Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital Darkroom Desktop System advise

Default Re: Digital Darkroom Desktop System advise

maybe can try out RAID on a motherboard that supports hardware RAID before plunging into getting a RAID controller...like nForce 4 based boards...see if the added performance if needed, whether you need the security of RAID 1 or security and speed but at higher cost of RAID5...
    Last edited by theRBK; 6th July 2006 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    maybe can try out RAID on a motherboard that supports hardware RAID before plunging into getting a RAID controller...like nForce 4 based boards...see if the added performance if needed, whether you need the security of RAID 1 or security and speed but at higher cost of RAID5...
    LOL. NO CONSUMER Motherboards and built in hardware raid. Not even most prosumer boards... Most run hostraid ( software ) raid!.

sorry, donno about the nVidia RAID controller, but I thought the Silicon Image SiI3114 SATA RAID controller on my nforce4 mother board is a hardware RAID controller...
    Last edited by theRBK; 6th July 2006 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    sorry, donno about the nVidia RAID controller, but I thought the Silicon Image SiI3114 SATA RAID controller on my nforce4 mother board is a hardware RAID controller...
    Those are 'firmware' RAIDs.. Raid at non-OS/ Software level but no dedicated hardware processor (whether integrated into the chipset or otherwise) to perform parity ops.

had to wade through their website to find out that it should technically be called a SATA controller that supports their version of RAID...still, its a first step for people who want to try out RAID without buying a hardware controller...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123