Thread: Air ionizers- real or not?

Default Air ionizers- real or not?

Here's one for you :How do you know if the air ionizer you bought really produce negative ions?
    I mean you can't smell or see it right?
    Is there an off the shelf instrument to measure -ve ions?

Default Re: Air ionizers- real or not?

got smell if i power it more than what the room size need than got a metal kind of smell.

I have one which emits air that smells like a photocopier whenever I switch it on. Anyone else have the same experience? I was told by the saleperson that's how it should smell like.

it's the ozone you are smelling.

What I learnt during chemistry lessons and readings online is that Ozone is poisonous, so how can these devices be beneficial to one's health?

Quote Originally Posted by kiat
    I have one which emits air that smells like a photocopier whenever I switch it on. Anyone else have the same experience? I was told by the saleperson that's how it should smell like.

Ionizers removes smell, even perfume. There shouldn't be any smell at least what I think.

Look in the corners of your room. They should slowly turn black with dust.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    What I learnt during chemistry lessons and readings online is that Ozone is poisonous, so how can these devices be beneficial to one's health?
    Exactly. I think the more pertinent question is whether the ionizers have been shown to give any health benefit.

In small amounts, ozone is not really dangerous. It is a powerful oxidiser and will destroy odours much more readily than negative ions alone. It is also a powerful disinfectant as it will destroy bacteria and virus in the air very quickly. Because it reacts so quickly with contaminants in the air, ozone does not last very long after leaving the ioniser. Did you know that ozone is used in some of our waterworks here in Singapore as the primary disinfectant in the production of our drinking water?

There have been some controversy over whether it is better or not if ozone is emitted together with the negative ions. Some ioniser companies harp on this as a selling point for their models. They claim that their ionisers are better because they don't emit ozone and therefore charges more for them. Other brands tout the benefits of ozone in removing odour and rapid disinfection and claim that theirs are better because of the slight ozone content.

Have one of those plasma clusters in my room and usually leave it on throughout the night. I used to get runny nose in the morning. Does not happen anymore. I also used to get sick a lot, usually sore throat and flu. Since getting it, the frequency has decreased. I've not got the flu in over 4 months which is a record for me .

Here's some FAQ answers to air purifiers.
    http://www.allergo.com.sg/airCareFAQ.html