Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with light tent

Default Re: Shooting with light tent

Quote Originally Posted by clubgrit
    I just ordered the Photoflex First Studio Product Kit, from Cathay Photo, $420 before GST.
    Deep pockets. Of the sum, I reckon you're paying about 75% for the convenience, 25% for the goods.

For that sum I can get a basic 2 strobe kit or 1 300WS monobloc.
    Last edited by solarii; 20th June 2006 at 12:55 PM.

if i have the $ i don't mind paying that for convenience.

Trust me, I know. Which is what I sell really. Convenience.

They said more or less two weeks. First time they're bringing it in, I think. Just hope it comes in earlier.

Well, yes, convenience is important to me, just have so little time, 24 hours is not enough Couldn't find any other product kit for 24 hours easily available except this one (most were strobes). There was another US100 kit, but it was less convenient.

Solarii is spot on regarding convenience and price. But since photography is mostly about light anyway, being able to control light reasonably well is my consolation for paying the price Better pictures in less time will be the reward.

It's actually much more convenient to hire someone to do all this, but they charge us $500 - $1000 for a product, and we have many products, so better do it ourselves. It's great fun actually, and more fulfilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha
    I did went to Ikea n bought some lights. It's good but the only prob as u mentioned it's not convenient. Anyway I called CP and yup they only sell it as a kit.

When are you collecting yours?
    Last edited by clubgrit; 20th June 2006 at 02:24 PM.

2 weeks?! I don't have 2 weeks. Sigh, I just have to think of ways to improvise then.

2 weeks?! I don't have 2 weeks. Sigh, I just have to think of ways to improvise then.
    For the 2 bulbs that you have just got, place them a distance from the tent and shoot. Playing around with the placement of the bulbs will allow you to control the shadows and intensity of light. This is how you get the "3D" effect.

Depending on how much wattage is your bulbs, try, place one bulb on top say 20cm from top of tent. Place 2nd bulb say 30cm from left of tent. Place a white cardboard to the right of subject inside the tent to reflect some light back.... vary the distance to control how much shadow you want. Play around with it... should be easy if you are in digital.

I bought these 2 lights by mistake.............actually they are bright enough it's 100W but but i bought the wall mount type of lights! there's no stand!

I bought these 2 lights by mistake.............actually they are bright enough it's 100W but but i bought the wall mount type of lights! there's no stand!
    Wow! Then you gotta ask someone to help you to hold.... or use a tripod to help you to hold...

hahaha..........it's bendable, so i wondering if i can get 2 stands like tripod kind n use a clamo or hook.something to hold it in place.......it should work great this way i think..........

Quote Originally Posted by clubgrit
    It's actually much more convenient to hire someone to do all this, but they charge us $500 - $1000 for a product, and we have many products, so better do it ourselves. It's great fun actually, and more fulfilling.
    Oh you're buying it for commercial use? Then of course the cash is no prob. The equipment will pay for itself in terms of sales generated and money/time saved.

If you're doing it as a hobby and not generating any revenue like me, prob. want to keep costs low...

$500 per product? That's outrageous if all you want is a simple catalogue cut-out.

Haha maybe I should cut into this lucrative market... $12 a product, min 10 items. Pros will kill me!
    Last edited by solarii; 20th June 2006 at 06:18 PM.

are your products large? If not why not try those ac slave flash? They are sold as 2 units per box and come with clamps so you basically need chairs or ladders to clamp them on. I can't remember exactly how much I bought them, or where I got them, but I think 2 boxes cost me less than $150. somewhere in the peninsular plaza area ( I think its the shop opp CP, if the shops are still the same). I have yet to use my lights, so don't know how useful they are. They are rated at GN20, but you could couple them up for more power I guess.

Just in case you are interested, its called Home Studio Lighting Kit (WOC K-2020). I managed to find a pic of it on the internet, though it is not in english. http://www.sfo.co.il/user/department.php?d_id=23
    Last edited by MDZ2; 21st June 2006 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    are your products large? If not why not try those ac slave flash? They are sold as 2 units per box and come with clamps so you basically need chairs or ladders to clamp them on. I can't remember exactly how much I bought them, or where I got them, but I think 2 boxes cost me less than $150. somewhere in the peninsular plaza area ( I think its the shop opp CP, if the shops are still the same). I have yet to use my lights, so don't know how useful they are. They are rated at GN20, but you could couple them up for more power I guess.

