Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Want auto focus 50mm pentax lens

Default Re: Want auto focus 50mm pentax lens

I guess the DA series will somehow have a better autofocus performance. All my FA lens hunts a bit more compared to my DA lens.

Quote Originally Posted by southernoise View Post
    I guess the DA series will somehow have a better autofocus performance. All my FA lens hunts a bit more compared to my DA lens.
    This is an evening of new acquisitions..he heh

I finally gotten myself the FA50 but reading your thread, I was wondering if I was better off buying the DA50 instead. I did notice for some low light targets, my K100D did hunt a little. But overall, the f/1.4 really allow me to get my desired bokeh effect. Its pricey but the image quality is not bad.

I have problem getting razor sharp images even though I held my hand steady. Any special technique you all use ?

One thing I did notice is I miss the ability to frame my images by adjusting the zoom! With the 50mm, I notice I am always too close to the subject and need to physically move back. I guess that's the disadvantage of prime lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    This is an evening of new acquisitions..he heh

I finally gotten myself the FA50 but reading your thread, I was wondering if I was better off buying the DA50 instead. I did notice for some low light targets, my K100D did hunt a little. But overall, the f/1.4 really allow me to get my desired bokeh effect. Its pricey but the image quality is not bad.

I have problem getting razor sharp images even though I held my hand steady. Any special technique you all use ?

One thing I did notice is I miss the ability to frame my images by adjusting the zoom! With the 50mm, I notice I am always too close to the subject and need to physically move back. I guess that's the disadvantage of prime lenses.
    yay.

Strange about the sharp images. is it back or front focussing?

Guys.. I would like to ask.. if a DA50 f2.8 lens is just
    good enough for low light scences.. like indoor shots?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSeeker View Post
    Less ideal, possibly doable, but not great. 2.8 is only about a half a stop faster than 3.5, and I don't think 3.5 (kit lens at 18) is that great...

See: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...perture_01.htm

Also, I would personally get the sigma 18-50 2.8 instead of the DA50 2.8.

Do you know what is the cheepest fast lens available here in singapore?

Do you know what is the cheepest fast lens available here in singapore?
    Probably a second hand manual 50mm lens

If wanna buy new, the fastest one would be the FA43/1.9. Not cheap, but it's the cheapest FA Ltd lens

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    yay.

Strange about the sharp images. is it back or front focussing?
    Hi
    can you elaborate what you mean by back or front focussing?
    Is that when I either focus on the foreground or background for effect?
    cheers...

amazingly, this lens is even more expensive than the f1.4. I always thought it was difficult to design a fast lens, hence the faster it is, the more expensive it gets...
    I could have gone for the sigma 2.8 instead but in the end held out for a 1.4 because the bokeh effect is unbeatable!

amazingly, this lens is even more expensive than the f1.4. I always thought it was difficult to design a fast lens, hence the faster it is, the more expensive it gets...
    I could have gone for the sigma 2.8 instead but in the end held out for a 1.4 because the bokeh effect is unbeatable!
    The 50mm 2.8 is expensive because it's also a (true -i.e. can get you to 1:1 magnification) macro lens...

The 50mm 2.8 is expensive because it's also a (true -i.e. can get you to 1:1 magnification) macro lens...

mm..is macro really such a great deal? on the pc and when printing, the issue becomes moot, right?

mm..is macro really such a great deal? on the pc and when printing, the issue becomes moot, right?
    Hm.

not really.

I think something like:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alexande...57843363086354

would be hard to take without a macro lens.

(although the lens I used for that wasn't even actually a macro - it was the sigma apo)

(and. caveat: I don't think it's that great a photo. It's just interesting in terms of demonstrating macro capability )

Hm.

not really.

I think something like:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alexande...57843363086354

would be hard to take without a macro lens.

(although the lens I used for that wasn't even actually a macro - it was the sigma apo)

(and. caveat: I don't think it's that great a photo. It's just interesting in terms of demonstrating macro capability )
    Hi
    Can't access your shots as need to log in.
    I installed picassa previously as you recommended but can't get past the "server" problems, so have since deleted it and now trying photobucket instead....not too bad so far...

Hi
    Can't access your shots as need to log in.
    I installed picassa previously as you recommended but can't get past the "server" problems, so have since deleted it and now trying photobucket instead....not too bad so far...
    strange.

I don't need to log in to view that (i specifically logged out to check.)

uh.

thanks...but couldn't a close up filter achieve the same effect?

thanks...but couldn't a close up filter achieve the same effect?
    Generally yes - to get magnification similar to that photo it's probably possible, but to get true 1:1 magnification it's slightly harder.
    Last edited by dnaxe; 22nd November 2006 at 03:18 AM.

Just a poll.
    Who are those interested in ordering FA50 F1.4?
    Est shld be $355-365.
    Last edited by phantasmal; 23rd November 2006 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Addition of Pricing.
    ~*phanTAsmal*~ [Panasonic Tz7 & Pentax K10D]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40633616@N00/

I dun mind having one...

[QUOTE=airconvent;2628495]This is an evening of new acquisitions..he heh

I finally gotten myself the FA50 ... f/1.4 ....

I have problem getting razor sharp images even though I held my hand steady. Any special technique you all use ?]

What aperture were you shooting at? I find my 50 1.4 is really quite soft fully open. You have to get up to 2.8 and onwards before you can really say it is sharp as a razor ... Also at 1.4 your margin for error focusing-wise is tiny: a few millimetres forward or back and you're out of focus on a flower pic or the like ...]

[quote - One thing I did notice is I miss the ability to frame my images by adjusting the zoom! With the 50mm, .... :]

In fact I find shooting with my FA28 2.8 prime much more comfortable. In most situations everything's a bit too 'in your face' with a 50 ...

Tim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345