Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting with light tent

Default Re: Shooting with light tent

Quote Originally Posted by heroneo99
    Pai say, saw yr second reply first then saw this one.

Thanks much, my pic better maybe only in image quality ba. ha. The thing is i hv to do some PS b4 getting what I wan, and sometimes it is alot of PS ...

so it is mainly the white balance ? I was thinking whether it is I must shine the more lights directly on the bg to get white.

I will check out the white balance thingys you suggested. Thanks!
    i encounter same problem with u b4... anyway, the more lights u add, the more problems will arise.. the lesser the lights, the easier to shoot. of course, have to give & take...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    i encounter same problem with u b4... anyway, the more lights u add, the more problems will arise.. the lesser the lights, the easier to shoot. of course, have to give & take...
    Noted, I jus checked out the white balance tool in Raw, its good. Thanks.

btw i jus noticed, that the yellow cast might be due to the colors of the wall.. hehe.. but the greenis tint in other photos i dun know y yet. but i guess changing the WB might solve the green tint also.

Jus that I still dun really know how to get a good white bg w/o over exposing the subject..

Noted, I jus checked out the white balance tool in Raw, its good. Thanks.

btw i jus noticed, that the yellow cast might be due to the colors of the wall.. hehe.. but the greenis tint in other photos i dun know y yet. but i guess changing the WB might solve the green tint also.

Jus that I still dun really know how to get a good white bg w/o over exposing the subject..
    u need a light meter for metering, and also get a nice even lighting with multiple lights... (pros dun shoot me hor... unless he can afford a super big soft box with heavy power flash)

anyway my method to making nice background is... use a light underneath... really... i go find my old pic...

also, the green tint, i think its due to the fluorescent light, as i read b4, ppl say tis kinda light will have green tint, but i can't see, so i dunno, last time i buy flw-b or flw-a to remove that (just a precaution) but its useless nevertheless... haha... during that wasting money period...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

something like tis... top bottom lighting... just 2 lights...

this is my product pic, so have to do tis... else ppl will use it for their catalog... paiseh

u need a light meter for metering, and also get a nice even lighting with multiple lights... (pros dun shoot me hor... unless he can afford a super big soft box with heavy power flash)

anyway my method to making nice background is... use a light underneath... really... i go find my old pic...

also, the green tint, i think its due to the fluorescent light, as i read b4, ppl say tis kinda light will have green tint, but i can't see, so i dunno, last time i buy flw-b or flw-a to remove that (just a precaution) but its useless nevertheless... haha... during that wasting money period...
    Thanks so much for all yr replies. Right now am still struggling with getting the correct lighting using the light tent, but might consider making a small light box so that can get light from underneath like u suggested.

Thanks!

to heroneo99,
    #1, you wb is out. to be perfect, you can shoot a 18% gray card inside the shot as reference.
    #2, you can't have pure white (255,255,255) in a white background, no matter how many lights you add, without overexposed your subject.
    #3, add a light in bottom will have a bottom lighting effect even it is very low density.
    #4, if you want a pure white backgound, have to do it in photoshop.

to DCA,
    Use only one type of light source, you can't fix the white balance of mixed lighting
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks much Catchlights,

Can I jus confrim that background of photos like these are probably tweaked with PS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    to heroneo99,
    #1, you wb is out. to be perfect, you can shoot a 18% gray card inside the shot as reference.
    #2, you can't have pure white (255,255,255) in a white background, no matter how many lights you add, without overexposed your subject.
    #3, add a light in bottom will have a bottom lighting effect even it is very low density.
    #4, if you want a pure white backgound, have to do it in photoshop.

to DCA,
    Use only one type of light source, you can't fix the white balance of mixed lighting

Thanks much Catchlights,

Can I jus confrim that background of photos like these are probably tweaked with PS?

Thanks
    mine not... hehehe...

Thanks much Catchlights,

Thanks
    no, DCA also lite the item from below.
    so he get pure white background, and a secondary highlight on the item from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    no, DCA also lite the item from below.
    so he get pure white background, and a secondary highlight on the item from the bottom.
    just to add.. mine is glass table, with a flash on softbox underneath for soft lighting, and then have a translum backdrop... 1 flash on top with softbox... iirc thats the setup... the simplest already... my skill level only tis much nia...

Thanks Catchlights and DCA !

which light tent and lighting are recommended for food/product photography?

thks

Quote Originally Posted by championboxer
    which light tent and lighting are recommended for food/product photography?

thks
    not going to spoon feed... but there isn't any 1 lighting tent and/or lighting that can do multi purpose.

food photography does not need light tent. only stuff that are reflective in nature needs light tent, but tat said, not everything use light tent also can, for eg, reflective sphere, cylinder, could not use light tent that have visible structure like those cheap tents. it boils back to skills when shooting those.

Smile Re: Shooting with light tent

do you really need a soft box? consider using tracing paper. look out for unwanted picture frames. they are excellent for stretching tracing paper.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda
    oh, that's encouraging. how powerful is ur flash? nikon sb-26/sb-28 good enough? and how big ur light tent? thinking of getting a 30cm x 30cm one. is it big enough? thx.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 21st September 2006 at 11:30 AM.

not going to spoon feed... but there isn't any 1 lighting tent and/or lighting that can do multi purpose.

food photography does not need light tent. only stuff that are reflective in nature needs light tent, but tat said, not everything use light tent also can, for eg, reflective sphere, cylinder, could not use light tent that have visible structure like those cheap tents. it boils back to skills when shooting those.
    yes, light tent was intended to use on highly reflective objects, but because of lot of people selling things online, want a cheap and quick way to shoot products, hence light tent are so popular now.

i see...

thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123