Thread: Crash course for taking animal photography

Default Crash course for taking animal photography

Hello, i am total new to photography and doesnt know when should i adjust my shuttle or aperture to suit the environment. i have just bought my first digital camera panasonic fz7. i will be going to the zoo next week in the morning, so could anyone give me some advice on taking animal photos so that it look nice? i have view some of the animal photos in the wildlife forum, it is very rich in colour. how can i do the same? hope u guyz can help me. thankz in advance.. seeya!

Default Re: Crash course for taking animal photography

Didnt you post this topic before?
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

I think most importantly focus on the eyes.

Let me be nice and post what i said before...

The one thing about animal photography is that you have no control over your subject so in order to get the composition you want you will need to observere the animal and its behaviour in order to roughly predict or guess what it might do. It helps if you already know in your head what kind of shot you want to achive.

You mentioned that this is your first digital camera so I asusme you are new to photography too. I suggest you spend the week reading up on some exposure and compostion books ( you can try to find ones specifc to animals/wildlife) and experimenting with your camera first. Its important that you are familiar with your camera and know eactly what everything does so you dont fumble around and miss a shot.

The fz-7 is a great prosumer camera for the price but remember to tyr to shoot at ISO200 and below as anything more really destroys all details (blame panasonics bad noise control).

Hope this helps somewhat..

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    Didnt you post this topic before?
    yup i post this b4 yah. u told me i should post this in the newbies corner wor, so i do it lor. wrong?

The mods moved it for you

Let me be nice and post what i said before...

The one thing about animal photography is that you have no control over your subject so in order to get the composition you want you will need to observere the animal and its behaviour in order to roughly predict or guess what it might do. It helps if you already know in your head what kind of shot you want to achive.

You mentioned that this is your first digital camera so I asusme you are new to photography too. I suggest you spend the week reading up on some exposure and compostion books ( you can try to find ones specifc to animals/wildlife) and experimenting with your camera first. Its important that you are familiar with your camera and know eactly what everything does so you dont fumble around and miss a shot.

The fz-7 is a great prosumer camera for the price but remember to tyr to shoot at ISO200 and below as anything more really destroys all details (blame panasonics bad noise control).

Hope this helps somewhat..
    You can't go wrong with what raptor has mentioned.

1. be observant of the animals......there must be something which grabbed your attention, try to capture that "something". It's not about shooting and shooting and shooting. (although the "film" is free, sort of .... )

2. watch for high contrast .... your eyes are the "perfect" camera..... your fz7 is not. (and neither is mine..... )

3. Try to shoot the highest resolution possible, cropping is almost inevitable.

4. Colour, saturation & contrasts can be enhanced later.

5. did i say be observant?

there .... some pointers from me lah. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by syous
    yup i post this b4 yah. u told me i should post this in the newbies corner wor, so i do it lor. wrong?
    Crash course number one "Read faster and shoot more."
    Go shoot something, anything.
    Shoot the target twice on different settings, Three times if you cant tell the diff.
    Ya r using a digicam, make mistakes to learn. there's no film to waste.

Blog Entries

1st thing you should do is to rtfm

oh yes, sign up as a friend of the zoo. more worth it if u r gng often. unless u hv a corporate membership, then no problem.

The mods moved it for you
    Sorry for the trouble , first time subscribe to a forum. i thought it have been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphis
    Crash course number one "Read faster and shoot more."
    Go shoot something, anything.
    Shoot the target twice on different settings, Three times if you cant tell the diff.
    Ya r using a digicam, make mistakes to learn. there's no film to waste.
    Thanks everyone for helping me, i have been playing with my camera every night if not cant sleep haha leh . yesterday just figure out how to capture 'Light Trail' its so amazing.

By the way whats the general setting i should set (i mean the shuttle, aperture, iso & whitebalance)? i will be going at around 9am. Now still trying to figure out how should i set my aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by syous
    By the way whats the general setting i should set (i mean the shuttle, aperture, iso & whitebalance)? i will be going at around 9am. Now still trying to figure out how should i set my aperture.
    That would depend on how much DOF you want in your picture. It would aslo depend on weather you have enough light to maintain a hand-holdable shutter speed at the aperature you set. There is no hard and fast setting for wildlife/animals it would strongly depend on the given lighitng conditions and desiress of the photographer. You really should borrow some book to read up

I esp love the Wildlife photographer of the year portfolios as they give a good source of inspiration. National geographic mag is also a good reference for photos