Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting Film on Digital

Default Re: Shooting Film on Digital

Quote Originally Posted by jem777vbk
    What I meant was, I asked the people to just develop the photos for me as the machine would, without adjusting anything.

I have terrible experience when I ask them to print a very warmed colour digital file, their operator go and set auto levels for me, making my photo bad.

Anyway, thanks, I will try slides one day.
    Ah.. not many labs have properly calibrated machines to do that properly.

haha.. ok ok.. true hard core slide fans you guys are.. so I will need a light box... do they do scans for you as well from slides to digital?
    As stated above, not all photo labs. But when i got mine scanned, the results were only so so. I still prefer to develop it onto film.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

some photos labs provide such services, usually those higher ends ones with huge printing machines.. Scanned results also depends on the shop's computer if they're computers are calibrated or not and the scanner itself also. usually one slide scan will costs about a dollar or so, thats my from my own experience..

Alright guys. Just developed two rolls with KIM TIAN. It is not as DREAMERZ said, 5444 x 3649. It is not even as what LKSC said 2400 x 3600px. They gave me only 3360 x 2240. And it cost 12 bucks. They said 5444x3649 will cost 18 bucks or more. Scans are so so only also. I took some same shots with both digital and film, and digital looks better than the scans.

Any other place you guys can recommend besides Kim Tian?

Alright guys. Just developed two rolls with KIM TIAN. It is not as DREAMERZ said, 5444 x 3649. It is not even as what LKSC said 2400 x 3600px. They gave me only 3360 x 2240. And it cost 12 bucks. They said 5444x3649 will cost 18 bucks or more. Scans are so so only also. I took some same shots with both digital and film, and digital looks better than the scans.

Any other place you guys can recommend besides Kim Tian?
    Fotohub.

Find their branches at www.fotohub.com

thanks man.

Question Re: Shooting Film on Digital

Quote Originally Posted by LKSC
    I would suggest going to Kim Tian Digital in Upper Cross Street. They will develop and scan to 16 base (3600 x 2400 jpegs) for about $10. You can specify your general preferance for colour balance to Michelle.

If you are using such a fast lens, you really ought to be using slower films. Id suggest Reala or Pro160S.
    can check the exact location for KT at upper cross street, any particular landmark...films to develop and scan....
    Nur MD - nur_md@me.com

To all, Kim Tian only don't scan at 3600 x 2400.. it is only about 3220 x something i cannot remember. And it is not 10. it is 12 dollars. It is located at hong lim complex, level 1 beside uob a small shop.

To all, Kim Tian only don't scan at 3600 x 2400.. it is only about 3220 x something i cannot remember. And it is not 10. it is 12 dollars. It is located at hong lim complex, level 1 beside uob a small shop.
    What did you ask for when scanning? You need to specify exactly what you want when scanning. There are various options and variables. Scanning as a "Free Export 8X12" at KT gives me 3636 X 2433 files.

Note that Superia 400 is one of the worst colour films out there. If you want to shoot colour negative for scanning, try Pro400H at 320, Reala at 80, or Pro 160S at 125.

As far as slides are concerned, if the primary goal is to make prints, or if you intend to view them mostly on a computer monitor, it would be better to shoot negs. Slides are meant to be projected or viewed on a light table. Because of the nature of the emulsion slides are hard to scan, no minilab CCD scanner or flatbed can do justice to a slide.

Something needs to be said about expectations from available technology and services as far as slides are concerned.

It is a mistake to judge the quality of a slide from any minilab scanner, be it the Fuji frontier or Noritsu or AGfa d-Lab. The only CCD-based scanner that can do justice to slides is the Imacon Flextight. To properly scan slides you need a fluid-mounted drum scan, performed by a good operator. No one in Singapore is competent to do that - when I need drum scans I send them to the USA. They are not cheap - about $60 per frame. The Imacon can come very close, and are much more affordable.
    Last edited by LKSC; 12th July 2006 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks for the advice. Where can I find those reala, pro400h etc films?

Another thing, I am definitely not judging the color by the lab. I do know drum scanning provides better scans. But because KT has been overrated, everyone seem to love their prints and scans, therefore I tried it out and just commented. Wud love to send my stuffs to USA but dun have that kinda budget.

Deregistered

if u got the time, get one dedicated film scanner. that's better and cheaper in long run. also you'll have full satisfactions.

Thanks for the advice. Where can I find those reala, pro400h etc films?
    You can try CP or Ruby photo (in the opposite building). My fav negatives are pro 160C 160S looked a little too bland for me after they were scanned in. Kex used to do goof negative scans but he sold his noritsu machine. He still has the imacon IIRC so he might still offer slide scannign services.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Dear all,

gotten a microtek i800 scanner. Not bad indeed.

Currently am shopping for medium format camera namely the mamiya pro tl with power grip. Anyone got a real good deal please let me know.

jem777vbk

What are the file size of the scans you get back from KT or Fotohub?

Recently, I got to shoot 12 sheets of 4x5 transparency films again. What a breath of fresh air it is from the digital images I shoot everyday.

The color is simply

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive
    jem777vbk

What are the file size of the scans you get back from KT or Fotohub?
    Never tried fotohub, because the scan size is the same. Just price difference. You still need to do some touch ups in photoshop.

the size I got from KT was 3360 x 2240.

Never tried fotohub, because the scan size is the same. Just price difference. You still need to do some touch ups in photoshop.

the size I got from KT was 3360 x 2240.
    Sorry brother, what I meant was how many MB per file, average, not the dimension.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12