Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on flash photography

Default Re: Advice on flash photography

tokina AF Pro DX 12-24mm f/4 ??? you mean those stage shots (Thai Girls Show) taken without flash ? IMPRESSIVE.... I will go for nikkor 80-200mm 1st & hopefully can get myself a wide zoom in future. <<must invest more in TOTO & 4D liao>>

btw, how did you "lock" exposure to get 1/60s shutter speed? were u using manual mode?

Problems with flash ... I always wonder how is the camera gonna calculate flash output power when most of us adopt the bounce or angled flash?

I noticed that once you tilt your flash, the distance meter on the flash will not be able to detect the distance anymore. And since the flash is going to be bounce there is no way for the camera to know how high or reflective is the ceiling so it cant really know and control the output power right? In that case, the TTL or ETTL feature is pretty redundant isnt it?

Is my understanding correct?

there is an EL button on the D70, Hope I was doing the right thing, I point at the place that i wanted the camera to meter & have correct exposure, pressed the EL button and than focus on my subject who is under shade and shoot with fill flash, hoping that the SB-600 TTL will the rest for me.

which mode (aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, program or auto) were you using? reason i asked is that it's kind of odd for the D70 to be so wrong with the spot metering.
    Last edited by mpenza; 26th June 2006 at 10:45 AM.

aperture mode... plse advice am i doing the right thing

let me re-phase my needs again...
    case 1 : subject under shade with bright bkgnd, I wanted both bkgnd and subject to be correctly exposed.
    Case 2 : subject under bright sunlight with shadow on the face.

thks...

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice
    Problems with flash ... I always wonder how is the camera gonna calculate flash output power when most of us adopt the bounce or angled flash?

I noticed that once you tilt your flash, the distance meter on the flash will not be able to detect the distance anymore. And since the flash is going to be bounce there is no way for the camera to know how high or reflective is the ceiling so it cant really know and control the output power right? In that case, the TTL or ETTL feature is pretty redundant isnt it?

I don't know how it works in Canon (eTTL), but in Nikon with iTTL, it will do pre-flash before the real flash. From the pre-flash, the camera (and/or flash) will determine the correct output from flash to iluminate subject. This mean, in bounce or angled flash, the flash will still correctly iluminate the subject.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by enyu
    tokina AF Pro DX 12-24mm f/4 ??? you mean those stage shots (Thai Girls Show) taken without flash ? IMPRESSIVE.... I will go for nikkor 80-200mm 1st & hopefully can get myself a wide zoom in future. <<must invest more in TOTO & 4D liao>>
    no la i only use 12-24 on the scenery mostly... all the performance were shot using 80-200 at f2.8 and iso 1600 (very inconsistant lighting, so i don wanna risk going at iso800 which sometimes can't even achieve 1/40")
    and yes all without flash except on the gal who got scorpio on her body. the contrast was very poor without flash so i ended up using built in flash

aperture mode... plse advice am i doing the right thing
    camera should have been able to select the shutter speed (up till 1/500s x-sync speed - D70 does not support high speed flash sync unlike the higher end Nikon bodies) to properly expose the background.

next time u try, meter with and without flash and see the results (shutter speed). if even at the limit of 1/500s and lowest ISO, the background is still overexposed at the aperture used, you either have to step down or add neutral density (ND) filters.

<mpenza>

let me re-phase my needs again...
    case 1 : subject under shade with bright bkgnd, I wanted both bkgnd and subject to be correctly exposed.
    Case 2 : subject under bright sunlight with shadow on the face.

thks...
    Set you flash in "iTTL BL". Usually we under-exposure flash for 0.5-2ev, depends on your like. Set your camera metering on "Centre Weight". Focus on subject. Press EL button to lock exposure. Compose. Click... .

But I suggest you not to take photo when the sun is on the top. Pity the subject, also not so good lightning (too strong, unless there are much clouds). The good time is morning (before 11:00am) and afternoon (after 4:00pm). With plenty of white clouds.

Regards,
    Arto.

Not really right. Showing the distance on the flash is separate from the ability for proper flash exposure.

Under ETTL, whether you tilt or not, the camera fires a pre-flash and "measures" this reflected pre-flash to determine the duration of main flash needed for proper flash exposure and fires off the main flash accordingly.

Under TTL (through the lens), whether you tilt or not, the camera "mesasures" the reflected flash through the lens to determine the proper flash exposure and cut off the flash accordingly.
    Last edited by mpenza; 26th June 2006 at 02:22 PM.

do i adjust my aperture (in aperture priority mode) until i get a corrersponding shutter speed of 1/60s (flash speed) so as to get correct exposure. ?

between f1.8 to f5, i am getting a HI (over-exposed sign)

between f5.6 to f16, i am getting a shutter speed from 1/500s down to 1/60s, with a correct exposure sign

anything above f18, i am getting an under-expose sign ,

am i right to say that i can use any aperture between f5.6 ~ f16 and my pic will be correctly exposed ??
    (SB-600 set to TTL/BL and D70 flash mode set to TTL.)

why do u need exactly 1/60s? do note that aperture, shutter speed and iso together determines the exposure. if you change one, you got to change one of the other in order to maintain the same exposure.
    Last edited by mpenza; 26th June 2006 at 11:37 AM.

bro,

the preflash is fired almost at the same time when you press the shutter right? I think most ppl will not be able to tell when the preflash and actual flash takes place because they within split seconds, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Not really right. Showing the distance on the flash is separate from the ability for proper flash exposure.

Under ETTL, whether you tilt of not, the camera fires a pre-flash and "measures" this reflected pre-flash to determine the duration of main flash needed for proper flash exposure and fires off the main flash accordingly.

Under TTL (through the lens), whether you tilt or not, the camera "mesasures" the reflected flash through the lens to determine the proper flash exposure and cut off the flash accordingly.

bro,

the preflash is fired almost at the same time when you press the shutter right? I think most ppl will not be able to tell when the preflash and actual flash takes place because they within split seconds, is that right?
    yup. yup. Sometimes, the preflash may cause the subject to blink when the main flash fires though.

bro,

I can distinguish between pre-flash and real flash. Pre-flash is not a single burst. It is several bursts (looks like strobe), while the real flash is single burst (and, while not always, it is usually brighter). Yes, there is a delay between pre-flash and real flash.
    Also real flash is together with shutter release 'snap' sound. So if you look at viewfinder, when you press shutter release, you will see the pre-flash (and not the real flash) in the viewfinder.

Regards,
    Arto.

err... this is weird. On my system, I cant distinguish between preflash and manin flash (20D with 580ex). There is no several strobe of light when using the 580ex. If using the in-flash, there is several strobe of light but I thought that is only used to help the camera to acheive focusing?

Bro artosoft, what equipment are you using?

Question to all:

What is the purpose of pressing the "FEL" button when I thought ETTL will automatically fire a preflash for each shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    I can distinguish between pre-flash and real flash. Pre-flash is not a single burst. It is several bursts (looks like strobe), while the real flash is single burst (and, while not always, it is usually brighter). Yes, there is a delay between pre-flash and real flash.
    Also real flash is together with shutter release 'snap' sound. So if you look at viewfinder, when you press shutter release, you will see the pre-flash (and not the real flash) in the viewfinder.

Regards,
    Arto.

there is a diff in exposure between my SB-600 to iTTL & iTTL/BL mode, although the BL (Automatic Balanced) mode is suppose to automatically adjust the flash output power so to have a well balanced exposure of the main subject & bkgnd, but i noticed the pic seems to be a bit over-exposed when i used iTTL as compared to iTTL/BL mode on both centre-weighed & matrix metering mode, is this normal ??
    Last edited by enyu; 26th June 2006 at 08:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast