Thread: How to light your subject with flashlight yet maintain the ambience lighting?

Default How to light your subject with flashlight yet maintain the ambience lighting?

I am still quit unfamiliar with the lighting technique. I need some guidience as to get a balance between the flash lighting and ambience lighting. I am currently using 580ex flash and most of the time i am using manual mode setting. I love the lighting my 580ex give but sometimes the ambience lighting is lost, is there a technique to control or balance it?

Default Re: How to light your subject with flashlight yet maintain the ambience lighting?

Mkae sure the camera body in in manual mode and set a slower shutter speed and slightly wider aperature. Check the matchneedle such that it dosent fall below -2ev or sth. If the shutter speed does not exceed the reciprocal law limit then it slhoud be fine. Also you might want to try using second curtain sync...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Default Re: How to light your subject with flashlight yet maintain the ambience lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    I am still quit unfamiliar with the lighting technique. I need some guidience as to get a balance between the flash lighting and ambience lighting. I am currently using 580ex flash and most of the time i am using manual mode setting. I love the lighting my 580ex give but sometimes the ambience lighting is lost, is there a technique to control or balance it?
    I am not familiar with Canon system (I am using Nikon), but generally should be the similar.

AFAIK, it is called fill-in flash. Set your flash's mode to TTL or eTTL (Nikon is iTTL). Set the flash -0.5 to -2 stops under-exposure (depends on your like). Set it on your flash (in Nikon system, we can set on the body or on flash for flash under/over exposure).
    If you set camera to Manual Mode, set your aperture and shutter speed for correct exposure. Remember, the shutter speed should not over sync speed. Usually if you mount flash on camera, it will not allow shutter speed over sync speed.

Hope that help .

Regards,
    Arto.

Smile Re: How to light your subject with flashlight yet maintain the ambience lighting?

i am not a canon user. nevertheless, the principle is the same across all brands.

take ambience reading using your camera's or handheld meter. eg. f8 at 1/60sec. set your flash output to this setting, taking into account the distance of your subject from camera.

with the above, both ambience and flash should be balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i am not a canon user. nevertheless, the principle is the same across all brands.

take ambience reading using your camera's or handheld meter. eg. f8 at 1/60sec. set your flash output to this setting, taking into account the distance of your subject from camera.

with the above, both ambience and flash should be balanced.
    Do you think i can use aperture piority then place -2 on the flashlight? or only manual mode?

Do you think i can use aperture piority then place -2 on the flashlight? or only manual mode?
    You can do that also. The camera will set shutter speed accordingly. But, be carefull if the shutter speed is above flash's sync speed. In Nikon, shutter speed will stop at flash's sync speed and camera will give overexposure warning.

I prefer -0.5 to -1 stop underexposure on flash. But again, it is your preferences. Try and see the result .

Regards,
    Arto.

which light is your main light?
    If the flash is your main light, underexposed 2 stops, what will happen?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

This article should be able to help you.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

This article from Popular Photography and Imaging (Sep 2003) explains in detail how fill flash is done with Canon EOS System.

Acrobat Reader is required to open this file.

Smile Re: How to light your subject with flashlight yet maintain the ambience lighting?

if i were you, i would use manual mode.