Thread: Question about burning vcd or dvd

Default Question about burning vcd or dvd

Hi guys,

anyone of you has answer for some of my doubts? I have tried to search through internet but it seems it is a bit difficult to get the answer.

cd or vcd is known to have 700MB size, and DVD-5 is known to have 4.7G, DVD-9 is 8.5G.

But then am i right to say, vcd is normally like 50min video, and DVD-5 is 3 hr video..and DVD-9??

I used to interpret the disk size = how many video disk can store but it seems incorrect.

Let's say i have a 600MB clip downloaded from internet, be it div-x or xdiv or mpeg format.. i want to burn it by application like Nero, so i can view it on tv through dvd player. But when I process that clip throught 'Nero' like 'burn as dvd', even the file size is 600MB, it will occupy like 2-3G or the dvd content.. and I come to think of I can't interpret the video size and disk size in same way.. and i notice there is long play, extended play..mode on disk size, means u can store longer hour video, but will quality drop?

and how I know whether a video clip should be stored in vcd or dvd? with origininal video picture quality? how we decide a picture quality, bitrate?

Hope someone out there give me some clues. thank you!!

Default Re: Question about burning vcd or dvd

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi guys,

anyone of you has answer for some of my doubts? I have tried to search through internet but it seems it is a bit difficult to get the answer.

cd or vcd is known to have 700MB size, and DVD-5 is known to have 4.7G, DVD-9 is 8.5G.

But then am i right to say, vcd is normally like 50min video, and DVD-5 is 3 hr video..and DVD-9??

I used to interpret the disk size = how many video disk can store but it seems incorrect.

Let's say i have a 600MB clip downloaded from internet, be it div-x or xdiv or mpeg format.. i want to burn it by application like Nero, so i can view it on tv through dvd player. But when I process that clip throught 'Nero' like 'burn as dvd', even the file size is 600MB, it will occupy like 2-3G or the dvd content.. and I come to think of I can't interpret the video size and disk size in same way.. and i notice there is long play, extended play..mode on disk size, means u can store longer hour video, but will quality drop?

and how I know whether a video clip should be stored in vcd or dvd? with origininal video picture quality? how we decide a picture quality, bitrate?

I think you can get most of the answer here http://www.videohelp.com.

i actually have read a lot in this videohelp.com website. but i can't find the answer.

anyone can have a comment? when we downloaded a clip, will the picture quality differs when we burn it into vcd and dvd? how we decide that clip should burn into vcd or dvd?

intuitively, 600mb quality will be at best of '600mb quality'. Hence 50mins into a 700VCD shldn't degrade it. Nor DVD5 or DVD9, unless set to some long play where the DVD can play eg 4hrs.

Hence VCD is fine! cheaper!

but why if i burn that 600M video to dvd, it takes up more than 600M space?

how about divx or Xdiv video format? if i burn them to vcd, will the video quality suffers?

thanks.

i'd guess normal DVD is 2hrs, 4.7G 1HR = 2G+. hence for 50min video...shld be around 2hr as well.

similar analogy would be std mp3 5mb ~4mins, when burnt into audio CD, it becomes ~50mb!!

Blog Entries

you can burn it using different quality settings, hence the difference in size (MB)

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi guys,

Hrm... what is the format of the downloaded clip? ISO? AVI? MPG? Nero probably converted your clip to mpeg-2 format, hence the change in file size.

Not too sure tho, noob in this area too.

VCD is mpeg 1. DVD & SVCD picture format is mpeg2. The audio is considered a separate. Nero will recode to whatever bps rate it feels like. So it's like the data is streamed from the media to the player. The higher the bit rate, the better the visual quality. So in a sense you can encode however long the video file you want to fit onto a DVD, as long as you're not too particular about the encoding quality. Some hardware players cannot handle more than 9Mbps of data though. The xvid, divx files, though will need to be converted to mpeg2 files before being dumped onto the DVD, and there's a chance that the audio sync will not be accurate after that.

There is a freeware DVD authoring suite DVDstyler that you might like to try, in which case just convert everything to mpeg2, author and burn into a menu driven dvd.

so in order to make decision to burn as a vcd or dvd, how to decide? check the video quality bitrate?

and it seems dvd has option like long play, extended play..blah that make dvd able to play for more than 2hrs for a normal 4.7G dvd-5..those settings will degrade video quality?