Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Darkroom Desktop System advise

Default Re: Digital Darkroom Desktop System advise

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    RAM just adds on the abliity to open more files at one go, it does help with larger files like those from D2X at 12.4mp. It will hit a ceiling though, I believe.

XP only supports up to 4GB IIRC.
    espn: XP home and XP pro no diff in supporting max RAM? paiseh arh... my knowledge very limited.

... but notebook RAM is not cheap I think i "tahan" a little bit longer hopefully price go down further during year end.

Here's some read for memory allocation:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html

Hope its of some use.

SonixLooing at your budget and purpose I feel that a 20 incher is not really necessary if you were able to do your di on a laptop aka max 17inch screen means if your get a 17 wide screen lcd it would be workable. Sure its nice to see big big if you must then you need to find more money.I would also suggest getting from HP, Dell and get an extended warranty a 3 year parts and service one would be good - after all its a fair guess that by 3 years would have upgraded the camera and would find the current system lacking in power.I would go for dual core and aviod AMD call it be careful but market leader is Intel and Adobe knows it so its darn sure they will make sure their software runs well on that platform. Look for a graphics card that has at least 256mb dedicated video memeory, better 512mb - I see a trend form CS1 to CS2 the need for video ram is growing.Go for 2 hard disk - 250gig x 2 sounds like a good place to go if not a 160 and a 250. Custom build sounds nice but most warranty is a year and a hasssle since you have to bring the computer in. Cost saving may not there so strongly anymore. What you need is stabilty.

ellery, you sure have lots of good point too.

I will balance it and find which one fits me best. Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by sonix
    Hi all,

Oh yes, I want to get a new desktop which will help me speed up my photo processing. I gave up on laptop liao

Have a few questions in mind, I'm really behind the technology now. Look at Fuwell list price really make like a dumb man. So many thing that I dont understand. Tried to read up hardwarezone.com for some review too but really too much info. Seems like the review are all crazy for 3D rendering and stuff.... which i hope should not matter in processing photo in CS2.

I have only budget of $2,5k (with good monitor, probably the viewsonic that clubsnap MO, the 20 inch wide). I want to optimize the spending purely for my digital darkroom work purpose (I'm do NOT play game so help me in saving $$

1. Graphics card. Necessary to spend the high end one? Looks like some are design for gaming and i don't think i need it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Thinking to get the AMD processor 4400 type, again mother board I have no clue to choose which one. or Should i go for intel dual core?

3. RAM. i do search in forum, seems like playing important part. so thinking maybe 2 GB for it. My friend told me AMD system only take DDR type.. any diff with DDR2 one?

I think that's my main doubt so far, the rest I think i can make decision myself if any input it will great also, especially the one i should avoid.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers
    I seriously recommend that you wait till the end of July. The new Intel processors (codenamed Conroe; To be sold as Core 2 Duo) are very very promising. If you really can't wait, get the Intel 930 Dual-core. Spend another $60 - $70 for a good, quiet cooler and you can easily overclock the CPU to 4.3GHz (up from 3.0GHz). For this, I recommend the Scythe Ninja or Zalman CNPS-9500 or ThermalTake Blue-Orb II or ThermalTake Mini-Typhoon.

For rams, get at least 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2-667 Valuerams. Photoshop is, if anything, memory bandwidth hungry. It also benefits greatly from high Processor Side Bus (hence overclocking can reap a lot of benefits). I recommend the 1GB Patriot DDR2-667 sticks. The distributor (Convergent) has a very good RMA policy.

For the graphics card, the benefit you get from a decent card is the re-draw when you work with multiple and/ or large images. I can off-hand recommend at least a FX6600 512MB DDR2 or ATI X1600Pro 512MB DDR2. They will accomodate re-draws of image files up to 2GB+ (fine compression jpeg) easily and will only set you back about $240. Fuwell has the PowerColor Radeon X1600Pro 512MB.

256MB of video memory is about as low as I would recommend if you work with many (20 to 30) 8MP - 12MP files at a go. Avoid those cards with TurboCache or HyperMemory at all costs (FX6600LE, FX6200TC/ LE, Radeon X300 HyperCache etc).

Last but not least, spend some dough on a Eye 1 Display 2 or Monaco Optix Xrite.
    Last edited by Firefox; 30th June 2006 at 01:37 AM.

Firefox, Thanks for your detailed advise.

I'm probably can't afford the high end one, but if they release new one hopefully lower end price will drop a bit

According to many online documents, GFX card has little to do with PS performance.DO a search ist. You probably can use a lower end version.
    Last edited by firestone; 30th June 2006 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    According to many online documents, GFX card has little to do with PS performance.DO a search ist. You probably can use a lower end version.
    It has little to do with PS performance but it affects the speed at which images are re-drawn on the screen.

Ever seen how much time it takes for a card with 128MB of vram to draw out a 2GB jpg file on-screen?

Quote Originally Posted by zyle
    what i read from KRW site, photoshop only uses maximum of 3GB of ram.. if you have less ram, you should have a good HD too for scratch disk.. or maybe i could be wrong..

u r right. CS2 only uses up to 3.5gb RAM, any more will be wasteful.
    right abt the scratch disk too. get a 7200rpm and dedicate it as scratchdisk.
    web | blog | fb | ig

anyway, there will be a price drop on intel processors in mid/late july.
    significant drop for p4, and a smaller drop for the new dualcores.
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    ... draw out a 2GB jpg file on-screen?
    Wah Firefox, just curious why u having a 2GB jpg?
    What u use for?Thks

Wah Firefox, just curious why u having a 2GB jpg?
    What u use for?Thks
    I do some systems integration work and along with other friends as well.. So happened that we needed to get a new workstation for a client who does extremely large prints (hence the file-size).
    First mistake was believing that PS CS2 can really work with 128MB of VRAM. Well, it does... It just takes forever to redraw the picture files they used for prints.

..to get a new workstation for a client who does extremely large prints (hence the file-size).
    But 2GB jpg? Can reveal what size he prints?Thks

I do some systems integration work and along with other friends as well.. So happened that we needed to get a new workstation for a client who does extremely large prints (hence the file-size).
    First mistake was believing that PS CS2 can really work with 128MB of VRAM. Well, it does... It just takes forever to redraw the picture files they used for prints.
    pardon me but what does video RAM got to do with photoshop which are basically 2D app? to draw 1600x1200@32bit, system needs about 8MB of video RAM, thats all. if i'm not wrong, these huge video RAM size are for 3D purposes.

Adobe did suggest >128MB of VRAM but they didnt explain why and thats 1 out of 10 possible solution; on the other Adobe FAQ, it clearly said:

Adjusting the Image Cache

Photoshop uses image caching to redraw high-resolution images faster. With image caching, Photoshop uses low-resolution versions of an image to quickly update the image on-screen as you work. To enable the Image Cache option, specify the number (1 to 8) of low-resolution versions you want Photoshop to store (cache). The more versions of an image you have Photoshop cache, however, the slower it opens image files. In Photoshop, the default Image Cache setting is 6. Setting the Image Cache option to 1 disables image caching; only the current screen image is cached. Setting the Image Cache higher than 4 improves the performance when working on larger images by redrawing them faster. If you have performance issues in Photoshop CS2, set the Image Cache to 2, then test your performance.
    as for your 2GB JPEG, is it 2GB JPEG or its original uncompressed filesize is 2GB?

please correct me if i am wrong, cause i never know graphic card RAM will affect photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtlim
    pardon me but what does video RAM got to do with photoshop which are basically 2D app? to draw 1600x1200@32bit, system needs about 8MB of video RAM, thats all. if i'm not wrong, these huge video RAM size are for 3D purposes.

