Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: No TV can get fined ?!

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    What about those that only watch DVDs, need to get TV license too?

  2. #22

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    I think .sg's law is based on "Total Criminalisation".
    Everyone needs to be guilty to a certain degree.
    So when u brought in for questioning, they will "overlook" the unpaid parking fines, the MP3s in your harddisk, if u guai guai cooperate with them...




    .

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Beach Road
    Posts
    3,749

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    What about those that only watch DVDs, need to get TV license too?
    So long you have a TV, you need to subscribe TV license. But come on, if you have a TV, are you sure you won't watch TV? Watch on PC large LCD screen should be ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    I think .sg's law is based on "Total Criminalisation".
    Everyone needs to be guilty to a certain degree.
    So when u brought in for questioning, they will "overlook" the unpaid parking fines, the MP3s in your harddisk, if u guai guai cooperate with them...

    .
    That is 'Guilty until proven Innocent'?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by tao
    So long you have a TV, you need to subscribe TV license. But come on, if you have a TV, are you sure you won't watch TV? Watch on PC large LCD screen should be ok.



    That is 'Guilty until proven Innocent'?
    Good idea leh...get a TV tuner card and declare no TV...

  5. #25

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    actually I never watch mediacorp channels leh... must still pay for TV license? Where the money goes to?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Write to PM lah... Too bad, election is over .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    So how many of you here voted to pay and pay??? Maybe should start a poll here

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    1 tv 1 license ?

    or 1 household 1 license ?

    install on car lcd n can watch tv programmes , need to get 1 lic ?

    all this money is really alot of money wor.......................................

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiang
    1 tv 1 license ?

    or 1 household 1 license ?

    install on car lcd n can watch tv programmes , need to get 1 lic ?

    all this money is really alot of money wor.......................................
    1 household 1 license. No matter how much TVs do you have.

    AFAIK, car is a must with TV/RADIO license when you got Car's license.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    AMK, Singapore
    Posts
    527

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    I think the point is that if u receive bill from garment.. dun ack blur and ignore it.. So if u receive the TV licensing fee bill and u dun wanna pay cos no tv.. write in and tell them.. dun wait and wait till they fine u then try to explain or argue..

    Having said that.. i find the idea of needing a tv licensing fee ridiculous..

  11. #31

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by nova_nebula
    Is there an assumption that ALL households are defaulted to have TV so ALL must pay until informed otherwise? Sounds like an Opt-out system. Never like it, never will.
    actually it's because the original forum poster had a receiver without license at his/her house.
    He/she had twisted the words to make it look like there was no offence done.
    This is a quote from the original story,
    "for having a 'broadcast television receiver without a valid licence'."

    AFAIK you do not need a license to own a TV, but you must get license to own and use a tv receiver.
    and if you install a tv receiver without using it, I guess its your fault for not reporting that it is not being used.
    Last edited by michhy; 19th June 2006 at 04:07 PM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Myfz1
    Sorry hor not all choose to pay n pay, only 66.6%

    On another note , what about those living in 1 or 2 room flats who don't have TV, and are not educated to write in and declare they have no TV. Are they being fined? I bet you they are. Way to go MDA , make money from the poor and uneducated.
    i beg to differ. dun forget the walk overs. if all wards are contested, maybe only 55%, my optimistic guess.

  13. #33

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    I think the facts of this story have been misrepresented, and blown out of proportion.

    The guy was not "fined for not having a TV". He did not pay his TV licence but did not inform MDA that he had ceased to have a TV. As a result, he received a summons for not paying his TV licence.

    At first sight, you might think this is unfair. Why should we have to inform MDA when we cease to own a TV? But come to think of it, this "opt out" system is not uncommon. When you cease to use your broadband or mobile line, are you entitled to stop payment on the grounds that you no longer use the service, without informing the service provider? It's in their Ts & Cs that you will have to continue to pay, whether you use the service or not. Likewise, I suspect the TV Licence contains a similar provision.

    Only one licence is required per house. A PC with a TV card which can receive TV programmes falls within the definition of broacasting television receiver and a licence is required. If you do not already have a TV licence, you will need to get one. A separate radio licence is required for vehicles.

    There was debate some years back on whether the government should continue to collect radio and tv licences. The amount collected is not insignificant. These monies are used to fund Public Service Broadcast (PSB) programmes such as arts and culture, current affairs, quality dramas, info-educational, sports, children and minority language programmes.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    The person who came out this policy is "dumb"......the people (no idea who are the committees anyway) who approved this policy is "dumber"........so we all must succumb to these "Dumb & Dumber"

  15. #35
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    More good years!
    5 more to be exact
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    AFAIK, car is a must with TV/RADIO license when you got Car's license.
    I never listen to radio, yet I have to pay for the radio license everytime I renew my road-tax. There is no opt-out. For me, this is a "forced donation".
    How about those handphones with radio, shall they pay radio license too?

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    I never listen to radio, yet I have to pay for the radio license everytime I renew my road-tax. There is no opt-out. For me, this is a "forced donation".
    How about those handphones with radio, shall they pay radio license too?
    No need. Consider you already pay it with your house TV/Radio License... .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  18. #38

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by tao
    Of course he will get fined... well, if he doesn't have a TV set, he still need to inform MDA so that he doesn't have to pay the TV licensing fee.
    hahahahaha, don't you just love the way the govt works? Aren't you guys even angry?

    Whilst this is ultimately a small issue, it speaks volumes of how we're run

  19. #39

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by tks
    There was debate some years back on whether the government should continue to collect radio and tv licences. The amount collected is not insignificant. These monies are used to fund Public Service Broadcast (PSB) programmes such as arts and culture, current affairs, quality dramas, info-educational, sports, children and minority language programmes.
    Quality dramas? Like which ones? ;-)

    I thought our national tv broadcaster is a pure commercial enterprise?

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: No TV can get fined ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Quality dramas? Like which ones? ;-)

    I thought our national tv broadcaster is a pure commercial enterprise?
    'LOST' and 'DESPERATE HOUSEWIVE' maybe .

    Regards,
    Arto.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •