Thread: taking picture etiquette

Default taking picture etiquette

Hi,

I'm just curious on what's the general rule of taking photo of people in public? Should we ask permission from the individual before taking his/her photo? There are pictures of inviduals here which I think taken candidly without the individuals knowing right?

Default Re: taking picture etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user
    Hi,

I'm just curious on what's the general rule of taking photo of people in public? Should we ask permission from the individual before taking his/her photo? There are pictures of inviduals here which I think taken candidly without the individuals knowing right?

whats ur purpose of said candid photos?

Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty
    whats ur purpose of said candid photos?
    nothing commericial. if i post it here and the invididual finds out. can i get sued for not asking permission to take his/her photo?

anything indecent in mind? if not, i don't think there is a need unless that person notices you and is irritated or don't allow you to take his/her pictures. and if you're going to shoot a person and use it for commercial purposes, of course you better get the person's permission first. you might use that photo for advertisements and stuffs. and the ppls inside might not like it bla bla bla. =)
    I Love You :)

Blog Entries

if i am not wrong, singapore has got no privacy laws. so it should be okay to shoot for non commercial purposes.

Lawyers here should be able to shed more light on this subject

Hi,

If u are so worried getting sued. My suggestion, don't shoot at all.

Its funny when photography was just emerging and people do not have questions like these and now with the explosion of photography, the availability of cheap prosumers and entry-level DSLRs, we are getting questions like "take candid shots need permission? Scared get sued.", "why must take nude photos? Won't normal photos do?", etc, etc.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

You never heard of people getting sue for shooting them?

If people sue, none of us will post up photos people on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    if i am not wrong, singapore has got no privacy laws. so it should be okay to shoot for non commercial purposes.

Lawyers here should be able to shed more light on this subject

so can i just snap snap snap? just asking...

if you wait and ask, the moment is lost......think about it

If you ask then it's no more candid.

"The moments in life if to be asked, are no longer a moment to be captured."

The thing that sets snapshooters aside and photographers aside are that, snapshooters just snap a photo, without meaning, without composition, without exposure and its a photo.

A photographer shoots a candid moment, but not compromising on the modesty or causing severe embarassment to the subject. Instead, the silly action which happened in a split fraction of a second is captured which also earns praise from the subject involved.

That's the diff between a snapshooter (aka cameraman) and a photographer.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Hi,

Generally speaking, taking photos and posting of ppl is acceptable. The crux of the matter is the INTENTION.
    If your intention is not illegal or evil, then nothing should happen. At most, the person in the photo will request that you take it off.
    always the Light, .... always.

I think it's only basic courtesy to ask before taking if not it can be taken as harrassment. On the other hand, I'll never let anyone take pics of me in public, whether or not they ask cos' it's just freaky that someone you dunno has your pics.

Once I caught some sneaky guy taking pics of my models at an outdoot shoot, I almost smack his lights out!