Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travelling Overseas

Default Re: Travelling Overseas

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein
    yes, i got UV filters on all the time.
    feel safer touching my UV filters other than my camera lens.

what do u usually do if ur blower does not remove a certain subborn speck of dust? do u use a soft brush?
    Well, I will put some solution on the lense and wipe it off with lens paper or microfibre cloth.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Well, I will put some solution on the lense and wipe it off with lens paper or microfibre cloth.
    Try first with microfibre cloth. It works well since I am using B+W filter. I avoid any solution to the filter or lens.

Regards,
    Arto.

okay okay thx
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Be careful with microfibre cloth ya, don't be complacent. The cloth is perfect for the lens, but a dirty one with debris and dust on it, will scratch your lens.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

hmm, so ensure the microfibre cloth is clean
    cannot wash it right

Can wash. (Depends on what brand) But make sure no oil is on it.
    Have 2 piece. 1st piece first wipe to rid of oil
    2nd piece to make sure it shine.

Of course, blow dust away before wiping.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

im not sure of the brand... but it says Kanebo hitecloth

The threadstarter asked a familiar question and much of what was said here is in fact what I do when I travel with my gear. In truth I would practice it even in Singapore.

Humidity here is always over 80% and when it enters into the barrel of your lens, fungus WILL take root. The point of dry cabinets and drying agents is to have an environment that prevents the fungus from taking root. That does not mean that its not in the air around your camera etc. Its there, trust me.

So ZIPLOCK sandwich bags are a godsend. I carry them in my camera bags - one each for my lenses. Why? When I am in a cold environment or building and I know that the condensation will take place when I leave the building - serious moisture damage can result so I always ziplock them and put them back in the bag before leaving the building. Wait until the equipment temperature equalise before using them.

As for silica gel, the simple solution is to go to any film processing shop and buy one of those that comes in a bottle. Use CLINGWRAP for about 5 tablespoons of the silica and secure it with a rubber band and puncture pinholes into it. The alternative in a pinch is to use toilet or tissue paper to wrap them and rubber band the stuff together. To prevent breakage or spilling, use a tight netting material or cloth instead.

Pop several of these into your camera bags with the ziplocks in it and it will keep dry. These are rechargeable - simply microwave them.

While this is a tad tedious, I still do it here in Singapore or when I travel. Good habits save equipment and money. Laziness has a cost. So you decide.

BTW I keep my lenses in a dry cabinet and never in the bag. BUT when I travel, I do this religiously. Remember this method also makes sure it does not get wet when you caught in the rain.

Best of luck on your trip!

I've been away for 3 months at a strech. No need to worry about your cam lah. Just shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12