Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens for wedding photography

Default Re: Lens for wedding photography

true true.

Actually, Aphotographer, are you intending to "shadow" the main photographer and learn from him? If yes, use a similar/wider range as him/her. If you're just shooting for fun, any lens goes as it depends on what you want to shoot.

When I'm shooting weddings for fun, I experiment with different lenses (ultra-wide - 10-22, fast primes - 20/1.8 or 35/2, macro lense - 100mm macro, tele-zoom 70-200, etc) depending on what I intend to capture. For more serious work (as main), I use ultrawide and/or normal zoom.

no im not a wedding photographer. but since ive got back into photography i guess i kinda notice equipment a bit more and quite a few of the weddings ive been to ive just noticed the use of longer zooms is all. from some of the discussions on these boards, i also notice that some CSers use them for weddings.

i guess the point is, there isnt one ideal lens to be used for a wedding. and seeing as the original poster only has 2 lenses, i didnt think it was necessarily the best thing for him to leave the 70-300 at home just because someone said, you cant use a telephoto zoom at a weding.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    no im not a wedding photographer. but since ive got back into photography i guess i kinda notice equipment a bit more and quite a few of the weddings ive been to ive just noticed the use of longer zooms is all. from some of the discussions on these boards, i also notice that some CSers use them for weddings.

i guess the point is, there isnt one ideal lens to be used for a wedding. and seeing as the original poster only has 2 lenses, i didnt think it was necessarily the best thing for him to leave the 70-300 at home just because someone said, you cant use a telephoto zoom at a weding.
    I believe catchlights said "but the 70~300 you have little change to use it." and the following posts explained why to quite a fair bit of comprehensive detail. I think no one said anyone cant use a telephoto at a wedding.

thanks for all the comments..
    the shoot I am doing is just for experience... will be evening outdoor ROM...
    the couple is my cousin... but I dun know the main photographer..
    and will be like a take-my-own shoots & also try learn something from the main photographer...
    hopefully will turn out some nice pictures... will be my first... abit nervous abt it

Quote Originally Posted by Aphotographer
    and will be like a take-my-own shoots & also try learn something from the main photographer...
    hopefully will turn out some nice pictures... will be my first... abit nervous abt it
    Hmmmm..
    Outdoor solemnisation held in the evening, hope you have a flash unit, you definitely need it, unless you want to take some kind of fine art wedding photos. eg extreme grainny, super lowkey, ultra motion blur, long light trail cut thru faces, ghost images etc...

It is normal to feel nervous about it, but you should stay clam, think ahead, act fast, and don't block the view or be in the background (try not to cross fire) of the main photographer.

Hope this helps.

nope I dun have a ext flash but I noted that is important to have so I had tried to obtained one... was actually wanting to buy 1 used one to start with.. but din know which is suitable for my 300D & also thinking of upgradability... looking @ 420, 430, 550EX
    but as this weekend shoot is in a rush, so managed to loan 1 580EX for this coming shoot to test out.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    No problem .. You takecare of the wedding couple .I takecare of shooting the sisters ..
    I help you carry your equipment

if u're early, can chit chat with the main photographer on how you could complement him (e.g. u help take shots of relatives while he focus on the couple).

besides what catchlight said abt blocking or being in background, if the main photographer is composing the shot, try not to do it at the same time because you may attract away the eye contact of some people and the resulting photos from both will be bad (with eyes looking at different directions).
    Last edited by mpenza; 14th June 2006 at 01:57 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    if u're early, can chit chat with the main photographer on how you could complement him (e.g. u help take shots of relatives while he focus on the couple).

besides what catchlight said, if the main photographer is composing the shot, try not to do it at the same time because you may attract away the eye contact of some people and the resulting photos from both will be bad (with eyes looking at different directions).
    Actually I've given up on getting 100% eye-contact, if I can get 70~80% I'm already very thankful

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Actually I've given up on getting 100% eye-contact, if I can get 70~80% I'm already very thankful
    It's definitely hard for dynamic/action shots But at the minimum, usually have to get the contact of the couple (it's good to remind them too before the start). For static shots (e.g. group photos), as the main, I'll either get the subjects to look at my camera and take first or let other photographers take and then I move in to re-arrange the position and take the shot

ideally i would love to have 10mm all the way to 200mm in my bag.

but whether i bring them, then use them, is another matter....

there are other considerations to take note such as... WEIGHT!!!

that said... i'm usually on 17-35, 50, 85.

70-200 comes out only if there's a church service just in case the 85 isn't long enuff and the priest/pastor super strict and can't go near them.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    ideally i would love to have 10mm all the way to 200mm in my bag.

but whether i bring them, then use them, is another matter....

there are other considerations to take note such as... WEIGHT!!!

yeah !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    yeah !!!!!!
    wah... ghost... someone still alive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    wah... ghost... someone still alive!!!

OF COS.......... ! NOT CALL WILLIAM FOR NOTHING.. HAHHAA........

Yes, like what mpenza says,

Please don't raise your camera while the main photographer is taking formal group photos.
    anyway, one good photo is better than two bad photos.

16-35, 17-40 and 50mm will be fighting with the main photog. 85mm will be a good choice. 70-200 will be a bit too tele.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Since this is your first time, and looking at your sig file, what you have is adequate.

Pros will tell you the absolute minimum would be a 17mm (EFFECTIVE) lens wide angle, then plus 70-200mm. f/2.8 of course. Then again, they charge pro rates.

If you're not charging $1000++, there's really nothing wrong with using a kit lens. 17-55 is flexible enough, yet forces you to think harder to make a better shot with the limitations you have. I myself have shot quite a few weddings exclusively with my cheapo kit 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, and all the couples seem happy with the results.

Generally, work with what you've got. Push your gear to its limits, then you'll have a clearer idea of what tools you really need to make better pictures.

All the best.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Since this is your first time, and looking at your sig file, what you have is adequate.

Pros will tell you the absolute minimum would be a 17mm (EFFECTIVE) lens wide angle, then plus 70-200mm. f/2.8 of course. Then again, they charge pro rates.

If you're not charging $1000++, there's really nothing wrong with using a kit lens. 17-55 is flexible enough, yet forces you to think harder to make a better shot with the limitations you have. I myself have shot quite a few weddings exclusively with my cheapo kit 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, and all the couples seem happy with the results.

Generally, work with what you've got. Push your gear to its limits, then you'll have a clearer idea of what tools you really need to make better pictures.

All the best.
    thanks for the advice... not charging at all.. since will be @ the function may as well use the chance to practise & shoot.. only if there r nice shoots then maybe give the couple as present

thanks for the advice... not charging at all.. since will be @ the function may as well use the chance to practise & shoot.. only if there r nice shoots then maybe give the couple as present
    No problems, yo. All the pros and experts give very good advice here. I'm a small-time enthusiast (check my sig file ) with shallow pockets, so I thought I'd give you some insights from my POV, too.

Then again, sometimes planning ahead and making informed choices is also important when selecting gear. Trial-and-error can get very tedious and expensive when it comes to photography! Do you have an external flashgun? IMHO, if you're gonna take a fair amount of indoor shots, that is the one accessory you can't afford to stinge on. But of course, if this is a once-off event, you may consider borrowing one instead.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast