Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a ~50mm focal length as main lens

Default Re: Using a ~50mm focal length as main lens

i recently bought a 28-200mm. the main reason i bought this is becos i wanted a power zoom that cover wide and tele as well. of cos, the best might be to buy the 18-200mm VR nikkor, but then, i no money so i settled for a much much much cheaper lens instead.

i wanted such a lens becos i didnt want to lose shots while changing lens. depending on if u really can work with jus 1 lens attached to ur camera at all time. i cant, cos i like to take wide sometimes, and sometimes, i will up the focal length to get the shallow depth of view effect. hence, change lens again and again was a hassle to me. also cost me some shots some times.

i havent perfect my 2 sec lens changing drill. haa haa
    D70s-er Since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    hi wai,

would like to ask you, you generate your $$ ( ) on ur 85/1.8 on a 1.6x body ah? and no other lens? would like to know if u use another wide angle?
    i am using 1.3x body, so sometimes still got to switch to 50mm because 85mm is too long. this 85mm will be really sweet on full frame

i do have 17-40L, 28-70L, 70-200L, but I still use my primes (50/1.4 and 85/1.8) as much as possible. I am not saying that the L lens are no good, zoom lens still necessary for those shots when you dont have the luxury of time for you to slowly adjust the composition.

think about it...my 70-200L is the most expensive lens that I have, but also hardly make any $$ for me....
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx
    i recently bought a 28-200mm. the main reason i bought this is becos i wanted a power zoom that cover wide and tele as well. of cos, the best might be to buy the 18-200mm VR nikkor, but then, i no money so i settled for a much much much cheaper lens instead.
    while super zoom like 28-200 are great when you are going for a long holiday trip, the aperture, AF, color and sharpness will suffer. That's why some pple carry 2 or more camera bodies, if you know what you are going to shoot at the first place, you will choose the most suitable lens to mount on your cam...having a super zoom like 28-200 isn't the best solution IMO.

anyway, i wouldnt recommend newbie to start off with super zoom. i feel that a smaller zoom range or fixed focal length is better and easier for them to learn the characteristic at different focal length
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

I'm just an amateur, and don't shoot for money, so don't know how relevant my experience is to you..

But anyway, I started in photography using film and prime lenses. After mucking about for 2 years, I feel that a 2 lens kit is actually quite usable whilst travelling or even events. Of course you need to be fast with your lens changing though...I find that it helps to anticipate what sort of shots you'll be likely to take in advance, so that the correct lens is already mounted on the camera, minimising the chance of missing the "perfect moment".

I prefer a 24/2.8 and 105/2.8 kit... eventhough I usually carry an additional 50/1.8, I find that most of the time, I use either the 24 or the 105, with only very few shots using the 50. Other viable alternatives which I've tried include 35/2 and 85/1.8 or 135/2.

One good thing about primes is that it really trains you to think hard about the composition; I find that my old pictures taken with my primes on film has much better composition than the ones I take now on digital with zooms... guess I've become a bit lazy with the handiness of a zoom lens and don't think as hard nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    while super zoom like 28-200 are great when you are going for a long holiday trip, the aperture, AF, color and sharpness will suffer. That's why some pple carry 2 or more camera bodies, if you know what you are going to shoot at the first place, you will choose the most suitable lens to mount on your cam...having a super zoom like 28-200 isn't the best solution IMO.

anyway, i wouldnt recommend newbie to start off with super zoom. i feel that a smaller zoom range or fixed focal length is better and easier for them to learn the characteristic at different focal length
    well, it would be tough to carry a few cameras around, especially on holiday. a power zoom definately would suffer in quality. it jus makes changing of lens a non-issue. havin a fixed lens might be ok if u set off to shoot only 1 thing in particular, but if u are going about to shoot a mixture of things, like during an event, a prime lens, imho, isnt really good.

i started with the 18-70mm. took alot of shots with that. i got myself a 28-200mm to get rid of the hassle of constantly having to change lens. i tried to take shots with my fren's 50mm prime... got frustrated by the fact that i have to keep changing lens... haa haa.... but of cos, the sharpness and quality is super good!
    D70s-er Since 2005

wow sorry wait did i misinterpret u?

you use ur prime all the while? care to share? e.g. pros/cons...while working.
    i use prime for canon, take times to get use to it, because you need to adjust the distance and change the lens if neccessary in the short time. Its fun to use because most of the primes that i have offer me a big f stop compare to the primes.
    ubans.com

I do use primes (100mm macro usm/200mm f2.8L) when I 'm shooting from a fixed location and the prime is sufficient to get the pics I need/want. But for times when I'm not sure of the locale or if I need the versatility, I'll use a zoom.

thanks guys for all the input. interesting to know what everyone uses most of the time, although I think generally super zoom is a not recommended for QC.

so for those who advocate 1 or 2 prime work during events, do you change lenses when the need arises? Let me say, full day wedding coverage. or do you carry 2 bodies?

2 body, 1 zoom and 1 prime use prime for low light and no flash
    ubans.com

i have another question for those using a 24-70 focal length on apsc or 1.3 and use it for working purposes.

does it inconvenience you greatly with the lack of true wideangle?

lets say u have a 24-70L or 28-70L but are using on a nonfullframe body...

hi there drumma thanks for the insight!

wud like to clarify wad u mean by standard lens? as in, you use your 35mm and have another 50mm by your side?

i dun have a 50mm with me. i'm using the 17-40 on a 1.6x crop factor body.

i have another question for those using a 24-70 focal length on apsc or 1.3 and use it for working purposes.

does it inconvenience you greatly with the lack of true wideangle?

lets say u have a 24-70L or 28-70L but are using on a nonfullframe body...

i've used the tamron 28-75 to cover events before. it was quite a pain to use. the focal length of a 1.6x is neither here nor there for me. then again, it works differently for individuals. just my POV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12