Adobe did suggest >128MB of VRAM but they didnt explain why and thats 1 out of 10 possible solution; on the other Adobe FAQ, it clearly said:

as for your 2GB JPEG, is it 2GB JPEG or its original uncompressed filesize is 2GB?

please correct me if i am wrong, cause i never know graphic card RAM will affect photoshop.
    Your guess is as good as mine. But it does affect the rate of re-draw on screen (from experience) for whatever reason.

Another good candidate for a sticky thread?

just used a MacbookPro for DI last friday...don't ask why ...but anyway, I'll say that it felt slower than a P4 2.8...and much slower than G5s...

for the TS's budget, a good AMD system, like with the Athlon 64 X2 4400 the TS suggested, would be good...at that price range, AMD and Intel chips don't have much diff in performance for PS, and the AMD runs cooler and consumes less power...

might be good to wait a month or two if not in a hurry, as some have suggested, cause both Intel and AMD are introducing new chips...even if you don't get those, the current lineup will go down in price...

rinaldi86 has suggestion is good to start off with, although I would substitute the 4400 for the 3800 processor and get cheaper ValueRAM instead of TwinX...TwinX should help with gaming, but for PS not really necessary...can try for 4GB of RAM in view of Vista coming out early next year...but don't think anyone in the near future would need 16GB of RAM for PS...cause PS only uses up to 3.5GB at the moment...of course, with CS3 coming out 2Q of next year, 64bit processors and natively 64bit operating systems...who knows...

as for videocards, I use a 6600GT with 128MB of RAM from Leadtek and it has served me well...maybe its cause its uses fast VDDR3...video RAM are not born equal...but then again for my work comp, I use a humble 9600 and that has served me ok as well...I would emphasise CPU and RAM rather than videocard...

Your guess is as good as mine. But it does affect the rate of re-draw on screen (from experience) for whatever reason.
    personally, i never have any problem running huge image file on graphic card with less than 128MB of video RAM. either on Matrox G400 32MB, Radeon64 64MB or Ti4200 64MB, System tested have a mere 512MB of RAM. the tested file was downloaded from NASA, resolution 21600 x 21600, 1.3GB uncompressed.

But 2GB jpg? Can reveal what size he prints?Thks
    If you need a real Gigabyte size JPEG file in its compressed filesize, see this, at 86400x43200 with true color, it exceed 10GB in uncompressed filesize and 1.1GB with ~10:1--Max quality JPEG compression. or this, 40784 x 26800 = 3GB.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtlim
    personally, i never have any problem running huge image file on graphic card with less than 128MB of video RAM. either on Matrox G400 32MB, Radeon64 64MB or Ti4200 64MB, System tested have a mere 512MB of RAM. the tested file was downloaded from NASA, resolution 21600 x 21600, 1.3GB uncompressed.
    Maybe I'm just impatient but I find it extremely annoying when the re-draws take quite some time. It's not when the filters are processing but simply re-sizing the window in PS can take 2 - 3 seconds for even a few 10MP images. It was faster on my Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 256MB of ram than on my Ti4600 w/ 128MB of ram but for gaming, the Ti4600 proves faster with simple brute force.

Thanks guys for valuable input. THing getting interesting.

I can wait 1-2 months before order my new system. I think I will listen to you guys' advice.

I was also reading up some RAID article, hopefully the following link is useful for some
    http://www.naturescapes.net/032004/jp0304.htm

Quote Originally Posted by sonix
    Thanks guys for valuable input. THing getting interesting.

I can wait 1-2 months before order my new system. I think I will listen to you guys' advice.

I was also reading up some RAID article, hopefully the following link is useful for some
    http://www.naturescapes.net/032004/jp0304.htm
    If you're really interested, do contact tmfwy to get a 3Ware Escalade SATA raid controller. They are one of, if not, the best SATA raid controllers around. The pricing you see at shops in SLS are way too high, usually above the MSRP for the product. It's better to buy from the local Distro through people who deal with them directly.
    Forget Adaptec, their HostRaid has been going downhill over the recent years.
    Last edited by Firefox; 6th July 2006 at 02:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast