Thread: MRT Station

Deregistered

Default MRT Station

Hi all, this was taken in the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station using my recently acquired Panasonic Lumix FZ10. All comments and criticisms are welcomes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61301244@N00/167014999/

Default Re: MRT Station

took a look at the rest of the gallery and U seem to have an eye for intersecting lines... I think the shot is both busy (alotta objects) and not busy enough (a few people)

maybe a reshoot would be good to try more angles, repeat the slower shutter speed with more people to add more 'motion' & color.

A nitpick is the WB but I'm viewing on an uncalibrated monitor...

the shot isnt attention grabbing but I see the potential of the subject. =)

Not related to the photo... but if you are at Dhoby Ghaut MRT, do take a moment to look at the murals. They are quite nice.

They were fashioned by Delia Prvaki based on sketches by Milenko:

http://milenko.prvacki.com/work/index.php

They are a husband and wife team. Delia does sculptures while Milenko paints in various mediums. They were from the former Yugoslavia. Think it was Serbia...

Regarding the picture, I feel that the lighting in the MRT station isn't very good for taking pictures of this sort. It's rather low light, with many different lights (some tungsten, some fluorescent), so it is very difficult to get the white balance right, even if you manipulate it digitally. So, it is very difficult to get a nice shot. If you try to manipulate it digitally, you will need several layers of filters, some cooling and some warming... with careful use of masks. It's a very tedious affair. Personally, I'd only do that if the picture is better composed.

I'm sure you are trying to get some effect with the intersecting lines, so I'll leave that alone so as not to interfere with your artistic freedom.

However, I feel that there are too many subjects with motion blur around. There's some on top, and some at the bottom, so they get a bit distracting. I think 1 or 2 subjects moving in the same direction would be nice... but not too many.

Deregistered

Thanks for the comments guys

For the white balance issue, it was a mistake on my part. After setting the white balance on a custom setting for the previous shots in SAM, I didn't reset the white balance Viewing the picture on my calibrated (using Adobe Software) LCD on my laptop, the picture shows a yellowish tinge to it.

With regards to the composition and lightning, I was riding on the up escalator in the foreground and thought that the lines intersecting were interesting and so I went and took a shot. When I got to location, I realised that the lightning was terrible as pointed out but I took it anyway, with half my body hanging over the edge of the railing (I'm about 188 cm tall so I got half of me over the edge looking at a 10m plus plunge )

Anyway, keep the comments coming
    Last edited by rapier84; 16th June 2006 at 01:17 PM.