Just in case you are interested, its called Home Studio Lighting Kit (WOC K-2020). I managed to find a pic of it on the internet, though it is not in english. http://www.sfo.co.il/user/department.php?d_id=23
    My products are not that huge. this thing looks pretty interesting, is this in Hebrew? I prob look around this weekend. Thanks alot!

Not sure what language it was. I was surprised to find that my other 2 studio lights with modeling lights came from the same company. Still not sure who makes them though. Anyway, Good luck on your search.
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a shop opp CP which deals in all kinds of second hand photography stuff, not just cameras. I am not sure if its still around, but that's where I got my 2 other strobes. the sls3001-ML and 4001 (first hand). Got a lot of nick nacks there like medium and large format camera and what do you call those things with bellows? Copiers?

Hi all, I thought itz better i continue this thread than start a new one since it is related.

Recently bought a simple light tent, got 2 cheap table lamps with about 100W bulb.

I got some problems regarding taking products with white background. It seems always difficult to get a nice white bg like i see in other ppl's photos. I always get a some tints of other colors, (grey or sometimes green).

I was thinking whether it could be bec of my lousy lamps?

Attached is a pic of what i was trying to acheive and the results.

From left to right ... 1)What I wanted 2)What I took 3) After PS

How was the original pic captured? The color of the mouse and the white bg seems natural. I always have to use PS to adjust b4 i get a white bg, which sometimes results in the subjects over exposed.

Any kinda help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by heroneo99
    Hi all, I thought itz better i continue this thread than start a new one since it is related.

Recently bought a simple light tent, got 2 cheap table lamps with about 100W bulb.

I got some problems regarding taking products with white background. It seems always difficult to get a nice white bg like i see in other ppl's photos. I always get a some tints of other colors, (grey or sometimes green).

I was thinking whether it could be bec of my lousy lamps?

Attached is a pic of what i was trying to acheive and the results.

From left to right ... 1)What I wanted 2)What I took 3) After PS

How was the original pic captured? The color of the mouse and the white bg seems natural. I always have to use PS to adjust b4 i get a white bg, which sometimes results in the subjects over exposed.

Any kinda help is very much appreciated. Thanks!
    i'm color blind, but i think your pics look better... hehe...

but to sumarise this, i think your white balance is off in your 2nd shot, and white balance off, no matter what u try to do, its still off... but from my eyes, the left shot seem like a greyscale shot. or is the subject in monochrome in the 1st place...

try these steps, hopefully might help...

u try to shoot raw, go into photoshop, select the white balance tool, find the white area & voila... white balance locked...

else, if your camera can preset white balance, take a white card or point at the white background, fire a shot with white balance setting, it will get the effect.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

oh ya 1 more thing... most of us shoot in white light... so if your bulb is yellow, of course tend to be 'off' abit...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    oh ya 1 more thing... most of us shoot in white light... so if your bulb is yellow, of course tend to be 'off' abit...
    erm.. i shoot with daylight bulbs leh.. sometimes even hv a bit green..

Quote Originally Posted by heroneo99
    erm.. i shoot with daylight bulbs leh.. sometimes even hv a bit green..
    daylight will be yellowish?

anyway if i use fluorescent will be cool white.

i'm color blind, but i think your pics look better... hehe...

but to sumarise this, i think your white balance is off in your 2nd shot, and white balance off, no matter what u try to do, its still off... but from my eyes, the left shot seem like a greyscale shot. or is the subject in monochrome in the 1st place...

try these steps, hopefully might help...

u try to shoot raw, go into photoshop, select the white balance tool, find the white area & voila... white balance locked...

else, if your camera can preset white balance, take a white card or point at the white background, fire a shot with white balance setting, it will get the effect.
    Pai say, saw yr second reply first then saw this one.

Thanks much, my pic better maybe only in image quality ba. ha. The thing is i hv to do some PS b4 getting what I wan, and sometimes it is alot of PS ...

so it is mainly the white balance ? I was thinking whether it is I must shine the more lights directly on the bg to get white.

I will check out the white balance thingys you suggested. Thanks!

daylight will be yellowish?

anyway if i use fluorescent will be cool white.
    dun know leh.. i shot with some room lights, plus the table lamps. The room lights also is florensent. hmm...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast