..
    as long u confirm the mode is right..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  6. #46
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    1 more question on bounce flash..hope to gain some light on tis issue..

    Flash type: SB600 wif soften omnibounce
    Tilt angle: 60'deg
    Flash Mode: iTTL
    Environment: Indoor + Mid Ceiling (not too low, not too high, abt 3~4m)

    When taking pictures normally(landscape mode/horizontally)..flash works correctly..meaning shadows are properly filled/less harsh..

    When taking pictures straight(potrait mode/vertically)..flash has cast a shadow to the right side of the subject..

    Question: How to set the flash head such tat can be used correctly for both horizontal and vertical shots? Or any other means like camera settings/flash head tilt angle/bounce card/light sphere/lumniquest devices to correct the problem.

    Note: If your answer requires changing/tilting the flash head for different shooting style; then I thank you in advance..as my requirement is for shooting fast moving events..

    Best Regards
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    2 ways I could think of now:
    1. use a flash bracket that allows you to "flip" the flash quickly when needed to position the flash above the lens. Stroboframe is one of the popular manufacturers:
    http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?...me=stroboframe
    2. handhold the flash above your head for pleasant lighting from the top.

    For both, either use a wireless trigger or wired trigger.

    I tend to use method 2 (with lightsphere attached to flash) now-a-days for weddings. Allows me to position the flash where I like (up, down, left or right!). Takes some getting used to though.
    Last edited by mpenza; 27th June 2006 at 10:06 AM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    1 more question on bounce flash..hope to gain some light on tis issue..

    Flash type: SB600 wif soften omnibounce
    Tilt angle: 60'deg
    Flash Mode: iTTL
    Environment: Indoor + Mid Ceiling (not too low, not too high, abt 3~4m)

    When taking pictures normally(landscape mode/horizontally)..flash works correctly..meaning shadows are properly filled/less harsh..

    When taking pictures straight(potrait mode/vertically)..flash has cast a shadow to the right side of the subject..

    Question: How to set the flash head such tat can be used correctly for both horizontal and vertical shots? Or any other means like camera settings/flash head tilt angle/bounce card/light sphere/lumniquest devices to correct the problem.

    Note: If your answer requires changing/tilting the flash head for different shooting style; then I thank you in advance..as my requirement is for shooting fast moving events..

    Best Regards
    you get a shadow when using portrait becos ur flash is on the left of your lens. best way is to use a Flash Bracket aka stroboframe to make ur flash above ur lens instead of on the left. to use it on d70s, you can either use commander mode in ur d70 or attach a sc28 or sc29 TTL flash cable (not sure which one is better )

  9. #49
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    2 ways I could think of now:
    1. use a flash bracket that allows you to "flip" the flash quickly when needed to position the flash above the lens. Stroboframe is one of the popular manufacturers:
    http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?...me=stroboframe
    2. handhold the flash above your head for pleasant lighting from the top.

    For both, either use a wireless trigger or wired trigger.

    I tend to use method 2 (with lightsphere attached to flash) now-a-days for weddings. Allows me to position the flash where I like (up, down, left or right!). Takes some getting used to though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    you get a shadow when using portrait becos ur flash is on the left of your lens. best way is to use a Flash Bracket aka stroboframe to make ur flash above ur lens instead of on the left. to use it on d70s, you can either use commander mode in ur d70 or attach a sc28 or sc29 TTL flash cable (not sure which one is better :dunno
    Thank you mpenza & ExplorerZ

    With regard to ur recommendation for flash bracket aka stroboframe, i dun quite like the idea, as i will still need to perform some rotation on the bracket..as i oni got time to rotate the camera, compose+adjustments, focus and shoot..

    as for mpenza recommendations on lightsphere..i've read good comments abt its capability..but i'm not sure how well it works..perhaps u can help shed some light? since u have been doing a lot of wedding shoot which requires fast action oso..

    By the way i'm not sure abt the flash model u're using..so my assumptions are based on my SB600..
    Question on lightsphere:
    1.) Can the lightsphere work safely(correct exposure) for all shots by pointing the flash 90'deg upwards? be it shooting horizontally or vertically..

    2.) Do you place the dome cap on top? If yes, is it very loose? Afraid that it may drop out when camera is shooting vertically and the frequent change in shooting style..

    Best Regards
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    ah .... that clears it up. Thought I am supposed to see something when preflash fires all along so I was wrong. Wonder what kind of light it is - invisible? Thanks man.



    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Just FYI, TTL preflash can't be seen by the naked eye..dun worry abt not seeing it..
    as long u confirm the mode is right..

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice
    Sorry i am still confused. When using my 20d with 580ex, I do not noticed any preflash being fired except for 1 single burst of flash. Is the preflash so fast such that it appears to be incorporated into the main burst flash or am I missing something here?

    Does that means I am not utilising ETTL? Or do I need to press the "FEL" button each time before I fire a shot?

    Thanks
    Hmmmm .

    Looks like different system, Nikon iTTL and Canon eTTL, different way to achieve proper flash's illumination.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Thank you mpenza & ExplorerZ

    With regard to ur recommendation for flash bracket aka stroboframe, i dun quite like the idea, as i will still need to perform some rotation on the bracket..as i oni got time to rotate the camera, compose+adjustments, focus and shoot..
    If it's still too much hassle (straightforward and fast in practical use!), then live with the shadows loh or just shoot "horizontally" and crop later.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    By the way i'm not sure abt the flash model u're using..so my assumptions are based on my SB600..
    Question on lightsphere:
    1.) Can the lightsphere work safely(correct exposure) for all shots by pointing the flash 90'deg upwards? be it shooting horizontally or vertically..

    2.) Do you place the dome cap on top? If yes, is it very loose? Afraid that it may drop out when camera is shooting vertically and the frequent change in shooting style..

    Best Regards
    1) Depends on the distance to subject. With the Lightshpere, the flash distance is greatly reduced.

    2) I only used it with the cap on. It's pretty tight. I hold it in my hands though as stated earlier.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Dear Mpenza, while one hand is holding your flash with the dome 'above your head', the hand I assume will be supporting your cam. I take it your cam has a vert grip as well. My question: isn't it very uncomfortable and how you manage to keep your images sharp! Skills from a master! Do hope you can share.... thank you.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-in-the-woods
    Dear Mpenza, while one hand is holding your flash with the dome 'above your head', the hand I assume will be supporting your cam. I take it your cam has a vert grip as well. My question: isn't it very uncomfortable and how you manage to keep your images sharp! Skills from a master! Do hope you can share.... thank you.
    I use light equipment (light camera+light lens) and support (e.g. leaning on walls) when available

  16. #56

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Just FYI, TTL preflash can't be seen by the naked eye..dun worry abt not seeing it..
    Try shooting rear-sync flash at shutter speeds lower than 1/30 if you want to see it. People have varying response/sensitivity to preflash, some can see it even at higher shutter speeds.

    If preflashes were invisible, they would not work.

    As to your query for a fast reacting flash bracket, the Stroboframe VH2000(Stroboflip) is one such bracket. All it requires is a flick of the wrist to change the position.

  17. #57
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    I use light equipment (light camera+light lens) and support (e.g. leaning on walls) when available
    Then how u zoom? Or u use fixed length lens?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Then how u zoom? Or u use fixed length lens?
    hand holding flash also need to perform that role if needed. but usually, once you're in the right position, there's no need to zoom much.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    Also, my 2500mA batteries seemed to run out after only about 20-30 shots! Thanks.
    are you using sanyos? if so, this is a known problem with certain batches. search the forums, there was some sort of exchange programme going on.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

  20. #60

    Default Re: Advice on flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    What is your camera's aperture setting? And the distance from camera to subject?

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Hi, i put use the P mode on my D50, so the aperture given is F4 at 1/60s. Distance is probably less than 2m.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •