Thread: Please advice on some issues.

Question Please advice on some issues.

Hi

I'd like to know if a diffuse filter would help soften the pictures shot on a sunny afternoon?

Where is a good place to get these filters and what is the price range like?

Interested in a lens hood for my 75-300mm EF lens too. Can anyone suggest a good place to buy them?

Whats the difference between the built in flash and a mounted flash. How does it impact the photos. I normally shoot outdoor, and seldom used flash.

Using a Canon 350D.

Default Re: Please advice on some issues.

any good camera shop should have a range of filters..
    can check with all the usual suspects here - alan photo, john 3:16, ms color, cathay etc.

price wise, it really varies from the cheap side - 20 bucks or thereabouts and if you want expensive can go for B+W which can set u back maybe as much as 3 figures..

you can also check these places for lens hood.

as for built in flash and mounted flash... there is quite a big difference..
    first, built in flash has very limited range. a mounted flash is more powerful.. so gives you more shooting range.. it can also allow you to adjust the flash firing angle i.e bounce, so theres less shadow and harsh flash light directly on the subject.

with some accessories, you can also position the flash off camera..

even outdoors, a flash is sometimes helpful to fill in light - where you have say the sun behind the subject and there are areas of deep shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    any good camera shop should have a range of filters..
    can check with all the usual suspects here - alan photo, john 3:16, ms color, cathay etc.

price wise, it really varies from the cheap side - 20 bucks or thereabouts and if you want expensive can go for B+W which can set u back maybe as much as 3 figures..

you can also check these places for lens hood.

as for built in flash and mounted flash... there is quite a big difference..
    first, built in flash has very limited range. a mounted flash is more powerful.. so gives you more shooting range.. it can also allow you to adjust the flash firing angle i.e bounce, so theres less shadow and harsh flash light directly on the subject.

with some accessories, you can also position the flash off camera..

even outdoors, a flash is sometimes helpful to fill in light - where you have say the sun behind the subject and there are areas of deep shadow.
    Thanks a lot ..very helpful indeed!

Deregistered

I think you're looking for a soft filter to produce that dreamy look, you can look for the Nikon Soft-1 filters. They don't come cheap though, but the effect is good.

Use software..? FOC..

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I think you're looking for a soft filter to produce that dreamy look, you can look for the Nikon Soft-1 filters. They don't come cheap though, but the effect is good.
    not really looking for a soft filter...i can tweak around PS to get it. I was looking for something to shoot which wont cast bright highlights and shadows. Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by funkydonkey
    Hi

I'd like to know if a diffuse filter would help soften the pictures shot on a sunny afternoon?

Where is a good place to get these filters and what is the price range like?

Interested in a lens hood for my 75-300mm EF lens too. Can anyone suggest a good place to buy them?

Whats the difference between the built in flash and a mounted flash. How does it impact the photos. I normally shoot outdoor, and seldom used flash.

Using a Canon 350D.
    Don't waste the $$$ on diffuser filter.
    Due to the un-even surface on the filter, the object is somehow like out-of-focus.

Soften Filter is slightly better.
    Got both filters from Cathay Photo. The bigger the thread, the more costly....

not really looking for a soft filter...i can tweak around PS to get it. I was looking for something to shoot which wont cast bright highlights and shadows. Thanks anyway
    I don't think there is a filter that will reduce the effects of harsh lighting. You should be using fill-flash with difuser or bounce card to reduce the effect of ambient harsh lighting. Reflectors are also good for adding more diffused light source falling onthe subject.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    I don't think there is a filter that will reduce the effects of harsh lighting. You should be using fill-flash with difuser or bounce card to reduce the effect of ambient harsh lighting. Reflectors are also good for adding more diffused light source falling onthe subject.

Thanks again ..very helpful. Wish I'd known about this forum earlier on before I could buy my equipment..Would have made a sensible buy....but nothing to regret.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeElliot
    Don't waste the $$$ on diffuser filter.
    Due to the un-even surface on the filter, the object is somehow like out-of-focus.

Soften Filter is slightly better.
    Got both filters from Cathay Photo. The bigger the thread, the more costly....

Thanks for the tip.

Find a open shade, or shoot in overcast day, That's how I shoot outdoor portraits.