Thread: Places of interest in Melaka (Malacca)

Default Places of interest in Melaka (Malacca)

Hi all,

I am going to Melaka in the beginning of July. Anybody went there before? What's nice over there? I mainly go there for relaxation, but of course will take some pics too whenever possible

Also, anybody knows how to get around there by bus?

Default Re: Places of interest in Melaka (Malacca)

Just do a quick search in the forum on "Malacca" or "Melaka" and you can find plenty of information.

Anyway, I can't say for much, but two places you should go visit include:
    - Jonker Walk, the "chinatown" of Malacca. I suggest that you walk off the main street and explore the whole area. The famous Christ Church Melaka is also around the area.
    - Portuguese Square for a decent seafood dinner.

Transport I suggest taxi (~RM10-20 depending on destination), or on foot. Most of the places of interests are actually within walking distance from each other. If you're feeling rich you can get a trishaw ride, but do be wise and do some bargaining.

There's not much of shopping to do there, since the malls there are more or less the same as the ones found in Singapore.
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 16th June 2006 at 02:36 PM.

when in the old quarter, best to walk. Traffic jams are common.

Check out the Cheng Ho Museum, the rooftop is not a bad place if you want to take a panoramic shot of the Old District.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Walking is the best method of transportation around the town. The roads are too narrow to drive esp if you are not familiar.

The Red Christ Church can never be missed by any visitor, too striking liao. Jonker street is a great place to look for handicraft and antique. Just grab a map from the tourist information center and you will know where to go. Visit the Historical potugese fort, the replica of the Cheng Ho's warship.

Must try the Nonya Peranakan food there or the chicken rice balls.

Had not been there for a 2 years liao. Use to drive there just to have lunch.

Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock ( Heeren Street )

Malaccan here.. Malacca is a great place to eat and sleep. Maybe walk around in the touristy spots. Portugese settlement great place for makan and sunset shots.

If you are driving, (or if you are staying at Riviera Bay Hotel) go to this place called 'Berts'. Killer Nasi Lemak and Ikan Panggang.

If you want really cheap and good seafood, go to this place called 'Muara Sungai Duyong' for a feast!! You select the seafood you want and they will panggang for you. Cheap and good. There are a few restaurants there. Go to the FIRST one you see.

wow, never knew there were so many places to visit in melaka

anyway, thanks a lot guys. I will try to visit as many of them as I could

St Paul's Church ruins.

Also ruins of the old fort and a reconstructed old wooden istana.