Thread: Shot of Butterfly <---Newbie

Default Shot of Butterfly <---Newbie

Took out my D70s for shooting 1st time. Am a beginner in DSLR so hope to get some advise on people here All C&C welcome...especially my PS skills...also just started learning

Thanks for watching

Default Re: Shot of Butterfly <---Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by glay78

Took out my D70s for shooting 1st time. Am a beginner in DSLR so hope to get some advise on people here All C&C welcome...especially my PS skills...also just started learning

Thanks for watching

i think you have to color correct it...it's got a really green tinge :]

i think maybe a tighter crop would make the subject stand out more. i think the leaves on the right is quite redundant. nice color contrast here me thinks
    try to focus on the butterfly heads next time it seems more focused on the wings in this picture...
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by kirschrot
    i think you have to color correct it...it's got a really green tinge :]

Too green u mean?

Too green u mean?
    i think what he meant was white balance...

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein
    i think maybe a tighter crop would make the subject stand out more. i think the leaves on the right is quite redundant. nice color contrast here me thinks
    try to focus on the butterfly heads next time it seems more focused on the wings in this picture...

Thanks...will improves on the cropping in another try and the focusing too

i think what he meant was white balance...

I actually tweak the color to more greenie cos this way the leaves looks nicer. So I think its too much on green side then

Here another shot...more focus on the head with tighter crops. Is this what u mean?

Here another shot...more focus on the head with tighter crops. Is this what u mean?

sorry i didnt make myself too clear haha.
    what i meant was to crop the side(s). pls do not crop off the butterfly

i think ur main sugject here is ur butterfly, hence, dun try to make the leaves, in this case the background, look nicer.

not a very constructive comment, maybe somebody can help this guy better?

i wonder where have all the macro experts gone

anyway, good macro effort for first time. the angle is not unique and depth of focus a little insufficient. due to the angle of the butterfly the depth of focus you're using cannot put enough of the wings in focus to present a complete and clear image of the butterfly's form. that said it's not always the case that you need to put the entire subject in sharp focus, there will be times when you'll only want to focus on parts of the insect only, that'll depend on your personal sense of aesthetics. practise more, i'm sure you'll improve.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i wonder where have all the macro experts gone

anyway, good macro effort for first time. the angle is not unique and depth of focus a little insufficient. due to the angle of the butterfly the depth of focus you're using cannot put enough of the wings in focus to present a complete and clear image of the butterfly's form. that said it's not always the case that you need to put the entire subject in sharp focus, there will be times when you'll only want to focus on parts of the insect only, that'll depend on your personal sense of aesthetics. practise more, i'm sure you'll improve.
    Thanks for advice...was thinking maybe this isn't Macro enough so experts don't even know how to comment

Thanks for advice...was thinking maybe this isn't Macro enough so experts don't even know how to comment
    it is a macro shot. btw for butterflies, for a start you might want to try shoot direct side profile, this way the entire plane of the wings' surface get into focus more easily. it's really just lots of practise to improve technically, after that it's up to your imagination. do check out ortega's and tltan's macro shots too, i think they have some unique perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    it is a macro shot. btw for butterflies, for a start you might want to try shoot direct side profile, this way the entire plane of the wings' surface get into focus more easily. it's really just lots of practise to improve technically, after that it's up to your imagination. do check out ortega's and tltan's macro shots too, i think they have some unique perspectives.
    Really thanks alot for guidance...think there soo much more I gotta learn