Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a ~50mm focal length as main lens

Default Using a ~50mm focal length as main lens

I just am curious to inquire all CSers..does anyone use only 1 or 2 primes for their work e.g. event photography/weddings? Just curious as I am considering its pros and cons.

care to share?

regards
    Douglas

Default Re: Using a ~50mm focal length as main lens

I do know the restrictions lah, but just wish to hear the experience of others who have always been doing it or have experience using a non-zoom for work.

hope its not a lame question...

e.g. 28mm prime on a apsc 1.6x body. which gives about 44.8mm actual focal length.

On my 10D, my 50mm is used for portraiture and macro. For my 28-300mm, it's used for all other photography.

But at the 28mm end on a 1.6x sensor, it's definitely not wide enough.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    On my 10D, my 50mm is used for portraiture and macro. For my 28-300mm, it's used for all other photography.

But at the 28mm end on a 1.6x sensor, it's definitely not wide enough.

Hi snoweagle thanks for the reply

its interesting the way u often post your views; u seem eager to advocate your gear- as if you're reassuring yourself..

regarding the wide issue, to differ from what u said i dont think wide is definitely necessary for events. its how you work around it.

so along the same line where people usually say that 50mm is a standard focal length, human eye vision blah blah.... I actually just want to know what its like using a ~45mm lens in the field..yup. because as i said, 28mm gives ~45mm on apsc.

regards
    Douglas
    Last edited by doug3fflux; 24th June 2006 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    I just am curious to inquire all CSers..does anyone use only 1 or 2 primes for their work e.g. event photography/weddings? Just curious as I am considering its pros and cons.

care to share?

regards
    Douglas
    its always attach to my cam everytime.... works like my camera cap.
    ubans.com

Quote Originally Posted by xl1
    that doesnt really answer the question. rather you dont post!

Quote Originally Posted by xl1
    wow sorry wait did i misinterpret u?

you use ur prime all the while? care to share? e.g. pros/cons...while working.

a 50mm will defintely hinder some shots. There will be cases when you need a wider angle and moving backwards is impossible due to constraint of the room size.

I take it tat you have worked with a 50mm comfortably before. But in my case, it's a good shooting tool, just that I have problems when I need wider angles when using my DSLR (1.5 x crop factor)

Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

care to share?

regards
    Douglas
    I guess 2 primes willl serve the job well. One wide one at say 16mm and one at 50mm.

With this two I think its up to the photographer's creativity.
    I feel if only one 50mm or one 16mm was used solely, it would take more creativity to create a nice set of pictures as the angles will be very similar.

Hope this thread doesnt get the unnecessary "rather you not post" reply or "u seem eager to advocate your gears" kind of reply as I feel they are very rude but maybe not to you.

80mm f1.8 + 1.3x FLM on the 1D MKII

sweet great for event at lowlight, product shots and portraits too
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

i would say that wide is a importance during an event if u intend to take group photos. imagine how far away u have to stand if u are to take a big group photo using a 50mm lens on a 1.5x crop factor DSLR? even on film, it would be far away.
    D70s-er Since 2005

i love primes man!! i've used a 35L side by side with a standard lens. the 35L gets me more keepers! the usefulness of primes is the big aperture, bokeh and fast speed u get in low light. this is one light sucking device i would say!

Hi snoweagle thanks for the reply

its interesting the way u often post your views; u seem eager to advocate your gear- as if you're reassuring yourself..

regarding the wide issue, to differ from what u said i dont think wide is definitely necessary for events. its how you work around it.

so along the same line where people usually say that 50mm is a standard focal length, human eye vision blah blah.... I actually just want to know what its like using a ~45mm lens in the field..yup. because as i said, 28mm gives ~45mm on apsc.

regards
    Douglas
    I'm proud of my gear. For events, a tele is more impt IMO, as for the 44.8mm thingy, i just treat it as a 'close-to-eye-view' concept.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx
    i would say that wide is a importance during an event if u intend to take group photos. imagine how far away u have to stand if u are to take a big group photo using a 50mm lens on a 1.5x crop factor DSLR? even on film, it would be far away.
    thanks for the informative post..

with regards to the group photo taking, thats my biggest concern during events if I was to use a 28mm on 1.6x. although i could cover the entire event, the ubiquitous group photo will be difficult..esp if its table-shot...so i suppose the most feasible is working with 2 primes? 1 providing ~20-24mm and 1 providing ~50mm....

Quote Originally Posted by drumma
    i love primes man!! i've used a 35L side by side with a standard lens. the 35L gets me more keepers! the usefulness of primes is the big aperture, bokeh and fast speed u get in low light. this is one light sucking device i would say!
    hi there drumma thanks for the insight!

wud like to clarify wad u mean by standard lens? as in, you use your 35mm and have another 50mm by your side?

As I'm so new to photography and can't afford much else I stick with my prime 50 (and a borrowed zoom).

Being limited to one lens has taught me more about myself and the shots I want to take.

I've decided to learn my craft first before I invest in any thing else (not to mention I can't afford any other lenses at the mo)!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for visiting my gallery:
    http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/d...sp?catID=11269

Quote Originally Posted by Manda
    As I'm so new to photography and can't afford much else I stick with my prime 50 (and a borrowed zoom).

Being limited to one lens has taught me more about myself and the shots I want to take.

I've decided to learn my craft first before I invest in any thing else (not to mention I can't afford any other lenses at the mo)!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for visiting my gallery:
    http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/d...sp?catID=11269

=) hi there! take it one step at a time lor...make full use of ur 50mm..wh knows..you might very well stick to building up a system of primes...! 20...28...35...50....85..100...200...300..400...=)

regards
    Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Manda

agree, u should find out what you really need and build up your collection slowly over time.

i also stuck with my 50/1.8 for half a year, and upgrade slowly one at a time, after I have fully utilised every equipment and learn their strength and weakness.

i love my 85/1.8, it is the cheapest lens that I have and it is already old and mouldy...but it is also the lens that make the most amount of $$ for me
    Last edited by Wai; 25th June 2006 at 11:15 AM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    agree, u should find out what you really need and build up your collection slowly over time.

i also stuck with my 50/1.8 for half a year, and upgrade slowly one at a time, after I have fully utilised every equipment and learn their strength and weakness.

i love my 85/1.8, it is the cheapest lens that I have and it is already old and mouldy...but it is also the lens that make the most amount of $$ for me
    hi wai,

would like to ask you, you generate your $$ ( ) on ur 85/1.8 on a 1.6x body ah? and no other lens? would like to know if u use another wide angle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast