Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Want auto focus 50mm pentax lens

Default Re: want auto focus 50mm pentax lense

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Hi fengwei
    Well I saw one Pentax 50 F2.8 at AP. I'm wondering what is the difference in image quality between the Sigma 50 2.8 and the Pentax one. I should think the Sigma one is cheaper?
    I mean if the price is low and quality good , might as well as go for the Sigma, right?
    Well, that's the new Pentax DFA macro lens, which is suitable for both digital and film cameras. It's expensive (over $600 I think), but well worth the cost if you are looking for the best 50mm macro lens. The Sigma 50/2.8 macro lens is a very decent one, but no point buying a Pentax camera while use a Sigam macro lens (which isn't much cheaper than the Pentax one anyway) Unless your budget is really limited.

If you are not using it for macro but for other general use, I'd suggest you to get a 50/1.4 or 1.7 lens (manual or auto focus).

Quote Originally Posted by crimson1d View Post
    hello! I was thinking of getting FA 50mm F1.4 ..maybe considering 43mm F1.9..but i want to know the price range for both lens. I'm jumping to pentax hopefully soon. So i'm planning ahead in investing lens. Any other recommendations for lens would be great! Oh! anyone know the current price for k100d?
    The FA50/1.4 is out of stock here locally, but you can order it from Cathay Photo or Shiro. Or you can get one (used or new) from eBay for around S$350. The 43mm is currently instock at Cathay Photo, priced for around S$700 I think.

All Pentax Limited lenses (FA or DA LE lenses) are great, as to those star (*) lenses, if you can afford them Actually most Pentax prime lenses are very good for their cost, they are usually smaller and lighter than C/N equivelent ones, and mostly cheaper too. Pentax don't have many great zoom lenses, but they did make some good ones (DA10-17 fisheye, DA12-24/4, DA16-45/4, FA20-35/4, FA28-70/2.8, FA 80-200/2.8, F/FA 250-600/5.6). There are some new * zoom lenses coming out next year.

All Pentax DA lenses (including the kit lens) are very good if not great performers, and they are easily available in some local stores. And BTW, Pentax have the most digital lenses even compare with C or N

The Pentax K100D is a very decent camera, you should be able to get one for around S$1000~1100 .

Good luck!

BTW, latest in the ebay saga..the seller finally contacted me. Claimed he tried to email me a few times and says he is checking with the postal service....that was 2 days ago.
    Hopefully will see the light soon as my visa bill should be arriving anytime now..
    wish me luck!
    Good luck

wooo...i would really go and search every high and low, noook and crannyfor 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 for portraits or indoor or some architecture shots. I hope when i manage to get hold of the new pentax i can get hold some used those 50mm. If someone have it please please reserved for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Good luck
    thanks!

The FA50/1.4 is out of stock here locally, but you can order it from Cathay Photo or Shiro. Or you can get one (used or new) from eBay for around S$350. The 43mm is currently instock at Cathay Photo, priced for around S$700 I think.

All Pentax Limited lenses (FA or DA LE lenses) are great, as to those star (*) lenses, if you can afford them Actually most Pentax prime lenses are very good for their cost, they are usually smaller and lighter than C/N equivelent ones, and mostly cheaper too. Pentax don't have many great zoom lenses, but they did make some good ones (DA10-17 fisheye, DA12-24/4, DA16-45/4, FA20-35/4, FA28-70/2.8, FA 80-200/2.8, F/FA 250-600/5.6). There are some new * zoom lenses coming out next year.
    The FA50/1.4 is out of stock everywhere, even here in the States. It is a wonderful prime lens for those who want to jump out from using zoom. A magic lens that keeps delivering great result. For 300plus sing dollar, it is not expensive and is very cheap when compared to expensive limited lenses. I have 3 copies of 50mm.. M50/1.7, M50/1.4 and FA50/1.4. But I lost my FA50 recently. The 50/1.7 is always sharper when they are both wide open. FA50/1.7 will also be a good buy if there is one floating around on 2nd hand market.

I agreed with Fengwei that Pentax is very good in their prime lenses. And they are always cheaper when compared to N and C equivelent. Some of the affordable sharp primes like M28/2.8, M50/1.7 M135/3.5 used to cost only 30odd pounds 4 years back on ebay.co.uk. These are very affordable lenses and are always very sharp wide open.

We won't know how good is the newer DA* zoom lenses until they are launched next year. From the past Pentax zoom lenses quality, I won't pin high hope that it will delivered until they proof me wrong.

pentax primes are just different from others...

cheerss..

Default Re: Want auto focus 50mm pentax lens

very disappointing.
    update on my ebay fiasco...the lens still not arrived. the seller keeps on telling me he is checking but only replies when I prompt him to. and my visa bill has arrived. I think after 6+ weeks, I am beginning to suspect the lens will not come.

So today, I went out to look for one. tried TCW. they had 2! an "A" and an "M" (both 1.7 and K-mount). The A was not in as good condition as the M but I tried it and liked it. Decided to buy it as quoted $100. Then after all the trouble, the guy tells me I HAVE to buy it together with an istDL + kit lens and they come as a package deal. Man!! If this guy was a salesman, he should have considered letting the lens go now rather than hope for a deal later.
    Anyway, the "M" was better looking, had "Asahi" markings but cost $150 which was too high in my opinion. So in the end, gave it a miss.

I was also looking around for an M42 to K-mount adapter and seems like many shops "had" them but not anymore. After one afternoon, only one shop had it and he wants $45 for it. I was thinking the old M42 lens I wanted to use probably cost around that price too...so gave the deal a miss too.

very disappointing.
    update on my ebay fiasco...the lens still not arrived. the seller keeps on telling me he is checking but only replies when I prompt him to. and my visa bill has arrived. I think after 6+ weeks, I am beginning to suspect the lens will not come.

So today, I went out to look for one. tried TCW. they had 2! an "A" and an "M" (both 1.7 and K-mount). The A was not in as good condition as the M but I tried it and liked it. Decided to buy it as quoted $100. Then after all the trouble, the guy tells me I HAVE to buy it together with an istDL + kit lens and they come as a package deal. Man!! If this guy was a salesman, he should have considered letting the lens go now rather than hope for a deal later.
    Anyway, the "M" was better looking, had "Asahi" markings but cost $150 which was too high in my opinion. So in the end, gave it a miss.

I was also looking around for an M42 to K-mount adapter and seems like many shops "had" them but not anymore. After one afternoon, only one shop had it and he wants $45 for it. I was thinking the old M42 lens I wanted to use probably cost around that price too...so gave the deal a miss too.
    Too bad experience. Did you bid that lens from seller of US? Since I got some not comfortable experience, all from seller of US.
    The seller from Europe all make me satisfied.
    If the adapter is genuine pentax made, $45 is reasonable. With one adapter you can use almost all M42 lens, thats a happy thing.

... I was also looking around for an M42 to K-mount adapter and seems like many shops "had" them but not anymore...
    Try PM either Fengwei or PQ23. I am aware that both have some good quality Japan-made adaptors, if not the original Pentax ones. These adaptors have no problems with infinity focus, unlike some adaptors out there.
    Last edited by alvinsclee; 3rd November 2006 at 11:31 AM.
    * Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time... and live a life! *
    :) Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by alvinsclee View Post
    Try PM either Fengwei or PQ23. I am aware that both have some good quality Japan-made adaptors, if not the original Pentax ones. These adaptors have no problems with infinity focus, unlike some adaptors out there.
    Thanks Alvin I've got no more spare ones, just a couple of original ones which I need to use w/ my Takumar lenses

~*phanTAsmal*~ [Panasonic Tz7 & Pentax K10D]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40633616@N00/

wow..this price is quite good and this is the auto focus one. only slight more than what a seller is asking for in the marketplace section for a second hand one.
    but after my ebay incident, now a little reluctant...

wow..this price is quite good and this is the auto focus one. only slight more than what a seller is asking for in the marketplace section for a second hand one.
    hmmm ebay definitely hav gd and bad sellers as they are not companies.
    Amazon shld be different.
    Anyway u can check out reselleratings.com to check out reputation of companies.

Well, it's out of stock now

Actually the price plus shipping and import tax, ends up the lens will cost alot more than what you can get for a second hand one ... All Pentax 50s are very good, and the 50/1.4 is one of the best even comparing with C/N ones.

Of course if budget is tight, you can always get the 50/1.7 version, or better yet, get a manual one

Well, it's out of stock now

Actually the price plus shipping and import tax, ends up the lens will cost alot more than what you can get for a second hand one ... All Pentax 50s are very good, and the 50/1.4 is one of the best even comparing with C/N ones.

Of course if budget is tight, you can always get the 50/1.7 version, or better yet, get a manual one
    I'm curious. If these lenses are so good, why doesn't pentax make more of them?
    Seems quite scarce to begin with. And why doesn't shriro bring some in for a bulk buy?

I'm curious. If these lenses are so good, why doesn't pentax make more of them?
    Seems quite scarce to begin with. And why doesn't shriro bring some in for a bulk buy?
    Pentax is only a small company w/ limited resources. Currently they are focusing on manufacturing DA lenses instead of FA ones. Don't worry, you'd see plenty of DA55/1.4 next year when it's available

Cheers,

Pentax is only a small company w/ limited resources. Currently they are focusing on manufacturing DA lenses instead of FA ones. Don't worry, you'd see plenty of DA55/1.4 next year when it's available

Cheers,
    Thanks..I'm quite confused by their numbering nomenclature...too many of them!
    There SMC (which to me as an astronomer means Super-multi-coated!).
    I can only assume DA means "Digital with Aperture control" but what does FA mean? What are the differences?
    Cheers

Cheers,
    Would it be better to wait for the DA55 F1.4 or buy the FA50?
    Think the DA would be smaller right?

I can only assume DA means "Digital with Aperture control" but what does FA mean? What are the differences?
    Cheers
    From my understanding, FA are able to be used for Full Frame cams too whereas DA are meant for APS-C cam.

Cheers
    All things about Pentax K mount lenses before DA:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technolo...ary/index.html

DA lens means Autofocus Lens for Digital

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by phantasmal View Post
    Would it be better to wait for the DA55 F1.4 or buy the FA50?
    Think the DA would be smaller right?
    Well, the FA50 lenses aren't big, can't make it any much smaller I guess. If I were you, I'd get an FA50 first. Who knows how long you are gonna wait before the DA55 comes available

Cheers,

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast