Thread: 72 DPI Image

Default 72 DPI Image

Hi all,

I need some professional advice on a 72 DPI image.

I jus receive my wedding photos in digital format.
    The properties for each photos are as follows:

Format : JPEG
    Width : 3504 pixels
    Height : 2336 pixels
    Resolution : 72 dpi
    Camera : Canon EOS 20D

With the low dpi, am I able to develop a 30" by 24" photo?
    Wouldnt a low dpi affect the quality of the print when develop?
    Why is the dpi so low?
    Normally it would be 150 - 300 dpi?

I've checked with the bridal studio and they maintain their stand that this is the original files and its possible to develop the photos without compromising the quality.

*I am new to this forum and photography.

Thanks!

Default Re: 72 DPI Image

Quote Originally Posted by marcusli
    Hi all,

I need some professional advice on a 72 DPI image.

I jus receive my wedding photos in digital format.
    The properties for each photos are as follows:

Format : JPEG
    Width : 3504 pixels
    Height : 2336 pixels
    Resolution : 72 dpi
    Camera : Canon EOS 20D

With the low dpi, am I able to develop a 30" by 24" photo?
    Wouldnt a low dpi affect the quality of the print when develop?
    Why is the dpi so low?
    Normally it would be 150 - 300 dpi?

I've checked with the bridal studio and they maintain their stand that this is the original files and its possible to develop the photos without compromising the quality.

*I am new to this forum and photography.

Thanks!
    For a digital image in soft copy, the dpi has no meaning at all. What is important is the actual number of pixels. When you want to print it out then do the dpi make sense. For a 3504x2336 image, it can give you 35.04" x 23.36" at 100dpi, so it doesn't really matter that the 72dpi is encoded in the image.

Default Re: 72 DPI Image

A digital image captured by a scanner or digital camera may have an intended resolution (in pixels per inch), but this need not correspond to the DPI at which it is printed. For example, a 10001000-pixel image could be printed at 44 inches and 250 pixels per inch, or at 1010 inches and 100 pixels per inch. Digital images contain some number of pixels; the size at which they are printed is relatively arbitrary. When someone asks for a "300 DPI image", they may be expecting an image with 300 pixels per inch of printed output; unless the size of the printed output is known beforehand, the measurement is meaningless. A more complete specification would include the desired print size in addition to the number of desired pixels per inch. A yet more complete specification would also include the DPI capability of the printer that will be used to print the image; if the printer is only capable of faithfully reproducing 100 pixels per inch, there is no reason to use a higher-resolution image.