Thread: Auto-level using PS

Default Auto-level using PS

my monitor is not calibrated, is it safe to use auto-level with PS and sent for lab printing ? can PS do batch auto-level ? I noticed PS auto-level sometime can be inconsistent.
    Last edited by enyu; 14th June 2006 at 09:42 PM.

Default Re: auto-level using PS

Quote Originally Posted by enyu
    my monitor is not calibrated, is it safe to use auto-level with PS and sent for lab printing ? can PS do batch auto-level ? I noticed PS auto-level sometime can be inconsistent.
    you already have the answer.

anyway if this you want to do before send for printing, I suggest you just let the lab do the color and density correction for you, they sure can do better then auto level.

Your monitor might fail to show you if auto level happen to upset the colour cast.

http://www.indospectrum.com/articles...op/levels.html

I would just let the lab do it.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

thks guys... snap & send, sounds like a good idea.

Auto levels has about 60-70% hit rate which is pretty good as far as "auto" fixes come by these days.

That said, just let processing labs do their stuff. Can always reject if you don't like their work!

Whereas if you leave specific "no tweaking" instructions, they won't be held liable if you get less than satisfactory results.

What auto-level does is to spread out the histogram such that there are a sufficient percentage of pixels in the 100% black and 100% white regions. Some printers just apply their own levelling, so find out from your printer first.

It's best to avoid auto-levelling and do it manually for more control, even on an uncalibrated monitor.

Never expected digital photography can be that complicated... really miss SLR days..looks like I have got ALOT to learn from u guys.... in particular the PS.. thks

Never expected digital photography can be that complicated... really miss SLR days..looks like I have got ALOT to learn from u guys.... in particular the PS.. thks
    Well, it isn't complicated once you start asking questions to those who have better grasp on technical concepts. Personally, I'll be hanging around the darkroom and printing sub-forums as those are where I think I can help others the most, as well as learn new things from the great masters in this forum!

Default Re: Auto-level using PS

Thks PointBlue.. will visit DigiDarkroom more often..

To me, the journey from exposure to print in digital photography is very much similar to that in film photography.

In film photography, we just snap and send to the neighbourhood photo lab. All the wet chemical processing and image post-processing adjustments were carried out in the automated machine with or without the intervention of the operators, some of whom might be more experienced than others in assessing the need for image adjustments. And that's why we have our favorite photo labs - when we noticed that a particular lab turned out results better than others. Photographers who want to exhibit their work for competition, say, would send the film or negative to a professional printer who will carry out better post-processing adjustments in the darkroom to bring out the best in the image... and of course he charges more for his services.

In digital photgraphy, we now have to apportunity to do some of the post-processing work in our digital darkroom. So the final outcome now could depend on how good we are in applying digital post-processing techniques if we chose this path from exposure to print. We can of course do the same as in film photography and just snap and send to the neighbourhood digital photo lab. Again, we might observe that some digital labs are better than other depending on how skillful the operators of the automated printing machine are in assessing the need for post-processing adjustments for each print run or even each image if it's a reprint. In the world of digital photography, there are also professional printers who are more adept in digital post-processing techniques for those who want to get the best out of their images for competitions or exhibitions.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    In digital photgraphy, we now have to apportunity to do some of the post-processing work in our digital darkroom. So the final outcome now could depend on how good we are in applying digital post-processing techniques if we chose this path from exposure to print. We can of course do the same as in film photography and just snap and send to the neighbourhood digital photo lab. Again, we might observe that some digital labs are better than other depending on how skillful the operators of the automated printing machine are in assessing the need for post-processing adjustments for each print run or even each image if it's a reprint. In the world of digital photography, there are also professional printers who are more adept in digital post-processing techniques for those who want to get the best out of their images for competitions or exhibitions.
    Yes, except that you can be the "professional printmakers" yourself and leave the whole process within your control. Look at my thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=203235 for printing properly at home without using labs!

tks tomcat and tks again pointblue.... well said.. by the way is there any "GOOD" lab around in east of Singapore that i can rely on ???

WOW... PointBlue, you take the trouble waking up so early to type all these.... tks tks

Hi enyu!

Thanks for the compliments! I really do hope people read it, because it will help answer many of the questions out there frequently posed on this forum! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did creating it!

Keep learning!

printed it out liao..

using Auto-Level in PS may give you a better result but not the best

try &/or experiment with it

Quote Originally Posted by thobs
    using Auto-Level in PS may give you a better result but not the best
    try &/or experiment with it
    very true for me. i rather do experimental curves.