Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap n good polarising filter?

Default Cheap n good polarising filter?

hey guys i'll be going on a trip to Nepal soon and realize i need a polarizing filter (circular). wats a good and cheap one and where can i get it?

and, i realized since day 1 my cam has always been fitted with a 58mm UV filter, why is there a need to filter out UV?
    Last edited by looonie; 24th June 2006 at 02:57 PM.

Default Re: Cheap n good polarising filter?

Quote Originally Posted by looonie
    hey guys i'll be going on a trip to Nepal soon and realize i need a polarizing filter (circular). wats a good and cheap one and where can i get it?

and, i realized since day 1 my cam has always been fitted with a 58mm UV filter, why is there a need to filter out UV?
    Chap and good doesn't mix . Ok, joking only. Try hoya. It is quite ok. If you want the best, get Nikon or B+W one. But price also a lot different.

Your UV filter is for protection of the lens' front element. UV in Digital Camera (ie.: dSLR) is not as bad as in film camera (ie.: SLR).

Regards,
    Arto.

i went to alan photo yesterday, the guy say 58mm Hoya polarising is $70+, wahh. the cheapest one they have is vitacon. $40+. got $20-30 one? else i go buy 2nd hand liao

go pasar malam, buy sunglass that's bigger than your lens diameter.

hehe... Seriously, try hoya.... i think the boxes with the green label should be the "entry" level for CPLs... not sure of the price here, but a 77mm CPL (greenboxed) costs around 35$usd.

=)

i went to alan photo yesterday, the guy say 58mm Hoya polarising is $70+, wahh. the cheapest one they have is vitacon. $40+. got $20-30 one? else i go buy 2nd hand liao
    try CP at marina, I bought Tokina CPL @ 30 for 72mm n 25 for 62mm, lowest so far but i bought a tripod then. they may sell u at +5 more..not too sure.

or go check with digi point at suntec they selling marumi (mc some more) CPL for @$30 (55mm)

Wow..... 58mm Hoya polarising for $70? it is expensive. I don't think I paid that expensive for it. Maybe you should go to John 3:16 next time before deciding buy from Alan Photo.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdam
    try CP at marina, I bought Tokina CPL @ 30 for 72mm n 25 for 62mm, lowest so far but i bought a tripod then. they may sell u at +5 more..not too sure.

or go check with digi point at suntec they selling marumi (mc some more) CPL for @$30 (55mm)
    wats CP? and wats MC? i know CPL is circular polarizing filter. yknow, all these terms police NS ppl sure know

wats CP? and wats MC? i know CPL is circular polarizing filter. yknow, all these terms police NS ppl sure know
    CP - Cathay photo
    mc - multi coated

Deregistered

Buy Orginal for best quality ....

www.fotodiox.com

i just bought their CPL. not as well built as the hoyas, but much cheaper

wow $70, did they give you the slim type? a normal hoya CPL (58mm) sld cost sumwhere like $40. i tink tokina offer cheaper one tho hoya one are made by tokina as well but i think hoya applied their own coating on it. not sure how the coating affact the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1
    filter got fake one?

anyway i didnt even look at the hoya filter cos i was already turned off by the price. thanks guys for the tips

Vitacon also original...
    Hoya also original...
    Nikon also original...
    B+W also original...
    Marumi also original...

Which one is not original? Care to tell us?

Regards,
    Arto.

filter got fake one?

anyway i didnt even look at the hoya filter cos i was already turned off by the price. thanks guys for the tips
    can try asking other shop... hoya filters were known to be one of the cheaper type. not the cheapest but the price is really low compared to B+W or nikon

Want cheap, want fresh, want big milk? There is no such thing. If anything is good, it will not be cheap. That's economics 101. To make something good means it's better than the rest of the market, so it will be priced accordingly.

I think what you are asking is for something that provides decent performance at reasonable price. However, what's "decent" and what's "reasonable" depends very much on the person buying it.

The difference between an excellent polarizer and a decent one may be $50 or so. Why settle for 2nd best, when a trip to Nepal is the chance of a lifetime? Further, if you don't damage it, an excellent polarizer will last longer and have better resale value.

Last edited by waileong; 26th June 2006 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    Want cheap, want fresh, want big milk? There is no such thing. If anything is good, it will not be cheap. That's economics 101. To make something good means it's better than the rest of the market, so it will be priced accordingly.

I think what you are asking is for something that provides decent performance at reasonable price. However, what's "decent" and what's "reasonable" depends very much on the person buying it.

The difference between an excellent polarizer and a decent one may be $50 or so. Why settle for 2nd best, when a trip to Nepal is the chance of a lifetime? Further, if you don't damage it, an excellent polarizer will last longer and have better resale value.
    since u paid so much to go nepal, might as well pay a little more for a filter to last u a long time
    Photo Album - Photo Album

haha, but i dont have the budget yoh. i just now got quoted $43 for Hoya, $35 for Tokina. i dont think i wanna pay for anything more than $50. how much would a filter that lasts me a lifetime cost? are there any sites that review polarizing filter i wanna see for myself the difference.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Vitacon also original...
    Hoya also original...
    Nikon also original...
    B+W also original...
    Marumi also original...

Which one is not original? Care to tell us?

Regards,
    Arto.
    Can the one same as the camera brand i mean...if its available...

eat. drink. shoot

Can the one same as the camera brand i mean...if its available...
    Ya.. ya...

Remember, using 3rd party products will void your warranty .

Regards,
    Arto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast