Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in Winter

Default Shooting in Winter

what are some of the thigns i should take note of while shooting in winter? i'l be going to aussie next week. is there some things i shouhld do to protect the camera/lenses. i mean not to the extent of not bringing it and shooting but like what precautions and things to take note of, 'must' bring things etc.

Default Re: Shooting in Winter

more batteries. they die faster in cold weather.

A few good batteries, water proof camera bag, warm clothing .....

i shouldn't change my lens outdoors due to the high moisture levels am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by vii_haven
    IMHO: No problem, unless it is bad foggie (water and electronics doesn't mix).

You should not change your lens outdoor due to high levels of dust.

Regards,
    Arto.

I think it is dry outdoor. Anyway, avoid placing it next to a heater after outdoor shooting.

Aussie winters aint that bad ... mostly dry (depending on where) and cold wind, but no snow unless at ski mountains ...

Bring:
    - extra batteries
    - car chargers if you are driving around
    - portable storage (eg CompactDrive)
    - a small PnS camera for those minimal eqpt trips

what are some of the thigns i should take note of while shooting in winter? i'l be going to aussie next week. is there some things i shouhld do to protect the camera/lenses. i mean not to the extent of not bringing it and shooting but like what precautions and things to take note of, 'must' bring things etc.

Winter in Australia is nothing. The temp. will not go below 10 deg. unless up on the mountain. I brought my 300D up on the mountain top of Yongpyong skii resort in Korea in winter where outside temp. is -20 deg. and good thing is my 300D survive.

But, having said that, do be careful of indoor condensation where heaters are turned on to keep the cold out.

So, to summarise, it is not the cold that the dcam/dlsr concern but the condensation that you have to watch out for.

Yes. the battery life does shortern in cold temp. so do bring some cloth to warm them when not in use.

Just to share my experience here.

To avoid lens fogging due to condensation, try to keep the lens in the bag for at least few hours ( depends on indoor and outdoor temperature ) when you are back from shooting or go in a warmer place. This will allow the lens to adapt to warmer temperature slowly.
    Last edited by KayPunk; 21st June 2006 at 09:57 AM.

Just a correction on the Winter temp. in Australia where someone physically experienced in Perth where temp. in the early morning is -3 deg. But, anyhow, I am just making comparison bet. winter in Australia and harsh winter in Korea.

Beside things to bring and avoid, you have to note that the senery through you viewfinder look grey/pale that may give false metering. So remember to compensate 2 stops. See below threads that were discussed before.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=168070
    Last edited by Steplim; 21st June 2006 at 10:57 AM.

Remember to bring some heat packs. Becareful when extending your tripod and all moving parts as they may crack under very cold and dry conditions.
    Try to keep your batteries close to you as warm as possible.

1 thing that i hate when shooting in winter is wearing gloves... real difficult to shoot.... so what I did was to get a mitten/gloves.... those types of gloves that exposes your fingers and with a flip of a cover it becomes a mitten... identical to whats shown on the link:

http://www.gloves-online.com/mittens.htm

Will it be cold enough to require gloves? the temp is about 10degrees celsius.

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    1 thing that i hate when shooting in winter is wearing gloves... real difficult to shoot.... so what I did was to get a mitten/gloves.... those types of gloves that exposes your fingers and with a flip of a cover it becomes a mitten... identical to whats shown on the link:

http://www.gloves-online.com/mittens.htm

That depends very much on your own personal tolerance to cold. I suspect you would be wishing for some after the wind blows a few time...

And as the rest has said, the biggest problem is condesation... especially when you exit a warm heated car and go out into the cold.

What are some of the thigns i should take note of while shooting in winter?

1. Camera shake. Esp when the wind blows and it's so cold!
    2. Blue cast-- use a 81B filter or fix in PS.
    3. Low light-- get an IS lens if possible. Or use a tripod. But problem is, subjects move.
    4. Snow-- if it happens-- can result in snowflakes on your camera. These can melt quickly and get into your camera or lenses if you're not careful.

10 degrees is nothing, perfectly fine weather in the daytime. However, 10 degrees at night when the wind blows can be very uncomfortable if you don't have gloves.

A few years back while on Business trip in Germany and Asterdam, I shot on film and the whole roll (for Holland shots)was blank. Think my shutter jammed in the cold weather. Luckily my friends who is using P&S got a few shots of me, otherwise a trip without any photos liao. Temp was only around 3 DegC as it was early spring. Lost all the beautiful Tulips shots in Holland.

My SLR was too big to keep inside my Jacket while my friends can easily keep theirs in their pockets to keep warm.

My advise would be shoot Digital so that at least you will know if the shots are recorded.

Happy Holidays

10 degC no need gloves. At least, you can shoot without gloves comfortably. But if the temperature is below zero, a good pair of gloves is ESSENTIAL. Make sure you are comfortable in operating your camera with the gloves on. My gloves was too big for my hands which makes hold the camera real tough. In the end I have to remove my gloves under -10 to -20 deg C.... which is not very fun.

also, i'm only thinking of bringing my 10-22mm and my 50mm on the trip and a slik 330dx. do you think it's sufficient? was thinking of bringing a friend's 75-300 (for shots inside the sydney superdome - i'm going for hillsongs conference) too. should i? cuz i wanna travel light. and i have a 24-85 too. is the 10-22 and the 50 sufficient for my needs?

Back from Melboune 2 weeks ago. Temp is around 6deg in the morning and lower in the night.
    Day is around 10deg. Not comfortable to shoot in gloves. Just tuck your hands in your pocket when not shooting.
    I brought a 70-200 but hardly use it. Shooting on wide most of the time.
    For Sydney and Melbourne (not sure about others), city is nice for night shoot. Bring a light tripod, cause there's nothing much to do at night, but it's cold out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    I think it is dry outdoor. Anyway, avoid placing it next to a heater after outdoor shooting.
    Aust is dry (not humid compare to Spore) so you can change anytime outdoor (no raining)
    Bring extra littium batt for your camera and AA batt for your flash
    You can go to http://weather.ninemsn.com.au/weather/ to check for the forecast
    I just came back from Melbourne-Sydney two days ago.

Take note on power pin for your batt chargers as you may need to buy converter.

Weather is alright but I hate when it is so windy (can make your bone "crackiiiing")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast