Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

  1. #1

    Default Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Hi guys, my friend wants to get a used DSLR but he doesnt have any friends who own these models and he wants to know the feel of the cameras and the functions.. Is there any places where we can go and try out the cameras 1st without obligation to purchase? I think Harvey Norman can right? I know there's some places where if u try without purchasing, the salesperson will give you a very black face or rude attitude..
    Last edited by aaron80; 14th June 2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Try John 3:16 in Funan. Nice ppl there. I got "hooked" on the D70s after touching it there for the first time...although always see it around. haha.

    Sad to say, I didnt buy from them......

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by tltan
    Try John 3:16 in Funan. Nice ppl there. I got "hooked" on the D70s after touching it there for the first time...although always see it around. haha.

    Sad to say, I didnt buy from them......
    I second that, very friendly people, ive tried gear there too

  4. #4
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    My friend's shop Aik Seng at Luck Plaza is ok. He often lets me test out lens without obligation.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    My friend's shop Aik Seng at Luck Plaza is ok. He often lets me test out lens without obligation.
    Because you know him ?

    Regards,
    Arto.

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Yeah, everybody go there to test... nobody buy, if somebody buys, that would be like a super-used equipment already.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    But if you do not try the camera 1st, you wun know whats it like mah.. Although u can read up on it in the internet eg. Dpreview, KRW.. But you still wun know how the camera feels like unless u have it in ur hands and fiddle abit with the menus and functions.. This is especially more essential if you do not have any friends who own the models you are interested.. That basically leave you with no choice but to just buy 1st and think later.. Wun it be better for shops to have a try-out model each for popular camera models for the consumers to try out?
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  8. #8
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    But if you do not try the camera 1st, you wun know whats it like mah.. Although u can read up on it in the internet eg. Dpreview, KRW.. But you still wun know how the camera feels like unless u have it in ur hands and fiddle abit with the menus and functions.. This is especially more essential if you do not have any friends who own the models you are interested.. That basically leave you with no choice but to just buy 1st and think later.. Wun it be better for shops to have a try-out model each for popular camera models for the consumers to try out?
    I'm sure many here didn't touch a D70 before buying one, they probably just placed reservation orders and awaited the arrival. Same for 300D. I know of a few D2X users who just grabbed theirs without prior touching of one. Hee.

    Having test sets eventually somebody also will end up purchasing that set. Who will cover the costs of the test set? Esp if it's a 1DS MKII or D2XS?

    If he wants to test he should meet up with the buyers to test their set first and see if it suits him. Why go to a shop test and not end up purchase from there? I find the theory of testing at shops then buying 2nd hand weird. I'd hate to have picked up a 100 people tried camera

    However, since he's looking for 2nd hand, why not head to TCW to test the 2nd hand sets there?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Yeah, everybody go there to test... nobody buy, if somebody buys, that would be like a super-used equipment already.
    lol

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Potong Pasir
    Posts
    540

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    can test at nikon show room?

    or jus for show only, since its SHOWroom...

    find friendly CSer that willing to let u touch their 3rd wife ( 1st is ur bmt rifle, 2nd is ur lawfully wedded, 3rd is their cam..... oops so lame )
    D70s-er Since 2005

  11. #11

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    Hi guys, my friend wants to get a used DSLR but he doesnt have any friends who own these models and he wants to know the feel of the cameras and the functions.. Is there any places where we can go and try out the cameras 1st without obligation to purchase? I think Harvey Norman can right? I know there's some places where if u try without purchasing, the salesperson will give you a very black face or rude attitude..
    lol of course u try out at the shop itself. if not where else?/

    black face? thats their problem. u have the right to try all over the place. all they have to do is to serve you. they cannot force u to buy.

  12. #12
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Because you know him ?

    Regards,
    Arto.
    No. He generally lets people try out before they buy. I notice this when ever I visit him and he's serving a customer.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    No. He generally lets people try out before they buy. I notice this when ever I visit him and he's serving a customer.
    Hmmm...

    Now if they let you try it out with w few shots with a few of the lenses and you really liked it, would you ask for another new set (boxed not opened) to buy?

    I have seen personally seen people do that.

    What would Clubsnappers here do?

    Worst...They go down to another shop and buy from them cos its $10 cheaper.
    Last edited by Caspere; 15th June 2006 at 02:56 PM.

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Actually most Singaporeans do that... they test one set and then ask for new set.

  15. #15
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    I usually don't do that if the items looks to be in good condition.

  16. #16
    Member grimicer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    they think that is a sample set.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Because here don't have money back guarantee?

    Regards,
    Arto.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,530

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Actually most Singaporeans do that... they test one set and then ask for new set.
    that is why there is always a mattress on display in Courts for u to jump up/down.

  19. #19
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Because here don't have money back guarantee?

    Regards,
    Arto.
    If have, most will buy a D2X or 1DS MKII, use it for an event then return it.

    Or buy DVDs, watch liao return.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Any places can try out cameras 1st before deciding to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    If have, most will buy a D2X or 1DS MKII, use it for an event then return it.

    Or buy DVDs, watch liao return.
    Our Asian student is notorious for that in Australia, USA.... . What to do ?

    Regards,
    Arto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •