Thread: Full moon over river nile

Default Full moon over river nile

Last edited by wattky; 24th June 2006 at 11:16 PM.

Default Re: Full moon over river nile

i like the mood of the picture, i would think cropping away the right side to form a square frame might be good, though it'll take away much expanse of the space, i think it'll get rid of quite abit of loose space doing nothing on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i like the mood of the picture, i would think cropping away the right side to form a square frame might be good, though it'll take away much expanse of the space, i think it'll get rid of quite abit of loose space doing nothing on the right side.
    Thanx! Glad you like it. I'm still relatively new to the art of cropping. Is there any standard size to crop a photo? Especially if I'm going to develop it?

you can print any dimension, just that dimensions not comforming to the usual (4R, 5r, 6r ... ...) will mean that you'll need to have the image cut to size after printing. here's an example of the square crop i visualised

the main idea is to keep the relationship within the frame simple and remove excessive spaces to prevent viewers' eyes from wandering off your intended theme.

you can print any dimension, just that dimensions not comforming to the usual (4R, 5r, 6r ... ...) will mean that you'll need to have the image cut to size after printing. here's an example of the square crop i visualised

the main idea is to keep the relationship within the frame simple and remove excessive spaces to prevent viewers' eyes from wandering off your intended theme.
    Thanx for the tipoff!

Blog Entries

i agree with the pro

Another one taken during the night when the sun has fully set.

Last edited by wattky; 28th June 2006 at 03:43 PM.

2nd picture does not work for me at all. the blown moon and reflection are rather uninteresting subjects. if you're shooting digital, night scenes like this are best done with 2 exposures, 1 for the moon and another for the environment, and merge the 2 using editing software.

Oh ok hehehe coz when I took the 2nd photo, all I had in mind was the memories of some painted picture from some old school textbook of the same setting, moon reflection over a water surface. Btw, do u have any skills to impart on how to take moon photos? Like what settings to use? I only have a Panasonic FZ-10 to play with(still saving up for a DSLR ), will it be sufficient?

good exposure control for 1st pic. how did you meter it?

Quote Originally Posted by wattky
    Oh ok hehehe coz when I took the 2nd photo, all I had in mind was the memories of some painted picture from some old school textbook of the same setting, moon reflection over a water surface. Btw, do u have any skills to impart on how to take moon photos? Like what settings to use? I only have a Panasonic FZ-10 to play with(still saving up for a DSLR ), will it be sufficient?
    sorry for late reply, missed your second question. the method is mentioned in my previous reply

2nd picture does not work for me at all. the blown moon and reflection are rather uninteresting subjects. if you're shooting digital, night scenes like this are best done with 2 exposures, 1 for the moon and another for the environment, and merge the 2 using editing software.

Hi. I have a sample of exposure for moon here http://www.coolcat-designs.com/~lily/misc/Moon-3.htm

Quote Originally Posted by coolcat
    Hi. I have a sample of exposure for moon here http://www.coolcat-designs.com/~lily/misc/Moon-3.htm
    Thanx for the link coolcat! May I have your permission to use the moon photo to try out eikin's suggestions?
    Last edited by wattky; 30th June 2006 at 10:07 PM.

go ahead! let me know if you need one with larger image size

Quote Originally Posted by espion
    good exposure control for 1st pic. how did you meter it?
    Thanx espion, if I remember correctly (cause the photo was taken quite sometime back) I used spot metering and pointed somewhere near the trees over at the riverbank, exact point can't remember anyway, I was using my old Sony DSC-P71 when I took the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcat
    go ahead! let me know if you need one with larger image size

Tried following some steps in extracting the moon from a Photoshop CS book by Scott Kelby Hope its still acceptable?