Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No TV can get fined ?!

Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Quality dramas? Like which ones? ;-)

I thought our national tv broadcaster is a pure commercial enterprise?
    Ok, I should have put the list of public service programmes in quotes. Those words including "quality dramas" are used by MDA, not me. I merely state their position.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    'LOST' and 'DESPERATE HOUSEWIVE' maybe .

Regards,
    Arto.
    No, PSB programmes are locally made programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    'LOST' and 'DESPERATE HOUSEWIVE' maybe .

Regards,
    Arto.
    I add Sex and the City.

Smile Re: No TV can get fined ?!

any reply from mda?

Smile Re: No TV can get fined ?!

yes, mda replied on 26 june.

yes, i am afraid that all licensees should keep mda informed in writing if there is a change in the status of their tv licence. otherwise, they will need to keep paying for the licence. if not, reminder would be sent. of course, summons is taken only as a final recourse.

it's always the case of assumed guilty until proven innocent

oh well...maybe if u r in MDA's shoes, hw would you know which household has or don't have tv at hm? so u would expect MDA to go to every single home to check and verify whether got tv? but they did try to solve the matter my mailing a reminder to the person....but it seems tat the person did not try to contact MDA till he / she kanna the fine.......

maybe before ppl starting complaining and writing to the ST forum, they should think whether did they do anything to prevent it from happening anot....

I understand it is diff in the part of MDA, BUT, if MDA wants to fine, it is their job to find out & make sure that those being fined have a TV set.
    eg, What is Microsoft just starts to send letters to every single family in developed countries & ask them to show them a copy of genuine Windows Product key?(Assuming everyone has a PC at home). If no reply, a legal suits follows to sue that person for using a fake copy of Windows etc.

Everyone wants to take the easy way out.

Remember watching a TV programme 'Project X' quite some time back.
    This shows was about how Japanese companies became successful.
    One sentence from a engineer stuck me hard:'We can take the easy way out by teaching the commuters how to insert their train tickets correctly, but, it is unfair to them, as this is our job as an Engineer to design a idiot-proved ticket slot.'
    Last edited by evq; 30th June 2006 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    I understand it is diff in the part of MDA, BUT, if MDA wants to fine, it is their job to find out & make sure that those being fined have a TV set.
    eg, What is Microsoft just starts to send letters to every single family in developed countries & ask them to show them a copy of genuine Windows Product key?(Assuming everyone has a PC at home). If no reply, a legal suits follows to sue that person for using a fake copy of Windows etc.

Everyone wants to take the easy way out.

Remember watching a TV programme 'Project X' quite some time back.
    This shows was about how Japanese companies became successful.
    One sentence from a engineer stuck me hard:'We can take the easy way out by teaching the commuters how to insert their train tickets correctly, but, it is unfair to them, as this is our job as an Engineer to design a idiot-proved ticket slot.'
    Acutally r we becoming so pampered that we want everything to be done for us? MDA did give the person a chance but he / she choose to ignore it..... furthermore, getting ppl to go down to houses to check involve costs also.....eg. if u dun pay your HP bills, would u expect the coy to send somebody down to ask why u dun pay or would the coy jus send red bills to you?

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11
    Acutally r we becoming so pampered that we want everything to be done for us? MDA did give the person a chance but he / she choose to ignore it..... furthermore, getting ppl to go down to houses to check involve costs also.....eg. if u dun pay your HP bills, would u expect the coy to send somebody down to ask why u dun pay or would the coy jus send red bills to you?
    If i dun own a HP, I dun expect to get a HP bill in the 1st place.
    If I dun own a TV set, I expect to get a bill & risk being fined from MDA?

He dun own a TV, what obligation does he have to reply? It is not a must to own a tv in s'pore. If so, i rest my case. What MDA can do is simply to call him to clarify.
    'Opt out' is a what i would say a lazy way for the authorities/boards/companies.
    Too pampered?
    Banks were penalised by the authority for pre-approving credit cards with opt-out option.
    Now MDA is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    If i dun own a HP, I dun expect to get a HP bill in the 1st place.
    If I dun own a TV set, I expect to get a bill & risk being fined from MDA?

He dun own a TV, what obligation does he have to reply? It is not a must to own a tv in s'pore. If so, i rest my case. What MDA can do is simply to call him to clarify.
    'Opt out' is a what i would say a lazy way for the authorities/boards/companies.
    Too pampered?
    Banks were penalised by the authority for pre-approving credit cards with opt-out option.
    Now MDA is doing it.
    If u dun own a HP, yet the coy send a bill to you, would u expect the coy to come down to ur place to check whether u realli own a HP?

It may nt be a muz to haf a TV in spore but if u just walk ard any HDB blocks, what r the chances of a household nt having a TV? and if MDA has to send ppl to check a household whenever they dun pay (whether becoz they forgot, no $ or simply bo chup), how much will these costs be? so who going to pay for all these? consumers? they will just complain again.....

alot of things work both ways, MDA did try do its part by sending reminders.....and if the person has just taken abit of time to write or call back, all these would nt have happen....

dun realli tink tat banks and MDA can be compared as banks involve the possiblity of lost of information / misuse of card during the posting of credit cards to you.....I think this is much more important then just the process of 'opt out'....

I support what scramblur11 said. Read my post #34 at page 2.

What seems to be forgotten is that this is not a case where MDA fines you on the assumption that you have a TV, and leaves it to you to opt out.

The facts are:

1. He had a TV
    2. He paid for a licence (terms & conditions require you to inform MDA if you cease to have the TV)
    3. He ceased to have a TV
    4. He did not inform MDA
    5. MDA sent reminders
    6. He did not respond
    7. MDA issues fine
    8. He reacts

I think we should all be rational. Sure, we can insist on MDA finding proof that we have no TV before any summons can be issued. In that case,

1. A law has to be passed to give MDA officers rights to enter and search your premises
    2. TV licence fees have to go up because of higher admin cost and less people paying

It's really a simple thing for us citizens to cooperate for the good of all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123