Thread: Help - How 2 avoid Photo Lab cropping parts of photo ?

Default Help - How 2 avoid Photo Lab cropping parts of photo ?

Hi all

How do I ensure that a photo taken on a Full-Frame Canon 5D and which I've worked on in Photoshop can be printed out in it's entirety, on standard Paper sizes like 4R, 8R etc. ?

The last few times I've gone to a photo lab to print out such pictures, the staff have informed me that they will need to resize the image to fit the paper, or worse still.....that they'll need to crop the edges in order to get the image to fit

If I want to, for example, print a photo in 8R sized paper, do I just I set the Canvas size in Photoshop as follows:

Is this all I'll need to do to ensure the final image I see in Photoshop will printout without any problem on a standard 8R paper ?

Thanks in advance.

MANoj

Deregistered

Default Re: Help - How 2 avoid Photo Lab cropping parts of photo ?

Use the marquee tool.

Select the marquee tool (m), up above select Fixed Ratio, input 8 for width and 10 for height (which ever is longer just vice versa).

Now drag across the image, the parts that will be cropped will be shown darkened, the rest will appear as is.

Select Image->Crop, now you have a 8R sized image. Send this file for print.

Thanks for that

Will give it a go.

Cheers

MANoj

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Use the marquee tool.

Select the marquee tool (m), up above select Fixed Ratio, input 8 for width and 10 for height (which ever is longer just vice versa).

Now drag across the image, the parts that will be cropped will be shown darkened, the rest will appear as is.

Select Image->Crop, now you have a 8R sized image. Send this file for print.

Its not always that simple. Most photolabs will crop anyway even if you take all precautions to ensure that your photo is of the correct aspect ratio as their paper. The best bet is to oversee the printing process, aka printing your own pictures.

for 2:3 ratio image, you don't have to crop down to 4R for print, since 4R is also 2:3 ratio.

For 8R paper, the ratio is 8:10, or 4:5 or 1:1.5, do what espn suggest will do.

As othe size paper like 5R, 6R, they are not 2:3 ratio, can follow the same steps, ratio for 5R is 5:7, 6R is 6:8, or 3:4.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    For 8R paper, the ratio is 8:10, or 4:5 or 1:1.5, do what espn suggest will do.
    slight typo... should be 1:1.25

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    slight typo... should be 1:1.25
    Opps, made a mistake, thanks for pointing out.

Thanks for the imput everyone

very much appreciated.

Cheers

MANoj

Hi d12go4,

espn, catchlights, mpenza are right with what they say if you go to a lab that has their printer well calibrated.

I run a Frontier 570 at work and at first there was a slight crop problem. Not very noticable but if you looked hard (1mm) it was there.

We had it re-calibrated and all is well.

If you enter your image via a "do it your self booth" .... we call them "pod's" ; select "zoom and crop", then select the size of print
    you will see if it will be cropped.

The down side to this is that there is auto correction applied and it can muck up under exposed photo's.

If we enter the photo file via the server for the customer (we have auto correction turned off at that point), then we may have to resize it to fit.

Generally we will run a test print first if we do it this way.

As an example of why people print their 6x4 prints with our system is that we charge 20cents per print, regardless of quantity.

1 or 1000 is all 20cents per print. The quality is very good, we look after our equipment .....

All maintainance is carried out by the book regularly, we run a calibration each morning and when ever a roll of paper is changed.

It ROCKS !!!

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

What is the address of your lab.?

Quote Originally Posted by LHMH
    What is the address of your lab.?
    see the place state under his avatar.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

From Australia. I didn't notice it. Thanks.