Thread: Film for actual day wedding?

Default Film for actual day wedding?

With the popularity of digital camera, wondering is there couples insist on film for their wedding photos these days? hmmmm???....

Or they just simply let the photographer to decide on digital?

Default Re: Film for actual day wedding?

so far only the malay couples would want film, not even the indians

chinese couples are 100% digital, They would insist on it.

interestingly too, malay weddings are served primarily by part timers ( uncles who dont shoot more than 3 rolls per year )
    Only a handful of true wedding photographers

Only malay would want film? Now thats generalising things. Malays primarily served by part timers? There you go again. Also have you seen the quality the so-called film uncles are giving? I think better than your wedding portfolio. They don't need digital or a website to shoot better.

shooting film is harder than shooting digital. Dynamic range aside.

Composition & Exposure is harder to anticipate, and u can't do cropping on every pics for film, neither can you do those artistic psing...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by EOS10D

interestingly too, malay weddings are served primarily by part timers ( uncles who dont shoot more than 3 rolls per year )
    i wonder what is your sample size on that.

Quote Originally Posted by hanafi
    Only malay would want film? Now thats generalising things. Malays primarily served by part timers? There you go again. Also have you seen the quality the so-called film uncles are giving? I think better than your wedding portfolio. They don't need digital or a website to shoot better.
    hmmz...

besides the recent series of the malay wedding recently..
    cant really find other other series of malay wedding..

but quite true leh..
    cos dont really see pro-photographers during the malay weddings that i have attended so far....

well..maybe you should ask these uncles you know so well to set up websites so that we can all go "wow"....

some uncles also have very little patience and quick tempered

they go off topic very fast too,
    we are talking about shooting film for wedding,....bro, not website for wedding
    These uncles think can use website to shoot wedding....die already lah

Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    With the popularity of digital camera, wondering is there couples insist on film for their wedding photos these days? hmmmm???....

The insistence for film truly tests the skill for photographers.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Now this would be generalising too much. Not all Chinese would insist on Digital.

For eg. My bro-in-law INSISTED on using a film photographer for his AD wedding last year. He was not satisfied by the picture quality produced by digital after seeing his studio shoot which was taken by a DSLR. My point is that there are still some people(any race) who prefer film prints quality. Most people usually don't really bother what medium was used to take the photo, just as long as it turns out fine. The only problem is that most photographers have turn to digital, thus limiting customers choices. It is the savings on both parties that is attractive for using digital. There are some budget people who only want to have their wedding images stored in a CD without any prints.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Teo

AFAIK, only two type of couples still want film for their wedding day photos.

First one is the high end customers, they willing to pay top dollars, just want film and prints from negative, noting else.

Second is the low end customers, they still think film photography is cheaper then digital photography. eg, $480 for 8 rolls.

I spoke to a Malay photographer before and he did say that Malays (customers and photographers alike) prefer film. However, that was about 2 years ago, when Chinese photographers by and large already went digital. I'm fairly close to the Malay community and I've been to quite a few weddings. Just within this year, I've seen 2 photographers covering AD using film SLR. However, digital is also fast catching up, even though some Malay photographers have also been using DSLRs for quite some time already.

Back to the original query: Film on AD? According to the habits of the pros, they've gone all digital. And if the customer wants film, they will sell the idea of digital until it goes through.

But some customers may want film because of privacy concerns (I am guessing so, lah). Shoot already, hand over rolls immediately. This kind of people, I try to steer clear even though I still have film equipment. Then there are also others who scared your CF card get corrupted and "sekali lose all the images, then how?"
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Hmm.... I thought for film its shoot liaoz, send it for processing and den hand over the negs with hardcopy prints? Anyway, I do hear concerns about corrupted CFs from 1 or 2 people though most don't really ask me about it (the issue of corrupted CFs) beforehand.

There are some who insist on film for a wrong reason though.... I'm not sure if working pro photographers heard it before.

"Use film is good and pro. Cos u cannot edit the images. Use digital is cheating and not pro because u can edit."
    Last edited by jsbn; 18th June 2006 at 10:35 AM.

I prefer slides flim. Overall setting must be damn "zun". No preview after taking..Just trust ourself... Ai yah..flim or digital not important lah. Is the " MAN" behind the camera.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Clues
    I prefer slides flim. Overall setting must be damn "zun". No preview after taking..Just trust ourself... Ai yah..flim or digital not important lah. Is the " MAN" behind the camera.
    Yeah, and your couples will love the cost of the prints too.

What a load of nonsense, your comments are laced with racial slurs. Did you even know that?

My own wedding was shot in film. Recently I went for a malay wedding and it was shot in digital.

If shoot in film and later can scan to digital too, so you can get both....seems ideal...

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    AFAIK, only two type of couples still want film for their wedding day photos.

First one is the high end customers, they willing to pay top dollars, just want film and prints from negative, noting else.

Second is the low end customers, they still think film photography is cheaper then digital photography. eg, $480 for 8 rolls.

Quite interesting to read this ....hmmm
    both of the extreme ends of the market.

Actually i tried to imitate film effect using some digital post-production.
    Most people ( non-photog ) cant tell the difference but lab girls can, and some uncles ( must give them some credits )

I have recently gone back to shooting film too, and actually its easier
    and much faster ( workflow wise )
    There is a certain nice feel to it though not necessarily better or worse ( for both digital or film )

I have a tough time persuading wedding couples to go film,,,,they would ask : "but why......." ( and give me that kind of look, "are you trying to cheat me" )

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    What a load of nonsense, your comments are laced with racial slurs. Did you even know that?
    if i replace "malay" with "chinese"
    Does it still contain racial slur ? ? ?

Quite interesting to read this ....hmmm
    both of the extreme ends of the market.

Actually i tried to imitate film effect using some digital post-production.
    Most people ( non-photog ) cant tell the difference but lab girls can, and some uncles ( must give them some credits )

I have recently gone back to shooting film too, and actually its easier
    and much faster ( workflow wise )
    There is a certain nice feel to it though not necessarily better or worse ( for both digital or film )

I have a tough time persuading wedding couples to go film,,,,they would ask : "but why......." ( and give me that kind of look, "are you trying to cheat me" )
    Its going to be doubly hard when either or both bride and groom are NOT photographers to know the quality difference, pros and cons between both media.