Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Remains of the Day

  1. #1

    Default Remains of the Day

    I was looking through the slides from the other day at Changi V and I found this one too that I shot while waiting for the sun to set. I preferred this to the other one I posted under the landscape forum though that was the one I originally set out to shoot. What do you guys think? CnC appreciated.

    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Remains of the Day

    i like the sense of calm in the shot. i would have liked to see more detail in the clouds, and also less of a bluish tint to the photo.

    e.g.


    finally, the inclusion of a strong focal point IMHO (e.g. a fisherman or boat in the foreground) would give the photo greater impact.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,218

    Default Re: Remains of the Day

    I like the blue... it brings out the moody feeling. I also like is because of the contrast and the brightness. Like zaren, more details for the cloud would be better. However, I think zaren had made the photo a little too moody for my liking...
    Just me...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Remains of the Day

    Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    I like the blue... it brings out the moody feeling. I also like is because of the contrast and the brightness. Like zaren, more details for the cloud would be better. However, I think zaren had made the photo a little too moody for my liking...
    guess ur right....just a selective dodging of the clouds would be sufficient, but i was lazy and dodged the whole pic.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,218

    Default Re: Remains of the Day

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    guess ur right....just a selective dodging of the clouds would be sufficient, but i was lazy and dodged the whole pic.
    Don't be lazy lah...

    How about something like this?


    Stoned, do let me know you want me to remove this edited version...
    Just me...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default using PP to bring out the mood

    hi Stone, just want to use your post to illustrate how a little more PP might bring the picture closer to what you had in mind



    we all know how limited the sensor range is for digital cameras, i picked up the slight magenta from your picture and did a quick pp to add more warm tones (orange actually) into the picture to 'give back' some colours to the scene. sometimes other than adjusting contrasts and curves, tweaking colours might be beneficial too.

    everyone's having fun with PS

  7. #7

    Default Re: Remains of the Day

    Wow i thought this thread had died without a peep.

    Thanks for all your renditions.

    Zaren --> I do have an image with a fisherman in the foreground but the background is quite different. Nothing to shout about because of the horrendous lack of detail. Here it is anyway. I had different things that I wanted from different images over the course of the 1hr ++ i was parked there, but not an image where it all came together.




    Eikin --> The image was captured on film. The original is actually closer to purple-blue than magenta, but thanks for your rendition.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Remains of the Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Wow i thought this thread had died without a peep.

    Thanks for all your renditions.

    Zaren --> I do have an image with a fisherman in the foreground but the background is quite different. Nothing to shout about because of the horrendous lack of detail. Here it is anyway. I had different things that I wanted from different images over the course of the 1hr ++ i was parked there, but not an image where it all came together.




    Eikin --> The image was captured on film. The original is actually closer to purple-blue than magenta, but thanks for your rendition.
    i see! paiseh missed out the slide part
    Last edited by eikin; 7th July 2006 at 08:20 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Remains of the Day

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i see! paiseh missed out the slide part
    The original slide did have more dynamic range though. I used a cheap flatbed to just scan the images for sharing so the shadow detail got lost in many parts of the image.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •