Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Airlines Feedback

Arrow Singapore Airlines Feedback

Looks like the Sarong Kebaya stewardess and their level of services are not what it used to be.

The difference in the level of service between Asian and Caucasian passengers have always cropped up.

Default Re: Singapore Airlines Feedback

How about elaborating a little bit more? Your 2 liner doesn't say much at all.

It takes 2 hands to clap. The cabin crew are humans too. You treat them like maids and expect them to get things done for you straight away. What is this? If you want top notch service, buy your own plane with it's own crew. I have never had any problem flying on SQ - Raffles and Economy. A simple please and thank you makes the difference - from my travels, i notice most asians superglued their lips prior to take off. My 2 cents.

I'm not sure if this can be qualified as an 'isolated incident'...

I was taking SIA from Sydney back to Singapore on one of my trips, so happens that I was in nothing more T-Shirt and cargo pants as per usual. Shortly after takeoff and the plane levelled, dinner was served. Ok, nothing special until I'd decided to read some papers.

After trays were collected, I waited for a stewardess to walk past and asked her, "Excuse me? Sorry, but can I have a copy of The Straits Times?" Alright, she smiled and acknowledged it. A Caucasian sitting beside me made the same request and she waltzed all the way to the back (presumably to check on other guests to see what needs they have. U noe? Gather orders 1 shot and serve later. Or so I thought) and waltzed past me to the front.

Shortly thereafter, she returned... With just 1copy of The Straits Times. I was thinking, "Maybe they are out?" And sat up, waiting to receive the copy. But somehow I had drank invisibility potion and she handed the Straits Times to the Caucasian instead! I was a little stunned at the act and decided to give our ladies another chance.

Shortly thereafter, another stewardess waltzed past my seat and I repeated my request. She did the same thing, went to the back and to the front... Another guy in front of me, in a business suit asked for a copy of The Business Times and she went off... and returned with 1 copy of the Business Times.

1 final chance. I asked the passing Steward for a copy of The Straits Times and was promptly served with the papers in less than 3mins and simultaneously, the 2nd stewardess whom I had passed my request to earlier, turned up... with 1 more copy of The Straits Times... (I juz passed the extra copy to my Dad).

I would not comment on this service. I had stopped taking SIA since. U guys be the judge and see if its a 'one-off isolated incident' or perhaps some of u might have similar stories to share as well.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

agree with klose... jsbn, U know anyone working as a stewardess?

I think it comes down to the mood of the stewardess, her ability to remember U & yr ability to get what U want...

To share my experiences...
    In general, I think american & european stewardesses tend to remember which asians to ignore, cuz they sometimes think we're all stingy bicycle riders asking for freebies. (drinks, cards, magazines, more peanuts)
    Asian stewardess tend to forget which asians requested what, cuz there's usually a million of us all asking for freebies...
    And china stewardess dont give a sh*t to anyone...
    But overall, SIA still has the best service, U pay a bomb sometimes but the extra cash is worth it.

I believe everytime that if U ask nicely like "hi, rough day, I'm just dying for a <insert item>?" & smile, then U should be able to get what U want. She has to attend to abt a hundred people's requests, stand most of the time except during landing/takeoff and has to deal with pervs taking passes at her as she walks by. I find it's best to actually walk up to the galley(kitchen) and ask. Who knows, they might share more than a newspaper with U.... (drinks, cards, magazines, more peanuts, instant noodles...phone number)

If she has PMS, then ask another person hehe.
    Last edited by Rev; 19th June 2006 at 09:59 AM.

maybe i'm lucky, but i always get what i asked for promptly...
    eat. drink. shoot

kinda funny and weird that we have to "suit" to the air stewardness's mood. its like saying u must talk very nicely to the cashier who just got told off by the boss at a shop so tat the transaction won't screw up. (i'm not saying we shd be nasty to ppl who served us, dun misquote my words)

but my (limited) experience in taking SIA seems to be pretty alright...that time i took NWA....the air stewardness all are caucasian versions of singapore aunties...grumbling and complaining all the time
    Last edited by dr34mc4st3r; 19th June 2006 at 10:07 AM.
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

By and large, SQ cabin crew still provide some of the better service service standards out there. I've flown enough airlines to be able to make that distinction. One can't judge an airline based on the behavior of one or two members of the cabin crew. Try flying with some of the American carriers and you'll be wishing you're back on SIA.

I too had a couple of bad experiences on SIA but not as much as the other airlines I must say. This includes my experience during check-in at the counter as well. Personally, I too feel that service standards has dropped as compared to previously. However, I have previously made a couple of complaints to SIA and am always promptly attended to by the various customer service managers to make things right, which is why I still continue to fly singapore air.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev
    agree with klose... jsbn, U know anyone working as a stewardess?
    Dun have such luck though.

I think it comes down to the mood of the stewardess, her ability to remember U & yr ability to get what U want...
    There are times when one forgets orders... That, I would understand.

But getting service based on the MOOD of the service provider? I'm not sure if my tone of voice irks people, but having the experience working anywhere from fast-food restaurants, cinemas and 5 star hotels, I know how waiters and service providers feel and always try to put across my requests in an extremely apologetic manner. Not in a 'Holier-than-thou', 'Customer is King' tone.

To share my experiences...
    In general, I think american & european stewardesses tend to remember which asians to ignore, cuz they sometimes think we're all stingy bicycle riders asking for freebies. (drinks, cards, magazines, more peanuts)
    Hmm... Haven't been serviced by American or European stewardesses yet. So generally, can't comment.

Asian stewardess tend to forget which asians requested what, cuz there's usually a million of us all asking for freebies...
    My experience being served by Asian stewardess on Northwest Airlines had been generally, prompt and pleasant. Chop-chop give, I smile, she smile, everyone happy.

BTW, u mean u can ask for extra peanuts or bagels? Always loved the small packets of bagels NWA gives. Juz can't get enuff of it but did not usually ask for more since they seem so limited.

But overall, SIA still has the best service, U pay a bomb sometimes but the extra cash is worth it.
    The 'best' word is pretty subjective, but even if its not the bad incidents I'd kena-ed when flying SIA, to be honest, I don't really fancy the 3-4-3 arrangement on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r
    but my (limited) experience in taking SIA seems to be pretty alright...that time i took NWA....the air stewardness all are caucasian versions of singapore aunties...grumbling and complaining all the time
    Heng-sway?

My experiences with the air stewardesses on NWA has been excellent and wonderful, save for the occasional turbulences that hits, that I swear by them both on providing good value for airfares as well as service.

As for the food, well, airline food tastes all the same to me as long as they dun give me the runs.

I had very good experiences with SQ and their cabin crew, which is why I insist on paying the premium to fly SQ even when I'm on a tight budget. But my recent experience on SQ to and from Bali change that.

I have very sensitive eardrums. They get extremely painful during take-offs and landings. It can get so bad that I will have running nose and start tearing. Somehow, perceived or otherwise, SQ's pilots do the take-offs and landings much "better", in the sense that I'm much less affected. But during the recent flights, the take-off and landings suck big time. I had the worst impact on my ears ever. Right, so I'm an isolated passenger, they can't make everyone happy. But on the flight back, the landing on Changi Airport was so bumpy and horrible that there are a number of passengers who complained to the cabin crew.

In fact, I wasn't the only one who felt sick. My wife was quite sickened by the take off, so asked for sweets from the stewardess. Which didn't come for a long time (say, 15-20 mins, after 2 reminders). When the sweet did come, a long while AFTER the takeoff, my wife is already having a bad headache. We asked for a panadol, which took another half an hour to come. Yes, we're approaching Singapore already. So the same stewardess was collecting back our headsets. Without looking at us, grabbed our headsets, flung it into the bag she was holding to show her displeasure.

If not for the fact that both my wife and myself were already feeling so sick, we would have lodged an official complaint immediately.

I thought landings are pretty much automated now with ILS so that the pilot don't really have to do a manual landing (unless emergency where everything goes down. *choy*) so it shld be pretty standard?

But yeah, sometimes requests do take a little long to come. My first school trip 10yrs ago, I recall having to wait like... 2hrs just for a vodka?

I spoke to a trainee pilot (SQ) friend, apparently, the pilot does have control over landing, and harsh landing can very likely be a result of what the pilot does. I don't know the details.

See, I'm fine with waiting for my wine, my blanket and stuff. Or even my own sweets. I was peeved because I was extremely smiley, polite and patient each time I requested and reminded the stewardess. I was peeved because she was nonchalent despite seeing how sick my wife was. I was peeved, mostly because, she shows she's pissed off with us!

Sorry for bitching. I do hope this is an isolated incident for the sake of one of the leading companies in SG. I would still give SQ a chance, but just one more I hope. The stewardess that peeved me lacked basic courtesy as a person, much less a service provider of a leading airline. I definitely don't wish to see SQ going downhill, and my sharing of the unpleasant experience is not intended as such.

well, sometimes that may be the case, no differnece from the preference that caucasions get here in singapore in shops/ restaurants etc..

but i still rather be served by SQ girls than the european airlines & quantas where u always get the impression they think they are better than u..
    and at least SQ service is always available throughout the flight... whereas i always find in the rare times ive had to fly BA/ quantas.. they always dissapear after meal service..

I haven't been travelling very much myself, but I have flown on quite a number of Asian airlines. To be honest, SQ still have one of the best services out there. Although, I don't feel any value-added for the extra premium that I pay for the air ticket. Of course, the premium also goes to the in-flight entertainment and leg room and other conveniences. These days for shorter flights, I will usually fly with ANA or Thai Airways, because for a cheaper airfare, I can get a similar level of services. Partly also because they are also Star Alliances carriers, I can accumulate miles then redeem for SIA flight (call me cheapskate).

I think ANA's service is exceptional, even if the cabin attendants sometimes don't fully understand you. Serving the passengers drinks and carrying requests for newspapers, blankets etc etc are really just routine duties for the cabin attendants. If they can't even carry those out properly, then there's something wrong with their training. However, how the measure of excellent service is how much they put in to go that extra mile, ie promptness, attitude and thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I thought landings are pretty much automated now with ILS so that the pilot don't really have to do a manual landing (unless emergency where everything goes down. *choy*) so it shld be pretty standard?
    Manual landings are still very much the order of the day. While the ILS (Instrument Landing System) is capable of guiding an airplane down to a fully automatic landing, it is not usually used unless operating in inclement weather with limited visibility. The pilots will still hand fly the airplane using ILS guidance for the majority of approaches.

icic. Thanks for the clarification.

Cos I thought most of the stuff are pretty automated where the Pilot, co-pilot and navigator punches in flight data like weight, fuel and other stuff and lets the computer takes care of the rest and they will only take full control of everything only in case of turbulence, bad weather and emergencies (like hijacking, maybe a landing gear or engine gets ripped off, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    icic. Thanks for the clarification.

Cos I thought most of the stuff are pretty automated where the Pilot, co-pilot and navigator punches in flight data like weight, fuel and other stuff and lets the computer takes care of the rest and they will only take full control of everything only in case of turbulence, bad weather and emergencies (like hijacking, maybe a landing gear or engine gets ripped off, etc)
    Most modern cockpits require a minimum of 2 crew members. The navigator you mention has been replaced by an automated navigation system, the flight engineer as well. Many older airliners also have had their avionics upgraded to negate the need of any additional crew members apart from the 2 pilots.

The pilots are still very much in the operational loop and maintain positive control over the many electronic systems. You still need to know how to fly... and as you mentioned, the pilots are most needed during times of emergencies.

Fly 1st class ba, higher attendence vs passenger ratio. They remember you by first name too!
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast